treeduck

Darren Sproles to Saints: Cut me, don’t trade me

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/350x-915-e1353024687457.jpg?w=202

Darren Sproles does not want to be traded.

Sproles, the running back and return man whom the Saints are shopping around the league, told Josina Anderson of ESPN that if he has no future in New Orleans, he wants the team to cut him.

“I want to get released,” Sproles said. “I don’t want to be traded. I don’t know where they would send me because I have no control over it and I want to be able to pick. The good thing is none of the teams I’m told they’re talking to are terrible. It’s more than two. I feel I should have more of an idea later on today.”

It’s easy to see why Sproles would feel that way: You’d always rather control your own fate, and potentially negotiate a pay raise, than have someone else determine your future for you. But the reality is that the Saints are reportedly fielding several offers for Sproles, and they’d be fools not to get some compensation for Sproles if they can.

If Sproles is adamantly opposed to a trade, he could threaten to retire if the Saints trade him somewhere he doesn’t want to go. That might scare some teams off. But the most likely scenario is that the Saints trade Sproles to the team that offers them the best deal, and that Sproles ends up playing for that team, even if it’s a team that wouldn’t have been his top choice.

Kristian Garic @KristianGaric1

If #Saints are able to work a deal for Darren Sproles keep an eye on #Ravens as a possible trade partner, per source.

5:21 PM - 12 Mar 2014

The Ravens will be needing an every down back more than they need a 3rd down guy.

If #Saints are able to work a deal for Darren Sproles keep an eye on #Ravens as a possible trade partner, per source.

The Ravens will be needing an every down back more than they need a 3rd down guy.

The latest team to throw their hat into the ring are the Jets! Maybe this is why Darren's wife is MAD! :scared:

BikENNHIcAAbBMb.jpg

The latest team to throw their hat into the ring are the Jets! Maybe this is why Darren's wife is MAD! :scared:

BikENNHIcAAbBMb.jpg

Uh...OK... :huh:

rafael bush @rbush36

For people to comment on MY IG and call me Reggie lets me know how much sense some people lack.. Str8 airheads lmao

2:49 AM - 13 Mar 2014

rafael bush @rbush36

I mean my iG does say Rafael how could you get it confused look at the pics!!!

Darren Sproles traded to Philadelphia Eagles

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/07b0550d5ad6c372d5071855cfb556c9-e1394717520149.jpeg?w=224

Darren Sproles is on the move.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the New Orleans Saints have traded the versatile running back to Philadelphia, according to a source familiar with the deal. The Eagles later confirmed the trade.

The Saints received the Eagles' fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, per Rapoport. The fifth-rounder in question is the pick Philadelphia received when they traded Isaac Sopoaga last year to the Patriots.

The Eagles take on the final year and $3.5 million remaining on Sproles' deal.

The move ends nearly two weeks of speculation about the future of Sproles, who has spent the last three seasons with in New Orleans. He now joins another dynamic offense in Philadelphia, where his skill-set as a pass-catcher out of the backfield should make him a perfect fit for Chip Kelly.

"Darren Sproles is an unbelievable offensive weapon," Kelly said in a statement. "He can do it all, run, catch, plus he's a proven winner. And on top of that, he can bring all of those dynamic skills to the return game as well. There is no question we were all excited once we found out we were going to be able to trade for him."

Sproles, 30, finished last season with 43 carries for 220 yards and 71 receptions for 604 yards. He had four total touchdowns. In addition to a prominent role on offense, Sproles likely will become the Eagles' return man -- a position that's been a trouble spot for the team in recent years.

The acquisition also allows Kelly to ease the workload of LeSean McCoy, the reigning NFL rushing champion who was second in the league with 890 snaps.

The Washington Redskins reportedly were also interested in Sproles, but the Eagles got the deal done. The defending NFC East champions just got better.

Edited by treeduck

Saints splitting time in training camp between Louisiana and West Virginia

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/greenbrier.jpg?w=250

West Virginia’s unique, sprawling geography results in a strange blend of fan loyalties. In one area of the state, the Redskins rule. Elsewhere, it’s the Panthers. Toward southern Ohio, the Bengals become the preferred franchise.

