Rush Songs that peak early

tx_rush

I was thinking about this, a song I really love is Vapor Trail. However, to me, after the midway point, I feel like the best is over, and the rest of the song is just kinda meh.

What other songs are like this?

I would also ask, what other songs take a long time to heat up?

Wow, so much good happens in the second half of VT. The peaking guitars after 3:00 and powerfully strong Alex tones at 3:45.. the newly revealed Geddy vocalizations at the end. It's all good, bro.

Oh sorry, please resume thread. :)

• Like 1

I was thinking about this, a song I really love is Vapor Trail. However, to me, after the midway point, I feel like the best is over, and the rest of the song is just kinda meh.

The Necromancer takes a long time to get going, but I love the atmospheric build-up.

Pretty much every song on S&A minus Hope, Far Cry, and Mal Nar goes on for too long, and therefore "peaks" too early.

The Necromancer takes a long time to get going, but I love the atmospheric build-up.

Pretty much every song on S&A minus Hope, Far Cry, and Mal Nar goes on for too long, and therefore "peaks" too early.

Good points. I would not put the necromancer in their, its a necessary build up.

I would add "presto" as well. at about 3 mins, it becomes a completely different song that rocks

That's a tough question. Most of the Rush songs I love, I love all the way through, but I guess for me maybe one would be The Fountain Of Lamneth, because "In The Valley" is by far my favourite part of the suite. But there's plenty of other good stuff in that suite, and of course, the musical themes of "In The Valley" come back around at the end in "The Fountain," so maybe that doesn't count.

You pretty much described my experience with practically all the songs from VT, S&A, and CA.

• Like 1

A song that takes a while to warm up for me but then gets MUCH better is "Good News First." I don't really like the song very much, but at 3'00" or so there is a bridge ("some would say they never fear a thing") that is great and then the instrumental part over the bridge's chord progression (around 3'35") may be my favorite part of the whole album. That ends at 4'00". I can't really think of another Rush song where I am really unenthused by the main part but am totally into one minute in the middle of the song.
  • Like 1

A song that takes a while to warm up for me but then gets MUCH better is "Good News First." I don't really like the song very much, but at 3'00" or so there is a bridge ("some would say they never fear a thing") that is great and then the instrumental part over the bridge's chord progression (around 3'35") may be my favorite part of the whole album. That ends at 4'00". I can't really think of another Rush song where I am really unenthused by the main part but am totally into one minute in the middle of the song.

Completely agreed, I love that song, and primarily for that 1 minute

• Like 1

Completely agreed, I love that song, and primarily for that 1 minute

To me, lots of Rush songs are just great all the way through, but almost all of the others have cool parts mixed with lame parts. Whether or not I like those songs depends the balance of those elements!

Part of the reason that Rush so towers in my esteem is that songs of theirs that only have cool parts so greatly outnumber the ones that only have lame parts :yes: :LOL: :wub:

I was really dissapointed that when they played Mal-Nar live they didn't rock out at the end of it in the same way they did with LTTA rather than play it note for note off the record, bit of a wasted opportunity i feel for a jam and a bass solo!

I love 'Good News First'. Just reading what you wrote, and listening to it in my head, gave me shivers. And that part you describe - the entire bridge - is really great, though I'm keen for the entire song. I love Geddy's way of singing this one.

• Like 1

For me the song that peaks way to early is The Body Electric, one of my least favorite of the rush catalogue, I never was a fan of the flow of this one, and it felt like it was building up to something, but the guitar solo does not come close to what could have made this song great (in my opinion). All that aside however, you can't deny the awesome drum and bass opening to it. Every time it comes up I break into a furious whip of an air drum for 20 seconds before hitting skip. For songs that take a while to reach it's peak, that would have to be Presto (The bridge is awesome and well worth the wait of the otherwise slow somewhat dragging song) and Red Lenses (A very weird song at first, but once that soft piano and marimba part comes in, and crashes into the rocking version of it, and ending with that awesome drum and bass, it is well worth the wait for one of Rush's best instrumental breaks)

I wouldn't quite call it "early", but all the chorus repeats on Headlong Flight after the guitar solo water the song down for me.

A trio of songs on T4E: Half The World, Color of Right, Carve Away The Stone all start off with nice riffs but you wait for something more to happen.. and wait... and wait... and wait... song over :doh:

As for taking a while to kick in:

Bravado: The studio RTB version never truly takes off, the outro on DS was a revelation.

Camera Eye: It's 3 minutes of instrumental before they get to the lyrics. Good, but not electrifying. I have the same problem with....

Xanadu :o : I LOVE this song when it finally hits, but all that pseudo-woodsy stuff at the start that seemed cool 20+years ago when I first got AFTK now makes me feel like a Monty Python Gumby yelling "GET ON WITH IT!!!" :smash:

For me the song that peaks way to early is The Body Electric, one of my least favorite of the rush catalogue, I never was a fan of the flow of this one, and it felt like it was building up to something, but the guitar solo does not come close to what could have made this song great (in my opinion). All that aside however, you can't deny the awesome drum and bass opening to it. Every time it comes up I break into a furious whip of an air drum for 20 seconds before hitting skip. For songs that take a while to reach it's peak, that would have to be Presto (The bridge is awesome and well worth the wait of the otherwise slow somewhat dragging song) and Red Lenses (A very weird song at first, but once that soft piano and marimba part comes in, and crashes into the rocking version of it, and ending with that awesome drum and bass, it is well worth the wait for one of Rush's best instrumental breaks)

While I like the entire song Presto, I agree that the bridge is the best part. We should have a separate thread for songs where the bridge is your favorite part!