Which studio album should I get next?

Counterpwnt

I must be! Roll The Bones is the only album in the box set I might label using "adequate". The tie track is decent, and a few others stand out, but its the most dated sounding Rush album production wise that I can think of!

More dated than Presto or Hold Your Fire? Very strange to hear.

My only real 'WTF??' moment in listening to the Rush catalog came when I first bought 'Roll the Bones' and heard the rap part. It wasn't in a good way, either, because I like the song but the rap parts disembowel it. Criiinge.

But hey, that's just me :) More power to those that dig it.

On the whole, I like the album itself for the most part. The production on 'Presto' and RTB were both a little light in the pocket.

I'd argue that HyF is closer to Power Windows in terms of production but the incredibly "dainty" sounding guitar makes it sound closer to presto at times. Presto and Roll the bones are arguably the worst rush albums and are without question the ones I play the least. Why they used Rupert Hine twice is beyond me.

My only real 'WTF??' moment in listening to the Rush catalog came when I first bought 'Roll the Bones' and heard the rap part. It wasn't in a good way, either, because I like the song but the rap parts disembowel it. Criiinge.

On the whole, I like the album itself for the most part. The production on 'Presto' and RTB were both a little light in the pocket.

I used to feel the same way about that rap. I kinda like it now... maybe seeing it live or via live video a number of times has softened its corny aspect for me.

I must be! Roll The Bones is the only album in the box set I might label using "adequate". The tie track is decent, and a few others stand out, but its the most dated sounding Rush album production wise that I can think of!

I'd argue that HyF is closer to Power Windows in terms of production but the incredibly "dainty" sounding guitar makes it sound closer to presto at times. Presto and Roll the bones are arguably the worst rush albums and are without question the ones I play the least. Why they used Rupert Hine twice is beyond me.

How strange...Roll The Bones is currently my favourite Rush album. Its so much fun and a great distraction from the cold weather!

My least favourite Rush albums are Rush and Power Windows. Both are more than solid, and testament to how much I love Rush, as both would be favourites from any other band of their respective era!

presto does sound quite dated, but HYF is at least obviously a product of its time

I used to feel the same way about that rap. I kinda like it now... maybe seeing it live or via live video a number of times has softened its corny aspect for me.

I think I'm the only person in the universe who loved it right from the start! Doubly so when I saw it live for the first time, with the video onscreen. :)

I first heard Roll The Bones on Rush In Rio. The rap part is offbeat, but it has always worked for me! Besides, the rest of the song is so good, especially the chorus, I think I'd love it even if I hated the rap part!
  • Like 1