I grew up in the Northern Panhandle, created when an encounter by Mason and Dixon with Native Americans caused them to stop their push to the Ohio River. While the sliver of four counties ended up not being Pennsylvania, it’s still an annexation of Steelers Country.

There’s now a new team for West Virginians to follow. This year, the Saints will conduct a portion of their training camp at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs.

Coach Sean Payton spent time there last year during an annual PGA event, caddying for Ryan Palmer. Payton realized that the climate, with much less heat and far more infrequent rain, is conducive to getting the most out of the limited reps of permitted during preseason practices under the 2011 CBA.

“No different than we do every year, we evaluate all areas of our operations and look for ways to improve,” Payton said in a team-issued release. “By splitting training camp between New Orleans and The Greenbrier, we will have a great opportunity to further enhance our training camp in 2014. We all understand the importance of training camp and ultimately, that’s to get the team ready for the regular season. As far as the time we will spend at The Greenbrier, it offers a tremendous opportunity to our team in a more moderate summer climate.”

G.M. Mickey Loomis echoed the notion that the climate will help the team better prepare for the 17-week grind.

“We feel like this decision will allow our team to best prepare for our 2014 season by practicing at our facility and also taking advantage of a more moderate climate and setting in West Virginia, similar to what we did in 2009 when we went to southern California for a week,” Loomis said. “I have always been a proponent of mixing up training camp every few years which I believe is a good strategy as we prepare for the season. With this plan, we get the best of both and that is important. We get quality practices in both locations and we get the benefits of having our fans support us during our time at home in Metairie and we get the opportunity for our team to unite at a location away from home.”

Regardless of what it means for the Saints, it will be a very welcome development for a state that remains one of the best-kept secrets in the nation. Some residents would prefer to keep it that way. Once the world gets a closer look at what West Virginia has to offer, that could change.

Saints finagle $3.13 million 2014 cap number for Byrd

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/byrd2.jpg?w=216

When the Saints signed safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year, $54 million deal, plenty of league insiders were stunned by the team’s ability to cram the contract into a cap crunch.

PFT has obtained the full details of the agreement, which shows how G.M. Mickey Loomis pulled it off.

The Saints combined an $11 million signing bonus with a fully-guaranteed (as of March 21, 2014) 2015 roster bonus of $6 million. Coupled with a fully-guaranteed base salary of $1.3 million for 2014, Byrd gets $18.3 million fully guaranteed at signing.

In 2015, Byrd will earn a base salary of $2 million. It’s guaranteed for injury only until March 2015, at which time it becomes fully guaranteed. Also, $6 million of his $7.4 million base salary for 2016 is guaranteed for injury only at signing; it becomes fully guaranteed in March 2016.

The base salaries for the final three years of the deal are $7.9 million in 2017, $8.4 million in 2018, and $8.6 million in 2019. He can earn $300,000 in each of those seasons via per-game roster bonuses.

If the salary cap grows as expected, the Saints should be able to retain Byrd for the full life of the contract, skills permitting. For now, it gives them the low cap number they desperately needed.

When New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension Wednesday, he also extended his love affair with Saints fans and a Saints career that epitomizes the mantra that Coach Sean Payton and his staff have chosen the best players regardless of how they arrived in New Orleans.

Thomas was an undrafted rookie in 2007 who managed to nudge past several other running back candidates, including fourth-round pick Antonio Pittman from Ohio State, to make the 53-man roster. Since, he has become one of the most beloved Saints, endearing himself to fans for his magnetic personality and to teammates for his reliability and productivity.

“It means a whole lot to me,” Thomas said. “This is where I started in the NFL, with this team, (and) it just shows that they really appreciate what I do for them, the work I put in out there on that field, day in and day out.

“It’s really a blessing just to get another extension after the amount of years I’ve played in the league. Just to say I’m continuing with one team, it means a lot. I’ve been hearing it from a lot of guys who’ve been in the league before me, they said it’s rough to try to stay with one team. Just for me to be there, going into my eighth year, it’s amazing to have a two-year extension. It truly is a blessing.

