There will be an opening band on the last tour, and here's what we're looking at.....

LocalsBandGuy

No, It's a fact because Geddy has already been on record that the full night RUSH format is over.

I put a lot of stock in what Geddy says about the bands future. I haven't seen or heard him make any references to this though.... not that I can remember anyhow. Do you have a link to an interview or video?

Is this the last tour? Will this next one really be the last? I am poor at the moment so I will never get the chance to see them!

And if I could pick a band, it would be Lacuna Coil. They have opened for bands like Opeth, Moonspell, Paradise Lost and a host of mainstream rock bands, as well as bands like System Of A Down, Motorhead, Megadeth, and Deftones. And they always fit!

Plus I love them, and I think it could be ace!

A warmup band would be an impurity, and would dilute/detract from a full, intimate Rush experience.

I'd say knock the show down to 2 hours stagetime, cut out the intermission all together and increase the bridge between songs, or certain points along the setlist, intercalate a relaxed and casual banter/interaction with the crowd during these periods. This would serve four positive purposes: One, the band gets to catch their breath and allows them greater stamina; two, makes the show more intimate; three, circumvents a lengthy over-cooling-off of both band and audience, and, 4, gets the band offstage in 2 hrs. Lets face it, we're all starting to get up there in age. Three hours is really too much. I'd much rather have a condensed 2 hour show in the above fashion.

appears you still enjoy intimacy with Rush GR79...there's hope for you yet!

I don't recall reading that anywhere - would love to see a link if possible. IMHO, I don't see Rush changing format. Shortening a bit but no opening band. Makes no sense for them unless they feel they need it to draw more fans. Don't need it.

A warmup band would be an impurity, and would dilute/detract from a full, intimate Rush experience.

I'd say knock the show down to 2 hours stagetime, cut out the intermission all together and increase the bridge between songs, or certain points along the setlist, intercalate a relaxed and casual banter/interaction with the crowd during these periods. This would serve four positive purposes: One, the band gets to catch their breath and allows them greater stamina; two, makes the show more intimate; three, circumvents a lengthy over-cooling-off of both band and audience, and, 4, gets the band offstage in 2 hrs. Lets face it, we're all starting to get up there in age. Three hours is really too much. I'd much rather have a condensed 2 hour show in the above fashion.

Oh, yeah. Corinthian leather!

• Like 1

I think the Foo Fighters would jump at the chance at being the opening band on RUSH's final Tour. Not only the Foo Fighter but Smashing Pumpkins as well. :codger:

The Foos would do it in a heartbeat for sure :yes:

The Foos might want to do it, but their management might not want it. The Pumpkins make more sense, both musically and with how popular (i.e., relatively not as popular as the Foos) they are now.

Oh, yeah. Corinthian leather!

Oh, the feel of Corinthians leather—Ricardo Montaban

They should do a festival format where every show starts at 3 or 4 PM and they got 4 or 5 bands to play for 30 minutes each. Then Rush starts at 8 and plays until 10.

Here comes the old guy again. :codger: I respect your opinion and if I were much younger and the lineup was..........

3:00 pm Moxy

4:00 pm Yesterday and Today

5:00 pm Pat Travers Band

6:00 pm Triumph

7:00 pm UFO

8:00 pm :rush:

I intentionally left off the really big bands that I would love to see in that format........ example Yes, AC/DC etc. But I would even drag my old ass to this show and maybe even show up early. No shuffle board even needed in the parking lot. :codger:

Moxy rules, went to school with Earl Johnson, but he wasn't Johnson then. !st album is a killer :rush:
  • Like 1

I don't recall reading that anywhere - would love to see a link if possible. IMHO, I don't see Rush changing format. Shortening a bit but no opening band. Makes no sense for them unless they feel they need it to draw more fans. Don't need it.

I don't remember that either. BUT I kind of remember something along the lines of Geddy saying, "...the 3 hour Rush format can't continue". But I take that as meaning a shorter Rush gig with JUST Rush (since no opening acts were even vaguely mentioned). Don't trust my memory though. I've had a long life of drugs and alcohol poisoning my brain :blaze:

The 3 hour show already died... they only did about ~2:30 of stage time on the last tour.

Geddy wasn't referencing the need for an opener with that comment.. just that they had trimmed down their own show already.

[in reference to my last post] It looks like a lifetime of poison hasn't completely destroyed my brain cells

They should do a festival format where every show starts at 3 or 4 PM and they got 4 or 5 bands to play for 30 minutes each. Then Rush starts at 8 and plays until 10.

Here comes the old guy again. :codger: I respect your opinion and if I were much younger and the lineup was..........

