Official 2014 PGA Tour Thread

RushCanuck

BTW...played in a scramble today. We finished 10 under, good enough for third place. I missed KP by 3". 3'3" wasn't good enough.

It was soooooo cold though.

http://pausenthrow.com/wp-content/uploads/winter-golf-examiner.jpg

How many snowmans did you get?

("Snowmen" didn't sound right in this case.)

:D

PGA Wells Fargo tournament not what it once was but close

In the space of a few hours one day last week, the Wells Fargo Championship field lost one of the world’s best-known players and picked up another...Bubba Watson, the world’s fourth-ranked player and a few days removed from his Masters championship, withdrew from the Wells Fargo, which is scheduled for May 1-4 at Charlotte’s Quail Hollow Club. Later in the day, however, Phil Mickelson lessened the sting by committing to play.

Hougham is pleased with this year’s field, which is close to being set (entry deadline is Friday). Seven of the world’s top 20 players are heading to Charlotte, most notably ninth-ranked Mickelson and No. 10 Rory McIlroy. Rickie Fowler, the 2012 champion, is also back, as is 2013 U.S. Open champion Justin Rose and last year’s Wells Fargo winner Derek Ernst.

There are also plenty of top local tour players who have committed, including Charlotte residents Webb Simpson, Johnson Wagner and Brendon de Jonge, as well as Charlotte-native Bill Haas and Columbia’s Dustin Johnson.

There are myriad reasons why so many top players are skipping Charlotte next week. Not the least of them is the Wells Fargo being tightly sandwiched between the Masters and the upcoming Players Championship:

• World No. 2 Adam Scott and No. 15 Steve Stricker have cut back their schedules in recent years.

• Due to the global nature of golf, players like No. 3 Henrik Stenson, No. 8 Sergio Garcia and No. 17 Jason Dufner have international commitments and will miss the Wells Fargo and other PGA Tour events.

• Woods isn’t the only one injured. No. 6 Jason Day has a hurt wrist.

• Young star Jordan Spieth, who finished tied for second at the Masters and played last year at the Wells Fargo, is taking two weeks off (he’s also not playing at this week’s Zurich Classic New Orleans) to prepare for the Players and two ensuing tournaments in his home state of Texas. Others, including Matt Kuchar (last week’s winner at Hilton Head Island, S.C.), are also resting up this week.

Thoughts?.

Edited by goose

BTW...played in a scramble today. We finished 10 under, good enough for third place. I missed KP by 3". 3'3" wasn't good enough.

Hope your balls were orange or at least neon green.... :)

In the space of a few hours one day last week, the Wells Fargo Championship field lost one of the world’s best-known players and picked up another...Bubba Watson, the world’s fourth-ranked player and a few days removed from his Masters championship, withdrew from the Wells Fargo, which is scheduled for May 1-4 at Charlotte’s Quail Hollow Club. Later in the day, however, Phil Mickelson lessened the sting by committing to play.

Hougham is pleased with this year’s field, which is close to being set (entry deadline is Friday). Seven of the world’s top 20 players are heading to Charlotte, most notably ninth-ranked Mickelson and No. 10 Rory McIlroy. Rickie Fowler, the 2012 champion, is also back, as is 2013 U.S. Open champion Justin Rose and last year’s Wells Fargo winner Derek Ernst.

There are also plenty of top local tour players who have committed, including Charlotte residents Webb Simpson, Johnson Wagner and Brendon de Jonge, as well as Charlotte-native Bill Haas and Columbia’s Dustin Johnson.

There are myriad reasons why so many top players are skipping Charlotte next week. Not the least of them is the Wells Fargo being tightly sandwiched between the Masters and the upcoming Players Championship:

• World No. 2 Adam Scott and No. 15 Steve Stricker have cut back their schedules in recent years.

• Due to the global nature of golf, players like No. 3 Henrik Stenson, No. 8 Sergio Garcia and No. 17 Jason Dufner have international commitments and will miss the Wells Fargo and other PGA Tour events.

• Young star Jordan Spieth, who finished tied for second at the Masters and played last year at the Wells Fargo, is taking two weeks off (he’s also not playing at this week’s Zurich Classic New Orleans) to prepare for the Players and two ensuing tournaments in his home state of Texas. Others, including Matt Kuchar (last week’s winner at Hilton Head Island, S.C.), are also resting up this week.

Thoughts?.

And the beat goes on. Sure would be thrilled to have 7 of the top 20 in the world.... :sarcastic:

Thoughts?.

Not much you can do if a player is injured - it's a legitimate reason for not playing a tournament and you can't fault them for that.

Just my opinion, but I would like to see a higher minimum number of PGA tournaments that a player has to play in order to keep their PGA card. (I think it's currently 15, bump it up to 18 :finbar: ). It might help liven up some of the tournaments with weak fields for us fans.

Hope your balls were orange or at least neon green.... :)

My guess is "purplish red-bluish and half their normal size"...

• Like 2

Charlotte is pretty lucky with their leaderboard so far. I still didn't watch any and probably won't either.... :(

This week's tournament (Wells Fargo) is not that exciting so far, in my opinion.

Next week is the Players, one of my favorites. Jason Day won't be playing, unfortunately.

http://www.golfchann...thdraw-players/

It also sounds like some of the greens are in bad shape at the Players.

http://www.golfchann...e-week-players/

Thanks for the info. No Jason Day again either. Geez. I probably won't be watching that one either. What a crap year....

Looks like Phil is making things interesting in Charlotte....

A Sunday worth watching?... :huh:

I missed today's action, so I think I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm a Phil fan, so I hope he does well.

This one actually seems worth watching. I did have it on most of the day. I almost went to this one. My friend I went to Florida with works for Wells Fargo in Charlotte, NC. He couldn't get enough free tickets this year or I would have gone.... :(

Hey whatcha know? A real PGA tour event has broken out!! :cheers:

Oh Phil... :wtf: with the putter? :sigh:

Yowza!! I am not really a fan of his but this is painful to watch... :sigh: :blink:

Love the fact that J.B played it aggressive. Pull the driver and go for it. The bunker on 18 might as well not be there for him... :cheers:

That was heartwarming for sure. Way to go J.B.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Congrats to JB.

Now it's onto the Players... with the exception of the injured Woods and Day, everyone will be there... it's the 5th major. The 17th hole will no doubt claim many victims again.

• Like 1

Congrats to JB.

Now it's onto the Players... with the exception of the injured Woods and Day, everyone will be there... it's the 5th major. The 17th hole will no doubt claim many victims again.

We can hear about sh*t for greens all week.... :D Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1