“I talked to Coach Payton. Coach Payton just told me how much he likes my game, how he’s liked me ever since (I joined the team) and what I contribute to the team, and he really wanted me to stay but it was really out of his hands. But it was up to Mickey and my agent do their thing, talk to each other and come up with a good deal. And that’s what we did.”

Thomas ran for a team-leading 549 yards and two touchdowns on 147 carries last season, and caught 77 passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns.

He’s the fourth-leading rusher in franchise history, with 3,523 yards on 773 carries. And, partially due to his success in perfecting the art of the screen pass, he also has caught 282 passes for 2,230 yards and 11 touchdowns.

During the Super Bowl season of 2009, Thomas ran for a career-high 793 yards and six touchdowns on 147 carries and led the team with 1,095 yards from scrimmage.

Only guard Jahri Evans, receiver Marques Colston and quarterback Drew Brees are longer-tenured Saints. Those three, punter Thomas Morstead and Thomas are the remaining players on the roster who were members of the Super Bowl team.

“There’s only a few of us that won the Super Bowl in ’09 that are on this team,” Thomas said. “It’s a room of new faces, a lot of younger guys and I remember when I was in their position, and (running back) Deuce (McAllister) was probably looking at me the same way – a young guy who wasn’t there for his run (of success).

“It’s just a crazy feeling to know that a lot of guys that I made relationships with through the past years aren’t playing with me anymore. I may have to play against them. But I keep in contact with them. They’re nothing but good players with great character and great attitudes. I’m going to be friends with them for life.”

The departure of some of those players – including linebackers Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma, cornerback Jabari Greer, safeties Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins and receiver Lance Moore – leaves Thomas in more of a leadership role.

“I look at it now, I’m going to have to be more of a verbal leader, because I’m one of the guys who has been here since ’07 and during the Super Bowl,” he said. “Some of the coaches are going to look to me to step up and be more of a verbal leader, and speak out to these guys, give them some knowledge of the game and what’s important to be successful.

“But personally, I like to lead by example. I like to go out there and show, ‘This is how it’s done, this is how you should do it, you should fight all the time, not give up no matter what the score is. No matter how many times you’ve messed up in a game, you’ve still got to improve yourself, still carry yourself in with a positive attitude out there on that field and off the field.’ ”

Edited by treeduck

New Orleans Saints show interest in cornerback Brandon Browner, but no confirmed visit, source says

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/brandon-browner-hands-neck.jpg

While the New Orleans Saints are interested in Seahawks free agent cornerback Brandon Browner, there's been no confirmed visit in place for Browner at this point, according to a league source.

Browner has reportedly met with New England and Washington during the open signing period of free agency. His case is much more unique than just about every other cornerback in the league next season.

The 6-foot-4, 221-pound defensive back will start the 2014 season with a four-game suspension and then play for free for the next four games as the NFL ripped away four game checks in a settlement with the league concerning a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

Browner would be able to participate in all offseason activities with a new team. Browner earned a spot in the Pro Bowl in 2011 with six interceptions. He only tallied 19 total tackles and one interception in eight games in 2013. A groin injury plagued Browner the back half of last season.

There's an expected open competition at cornerback for the second cornerback slot opposite Keenan Lewis with players like Corey White and Patrick Robinson vying for the job this offseason.

Tackle Zach Strief never set up a visit with Dolphins as interest from Saints continues, agent says

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/zach-strief64jpg-b9b1e0aa487b2d72.jpg

The Miami Dolphins have been courting New Orleans Saints free agent tackle Zach Strief since the start of free agency. There's been reports of Strief turning down a visit with the Dolphins, but Strief's agent Ralph Cindrich said no visit was ever scheduled.

The Dolphins were among a handful of teams interested in Strief and yet NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune has reported Strief has been willing to work with the Saints to make a deal happen. A return to the Saints seems to be the most likely landing point for Strief at this point as Cindrich said talks with the Saints are ongoing.

