Moonshine

Answering me own question:

I have tried moonshine three times in me life.

The first years ago, the second two rather recently (within months). All times were very smooth, very fine, totally killer stuff.

The thing about good moonshine is that it is so smooth, yet so strong, that one could easily overdose and friggin die (perhaps) if one didn't know ahead of time what one was getting into.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

That's the one thing that always disapointed me.

In my first year at University, I got to know an Irish girl who's grandfather made Poteen. At the end of the year, she promised to bring me some back for the start of the new term. Alas, over the summer holidays, she dropped out and I never got to try any.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 8 2005, 08:16 PM)
That's the one thing that always disapointed me.

In my first year at University, I got to know an Irish girl who's grandfather made Poteen. At the end of the year, she promised to bring me some back for the start of the new term. Alas, over the summer holidays, she dropped out and I never got to try any.

Dude, I am not talking about any foreign crap. I am talking about a mystical beverage made only in secluded magical backwaters of the hidden places of america, by wondrous formulas passed down for generations, from the Cherokee king himself (or so the stories go anyway)

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 02:24 AM)
Well, if the American beers I've tried are anything to go by, I hold little faith in your methods of alcohol production.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Jul 9 2005, 04:20 AM)
a mystical beverage made only in secluded magical backwaters of the hidden places of america

rofl3.gif Pirate should write commercials. Made me thirsty.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 04:24 AM)
Well, if the American beers I've tried are anything to go by, I hold little faith in your methods of alcohol production.

Try a microbrew.

QUOTE (Huck @ Jul 8 2005, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 02:24 AM)
Well, if the American beers I've tried are  anything to go by, I hold little faith in your methods of alcohol production.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I'll wager your knowledge of American beers is woefully outdated.

Time was, not too long ago, there was all too much truth in that joke: "what does american beer have in common with making love in a canoe?" Answer: "both are f***ing close to water."

That is no longer the case, THANK GOD, since the rapid expansion of micro-breweries in the US in the past decade. Now, the US is blessed with an extraordinarlly delightful variety of an amazing diversity of beers, so your generalization is completely false.

If you have sampled only a few varieties of poor american beer, that is your loss, considering the much greater constellation of much better varieties circulating in the beer universe.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jul 8 2005, 08:29 PM)
Well, if the American beers I've tried are  anything to go by, I hold little faith in your methods of alcohol production.

Try a microbrew.

Crap.

Perhaps I need to take lessons in short and to the point writing from Rivendell.

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Jul 8 2005, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jul 8 2005, 08:29 PM)

Try a microbrew.

Crap.

Perhaps I need to take lessons in short and to the point writing from Rivendell.

Both DPR and Riv are right. American macro brews are the worst beers on the planet, but our micro brews are extraordinary. Very flavorful, and they actually taste good as they warm up!

trink38.gif

Oh, and yes, I've tried moonshine. It was several years ago. It had virtually no taste, except for the expected burn going down. I don't know if it was considered "good" shine or not.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 01:48 AM)
I actually brought up the centuries old Poteen mainly due to its purported effect of causing hallucinations as you sober up

I've never heard of it.

But it sounds interesting.

I used to drink vast quantities of that magical elixir AKA "Mountain Tequila". I went to school in the mountains of NC and I could score a half gallon of the goods for $15-20. I recently moved back to the area and there is a still plenty to be had!

The quality is completely contingent on the producer. Some of it is excellent. Like any illicit substance its good to know the source. I personally always let my roomate drink a few shots first, if he still could see I figured it was safe.

Edited by tangdog

I am almost ashamed to say that having grown up and lived most of my life in the American Southeast I've never even seen moonshine, much less tried any. I tried some homemade rhubarb wine once, though. It was OK, a little too sweet for my taste.

Had some on my trip through the Mississippi Delta a few years ago.

I had stopped at a roadside place to get some eats and i started talking to the owner about all sorts of stuff,we hit it off and talked for quite a long time, drinking beers. Eventually he went inside and came out with a jar of clear liquid...woooheeee......

not to be taken lightly!