Outside writers?

Dscrapre

So, I was checking the lyrics to Tears when I noticed the writers credits. It said "Geddy Lee, David Rotheray, James Gerard McDermott, and Paul Heaton".

I didn't know that Rush ever employed outside songwriters (Aside from Mr. Dubois' contributions to Tom Sawyer and Between Sun and Moon).

Any other songs with outside songwriters?

So, I was checking the lyrics to Tears when I noticed the writers credits. It said "Geddy Lee, David Rotheray, James Gerard McDermott, and Paul Heaton".

I didn't know that Rush ever employed outside songwriters (Aside from Mr. Dubois' contributions to Tom Sawyer and Between Sun and Moon).

Where did you see this? None of the versions of the album I have say this.

Really? On the LP I thought it just credits Lee for that one.

Another outside writer is Peter Talbot on 'Closer To The Heart'. I'd love to know who he is!

"'Closer to the Heart' is a bit different from any song we've done. It was based on somebody else's idea. It came from Peter Talbot. He's a radio and media person and a very prolific writer, so every time we get out there he gives me a big pile of stuff like this to take home. 'Closer to the Heart,' the title and the first verse, comes from him." - Neil Peart, Circus, October 13, 1977

• Like 1

You must have the Chinese bootleg versions.

You must have the Chinese bootleg versions.

I don't think bootleg blu-rays work very well. At least not the ones I got in China.

Edited by LedRush

Where did you see this?

Perhaps here?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/tears.html

Where did you see this?

Perhaps here?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/tears.html

And Burt Bacharach co-wrote Speed Of Love! :o

Another outside writer is Peter Talbot on 'Closer To The Heart'. I'd love to know who he is!

"'Closer to the Heart' is a bit different from any song we've done. It was based on somebody else's idea. It came from Peter Talbot. He's a radio and media person and a very prolific writer, so every time we get out there he gives me a big pile of stuff like this to take home. 'Closer to the Heart,' the title and the first verse, comes from him." - Neil Peart, Circus, October 13, 1977

Thanks LedRush- I found a transcript of the interview here, in case anyone's interested. :)

http://www.2112.net/...71013circus.htm

Thanks LedRush- I found a transcript of the interview here, in case anyone's interested. :)

http://www.2112.net/...71013circus.htm

Cohen asked some weird questions.

Cohen: Did you ever hear a piece of music you're sure comes from out of this world?

Cohen: Do you think your music exists in mid-air?

• Like 1

It's seems to say it on all of the lyrics websites.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't treat any of them as a definitive source for songwriting credit.

Edited by JARG

Neil Diamond was a ghost writer on I think I'm going Bald..

I thought that was Frank Zappa.. !

It's seems to say it on all of the lyrics websites.

Sorry for being a stinker. Those lyric sites all copy off one another. Not the best places for accuracy. Those dudes did not write with Geddy.

Sorry for being a stinker. Those lyric sites all copy off one another. Not the best places for accuracy. Those dudes did not write with Geddy.

Especially since Heaton and Rotheray were about 14 when 2112 was released.

No idea who McDermott could be!

• Like 1