According to a new report, Paul McCartney dispatched his manager Scott Rodger to preview selections of several rough mixes from his upcoming album at a low-key listening session at Manhattan's Avatar Studios. The still-unnamed album, which could be out as early as October, was partially recorded at Avatar, along with George Martin's AIR Studios, McCartney's Sussex, England studio -- The Mill —as well as the legendary Abbey Road.

EastVillageRadio.com reported: "The songs still have no titles; nor does the album, for that matter. According to Scott, these random samples of what has been completed so far were not played in any precise order or selected for any particular reason. Nevertheless, what he wished to make clear in his preface to the listening session was his opinion that the music ultimately to be included on this forthcoming album is Paul's 'best work since the late '70's.'"

His best work since the late '70's? Hey, if it's as good as the criminally underrated Back to the Egg I'm going to be one happy Paul McCartney fan.

When Kisses on the Bottom was released I remember reading somewhere that he had another album lined up for 2013 and it was more rock oriented. I wonder if Dave Grohl makes an appearance?

His 90's/00's albums were, for the most part, terrific. If he can match the quality of Flaming Pie or Chaos & Creation In The Backyard, I'll be one happy camper.

If you take the highlights from Flaming Pie to Memory Almost Full you would get one killer compilation. For instance, how good a song is "Souvenir"?

• Like 1

The last Macca album I really played as in the old days was Flowers In the Dirt

Since then they have been ok albums

For me Ram is an underratted masterpiece ! :finbar:

• Like 2

His 90's/00's albums were, for the most part, terrific. If he can match the quality of Flaming Pie or Chaos & Creation In The Backyard, I'll be one happy camper.

If you take the highlights from Flaming Pie to Memory Almost Full you would get one killer compilation. For instance, how good a song is "Souvenir"?

Fabulous. Most of Flaming Pie is. Useless FACTOID: Calico Skies was one of my wedding songs.

Have you got the Ram boxset? Holy shitballs, it's amazing.

• Like 1

Better than Tug of War?

Tug of War is early 80's!!! Late 70's is Wings territory!

Exactly. I interpret them to be saying its better than anything from the 80s, 90s or 00s. Tug of War is my favorite McCartney solo album. If his new stuff is better than that, I'm going to be blown away.

He's done a fabulous job with all his boxset reissues. It amazes me how many great songs were relegated to b-sides. "Oh Woman, Oh Why" - crunching guitars and that raspy McCartney howl.

• Like 2

He's done a fabulous job with all his boxset reissues. It amazes me how many great songs were relegated to b-sides. "Oh Woman, Oh Why" - crunching guitars and that raspy McCartney howl.

Yeah, it's like he carried that Beatles tradition into his solo work. Was reading how Rain and Paperback Writer didn't make it onto Revolver because... they were released as a stand-alone single first. :doh:

I have the 2cd Ram which it`s self is brilliant .

So I can imagine how good the Box set is .

Yeh, the remasters are superb .

So far I have

Band On The Run 2cd

McCartney 2cd ,

Wings Over America .

Lookin forward to Wild Life . :D

Edited by By Tor

So far I have

Band On The Run 2cd

McCartney 2cd ,

Wings Over America .

Yes, Wings Wild Life. I remember back in the early 70's setting up some action figures and such on a "stage" and having Paul McCartney concerts, playing his newest solo LP on my little portable turntable. Ha, I was such a Beatles geek as a youngster.

So far I have

Band On The Run 2cd

McCartney 2cd ,

Wings Over America .

Yes, Wings Wild Life. I remember back in the early 70's setting up some action figures and such on a "stage" and having Paul McCartney concerts, playing his newest solo LP on my little portable turntable. Ha, I was such a Beatles geek as a youngster.

I saved up all year for holiday money and off we went to Blackpool and I spent all my money on Ram , Red Rose Speedway and a McCartney poster :P

• Like 1

Paul McCartney has confirmed that his new, still untitled, studio album will be released before the end of the year, according to Showbiz 411. McCartney talked about the album in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone as part of the magazine's fall music preview, likening the material to the Beatles' classic works, which spanned multiple genres over a single album side, recalling, "There would be something like 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?' right next to 'Blackbird' or 'Something' next to 'I Want You (She's So Heavy).' I mean, we really ran the changes. This has turned out a little bit like that. . . The continuing thing that pulls it all together, I think, is the fact that it's me." [/Quote]

Ethan Johns, one of the four producers on Paul McCartney's upcoming album, shed some light on the sessions for a new song, called, "Hosannah." Johns, who's the son of producer-engineer Glyn Johns -- best known for his work with the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Who -- has his own roll call of credits including Rufus Wainwright, Kaiser Chiefs, Ryan Adams, and Kings Of Leon -- which is where McCartney first heard his work.

Johns explained the process for the four tracks he recorded with the former Beatle at George Martin's AIR Studios in London: "It was very low-key. (The idea was), 'Let's just go and hang out for a few days, play some music, have a bit of fun and see what we come up with. The first day we had was remarkable. He walked in with this incredible song, we threw up a couple of microphones and within four hours, we had this great track. I think we did an edit between the first two takes. It had an incredible feel -- a really evocative piece of music, avery interesting lyric, and the performance was great. Then we started to experiment with it, and I put a bunch of psychedelic strangeness on it. You have fun. 'Oh, try this! Do that!' It's just very inspiring to be around."

He went on to talk about McCartney's excitement at collaboration : "The first thing he said was, 'What do you feel like doing? I could have said, 'Let's spend the day making percussion loops with drum machines,' and he would have been, 'Great! Let's do that!' I don't think he ever said 'No,' which is kind of the mark of who he is as an artist, really. He's always up for trying something new."

McCartney and Johns went on to work as a two-man band at the legendary Abbey Road Studios, with Johns contributing guitar, keyboards, and drums, with McCartney supplying guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards to the analog recorded tracks: "It was revelatory for me, recording Paul in that space having listened to the sound of those Beatles records. He plugged in his bass, I put a microphone in front of it, walked upstairs into the control room, pushed the fader up, and (that sound) came out of the speakers immediately. I didn't have to do anything! It was a pretty major light bulb for me. People get so fixated on the equipment and the gear, and those things are important -- but ultimately, the bass sound on Revolver is Paul. Paul could be playing anything and he will get that sound."

[/Quote]

The last Paul album I bought was The Fireman. It has some good areas but...just could not get into it.

I listened to Band on the Run a lot in my college and bought the re-release a few years back. Classic.

Back to the Egg is really good as well. Paul's Wonderful Christmas Time is my fave 'modern' Xmas song.

I really dig McCartney II.

TURN UP THE VOLUME ON THIS ONE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJF394LbC8

another song from the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLSSGra1HI

Edited by custom55