3:00 pm Moxy

4:00 pm Yesterday and Today

5:00 pm Pat Travers Band

6:00 pm Triumph

7:00 pm UFO

8:00 pm :rush:

I intentionally left off the really big bands that I would love to see in that format........ example Yes, AC/DC etc. But I would even drag my old ass to this show and maybe even show up early. No shuffle board even needed in the parking lot. :codger:

Moxy rules, went to school with Earl Johnson, but he wasn't Johnson then. !st album is a killer :rush:

Salutations to you my friend. :notworthy: I knew if I plugged Moxy in their that someone would be paying attention. I just have Moxy, Moxy II and Rid'in High. To me they were another one of those bands in my teen years that I thought were excellent but got no love from anyone else. I really think if they had gotten some airplay in the US things would have been different. Especially the debut album. There are many "catchy" tunes on there. Just my opinion as always..... :codger:

Personaly I like the Evening with Rush format and I hope that'll be not changed for another tour. If they bring back an opening act, give me a reunion of Porcupine Tree with Maitland on drums. Sadly life isn't always a bowl of cherries.

I don't know what difference a warm up band could possibly make at this late date. Has anyone here ever seen one that they liked? I did. Once. Out of all the concerts I went to from 1969 through 1989. Golden Earring. When they were the warm up for The Who during their Quadrophenia tour.

I don't know what difference a warm up band could possibly make at this late date. Has anyone here ever seen one that they liked? I did. Once. Out of all the concerts I went to from 1969 through 1989. Golden Earring. When they were the warm up for The Who during their Quadrophenia tour.

I've seen many that I've liked.

Muse

Joe Cocker

The guys that opened for Plant in 2010

Garbage

Metallica

Faith No More

Guns n Roses

Counting Crows

Goo Goo Dolls

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing, as this is just off the top of my head.

And I think that the difference is that people are assuming that if Rush are only going to play for 2 hours, they may want someone else to play for an hour to give us a "full" concert opinion. I'd go either way.

And I think that the difference is that people are assuming that if Rush are only going to play for 2 hours, they may want someone else to play for an hour to give us a "full" concert opinion. I'd go either way.

I personally have only seen a few opening acts that I liked. A few were planned and I knew they were playing and wanted to see them as much or almost as much as the headliner. These are many years ago but let me jog my memory......

Pat Travers Band opened for AC/DC 79'

Van Halen opened for Ted Nugent 79'

UFO opened for AC/DC 80'

I can only remember one band that opened that I didn't go specifically to see that surprised me and that was Blackfoot who opened one of the other Nugent shows I saw........ Can't recall the year

Edited by Narpet

I've seen many that I liked

Marillion opened for RUSH a few times.

Eric Johnson opened for RUSH

Primus opened for RUSH

Dream Theater opened for Iron Maiden

King's X opened for Dream Theater

Crimson Projeckt opened for Dream Theater

Redemption opened for Dream Theater

There are lots more but those are the first few that come to mind.

I realize I am just an old fart and have been living under a large rock for 25 years or so but............. I really don't want to see an opening band. This is just a personal thing, but I wouldn't know the music and wouldn't probably care. Unless they have some band that was around in my "era", I have no interest in that any longer. I would rather just see and hear them as long as possible. Just my opinion as always :codger:
Everyone in this forum understands this sentiment. Seems like you're starting something new by joining TRF. So, you're still expanding your horizons. Do yourself a favor and check out foo fighters or smashing pumpkins...there's something there for you I promise.

Seeker, it has nothing to do with being an old fart or not. Opening acts tend to suck in general. Well, except back in the 70's/80's when both bands were worthy of being the headlining act. But opening acts for Rush are usually a drag. I remember having to sit through Mr Big opening for Rush on the Presto tour. Not only does Mr Big not really have good songs but it wasn't a match for Rush music. I'd rather see a band that has a new progressive sound. If there is to be an opening act for Rush again then I trust Rush's judgement on who they might select. We don't hear all the rock bands that come out of Canada. I'm sure there are some talented bands up there that would keep our interest and play a good show. But, it's like seeing opening bands for U2. The opening acts suck and when I go to a Rush show or a U2 show, I am there for their music only. Both these bands have achieved such status that they can get away with no opening acts. U2 still has opening acts. But I don;t want anything other than An Evening with Rush. Not to mention, it's a long time to be standing there, I don't care how young or old, when you're bored with the opening act it sucks standing there. Rush fans don't wanna hear anything other than Rush. Screw the opening act. As for The Foo Fighters and The Smashing Pumpkins, well, The Smashing Pumpkins SUCK!!!! Since when did they expand anyones horizons? Really?! I mean, that singer actually sings that way?! f**k that group! They are a perfect example of why the 90's was such shit. As for the Foos, good radio rock songs but not interesting. Boring actually. I'd be f*ckin' pissed if I had to sit through either of these bands. Well, I wouldn't be sitting because I'm usually very close to the stage. But I'd be out roaming the halls and making friends with all the Rush fans that feel the same way until the opening band finished. But if there is gonna be an opening act then my vote goes to April Wine or Zebra. Not that either of those two would happen but that's a much better match. Smashing Pumpkins, gimme a break. Maybe Filter can open up too or Nine Inch Nails. Maybe POTUSA or The Offspring could open. How about Paula Cole or Luscious Jackson? Maybe Cake or Bush. How about Weezer? I mean, if we're gonna have stupid f*ckin' 90's bands opening up then here's your Rush setlist,

Set 1: Test For Echo (in its entirety)

Set 2: Counterparts (in its entirety)

Encore: Roll The Bones (entire album in a medley)

Most Rush fans favorite era is the late 70's through the early 80's. So IF there was an opening act then it'd make sense to pair the band up with bands from that era. Or, introduce us to something we haven't heard of yet. But I hope they don't have an opening act.