Strief, who turns 31 in August, is coming off his best season at right tackle, his third season as the starter for the Saints.

Tackle Zach Strief never set up a visit with Dolphins as interest from Saints continues, agent says

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/zach-strief64jpg-b9b1e0aa487b2d72.jpg

The Miami Dolphins have been courting New Orleans Saints free agent tackle Zach Strief since the start of free agency. There's been reports of Strief turning down a visit with the Dolphins, but Strief's agent Ralph Cindrich said no visit was ever scheduled.

The Dolphins were among a handful of teams interested in Strief and yet NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune has reported Strief has been willing to work with the Saints to make a deal happen. A return to the Saints seems to be the most likely landing point for Strief at this point as Cindrich said talks with the Saints are ongoing.

Strief, who turns 31 in August, is coming off his best season at right tackle, his third season as the starter for the Saints.

You know him better than I do but I wasn't all that excited about Strief. He IS though probably better than what we've got.

You know him better than I do but I wasn't all that excited about Strief. He IS though probably better than what we've got.

He's one of these guys who started as a nobody and got coached up by our O-line gurus and is now pretty solid. He's no superstar tackle though and he's 31, so even you signed him he's only good for a couple of years at best. We might re-sign him for that and he'd be fine with us knowing the system and our other O-line players. Somewhere else might see a drop-off though as he goes through a new learning curve and he might be over the hill by the time he knows a new system.

He's one of these guys who started as a nobody and got coached up by our O-line gurus and is now pretty solid. He's no superstar tackle though and he's 31, so even you signed him he's only good for a couple of years at best. We might re-sign him for that and he'd be fine with us knowing the system and our other O-line players. Somewhere else might see a drop-off though as he goes through a new learning curve and he might be over the hill by the time he knows a new system.

Coaching up and the Dolphins are mutually exclusive. If this is the case, then we're better off not signing him.

Coaching up and the Dolphins are mutually exclusive. If this is the case, then we're better off not signing him.

Well it's not like he needs to be coached up again, it's more just him getting used to whatever system is used in Miami or wherever. You can probably draft a better guy though for sure, even in round 3.

Well it's not like he needs to be coached up again, it's more just him getting used to whatever system is used in Miami or wherever. You can probably draft a better guy though for sure, even in round 3.

We need to draft 3 OLs to actually get one usable player. Besides, I don't think our systems are the same so he (would) have to be coached up (in our system) again.

If our systems ARE the same, then either our players are a lot more incompetent than I thought, or yours should be first ballot HOFers.

We need to draft 3 OLs to actually get one usable player. Besides, I don't think our systems are the same so he (would) have to be coached up (in our system) again.

If our systems ARE the same, then either our players are a lot more incompetent than I thought, or yours should be first ballot HOFers.

Well our guards are good, multi pro bowlers and Armstead looks good but we could do with drafting a good center and maybe a right tackle to replace Strief if we don't re-sign him.

What O-line players have the Dolphins got from free agency so far?

New Orleans Saints agree to one-year deal with linebacker Ramon Humber

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2013/08/13263017-mmmain.jpg

The New Orleans Saints held onto one of their own as the team agreed to terms with reserve linebacker Ramon Humber on a one-year contract, the team announced. Humber was one of the team's unrestricted free agents.

Humber (5 feet 11, 232 pounds) contributed in a backup role in 2013, but did tally 29 total tackles, a half sack and one pass defense in 16 games (three starts). He also was a stalwart on special teams, accounting for nine tackles.

It's the third re-signing by the Saints of one of their own unrestricted free agents this offseason. Kicker Shayne Graham and linebacker Keyunta Dawson also inked one-year deals earlier this offseason.

Well our guards are good, multi pro bowlers and Armstead looks good but we could do with drafting a good center and maybe a right tackle to replace Strief if we don't re-sign him.

Brendan "Uncle" Albert and that's it, as far as I know.

Are you happy with him?

Are you happy with him?

sure he's better than any tackle we had. I think we overpaid but not grossly so.