As far as Primus, I've seen them a a couple times at the Ozfests. I just don't get their music. The songs aren't any good. Yeah the bass playing is wicked but the songs suck.

Seeker, if you got with the times then you'd be wearing you pants way below your waist, you ball cap sideways and the cap would have an oversized bill, don't forget your bling-bling and your wife-beater muscle shirt, and you'd talk like, "yo! yo! wha'dup dog? Y u dissin' me?" It doesn't matter when you were born. Good music is good music and stuff that sucks simply sucks. I hate country music but not the stuff from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There were some very good songs then. Old Motown and Soul, it's not in my i-pod but it was good. If your family is telling you to get with the times then my guess is you need to update how you're listening to your music. Yeah, ditch the cassette player and portable disc player. You deserve better. Put all your songs in an i-pod. But I know kids half my age that love Pink Floyd and Led Zep and they are bummed that they didn't grow up with that music. They love when I introduce them to more stuff from the era before Cobain killed himself and took the industry down with him. If you don't understand the modern stuff, it's not because of age. Put it this way, Incubus is a very good band. They are very talented and have some very good songs. But they can't make a good album from start to finish. And something else to remember, and I don't know your age but I'm pretty sure we come from the same era, or pretty close at least. We are that generation that doesn't grow up in many ways. We still like Star Wars and still think the X-Wing Fighter is a cool ship and still wanna own one and fly one. We still like the Trans Am in the first Smokey and the Bandit and still wanna own one. We still go to rock concerts and still feel like a kid at these shows. We had alot of cool popculture growing up that other generations didn't have. It's a little different for you because you have a wife and kids. I have a cat, so I can be whatever age I want. But be yourself and enjoy what always made you happy. I don't hate the 90's beacause I was out of high school then. There were just horrible bands then. They didn't add anything new. There were some good albums and some new sounds but for the most part it was pathetic and so bad that it was offensive. And no ofense to Tombstone, I don't mean to attack anyone's taste in music, not everyone will agree with what I like, but those 90's bands really piss me off. And by the way, I totally noticed the Sad Wings of Destiny album cover you have pictured with your posts. That's one of the best metal albums ever and totally underrated. I love Deceiver! I'm not sure what all you like these days but I'll throw a couples bands your way. You may already be familiar but here goes. Trapt, check out the CD Someone in Control. They are a very good and underrated modern hard rock band. I see that you are a Yes fan. Did you like Asia? They reunited and did 3 more albums. Omega is the middle one and has some good songs on it. I'd say it's more than half good. The secong track, Through My Veins, and the third track, Holy War, are very good songs. Sevendust has a very good album, Animosity. I'm not too crazy about the first two tracks but it really takes off after that. Great percussion and unpredictable progressions. They have good songs on the next two albums after that but they also try to just make noise and buncha double bass and roaring. You may already know all this, if so, sorry. Just sounded like you hadn't heard anything new or recent in a while. I'm guessing you never heard this band before though, To Die For. They're from Finland I believe. A dark, gothic, talented metal band. Not sure the wife will like this band since you're a Priest fan you may like them. Their early stuff was good. Check out the songs, Little Deaths, Vale of Tears, and Loveless. Stupid-ass Smashing Pumkins! If you have ever seen the show South Park, well, picture Eric Cartman singing. That's what Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan sounds like. Looks like too!

Rock on Seeker!

• Like 2

Wow. Welcome to The Forum and you go! If i could type worth a Sh*t, I may have gone all out like you did. I was just making a personal point for me. Unless some band that I loved from the 70's or early 80's shows up to open, I am not interested. That simple. I listed a few in a later post that would work for me. They are not the major bands of that day, but they are good....... Just my opinion as always :codger:

I realize I am just an old fart and have been living under a large rock for 25 years or so but............. I really don't want to see an opening band. This is just a personal thing, but I wouldn't know the music and wouldn't probably care. Unless they have some band that was around in my "era", I have no interest in that any longer. I would rather just see and hear them as long as possible. Just my opinion as always :codger:
Everyone in this forum understands this sentiment. Seems like you're starting something new by joining TRF. So, you're still expanding your horizons. Do yourself a favor and check out foo fighters or smashing pumpkins...there's something there for you I promise.

As for The Foo Fighters and The Smashing Pumpkins, well, The Smashing Pumpkins SUCK!!!! Since when did they expand anyones horizons? Really?! I mean, that singer actually sings that way?! f**k that group! They are a perfect example of why the 90's was such shit.

I think you very adequately summed up why old people suck and don't know a damn thing about music. Extra irony points for making the same comments about Corgan's voice that people made about Geddy's, and criticizing the band's style the same way critics criticized Rush's.

• Like 2