Star Wars Ep. 7 Update...character development, less CGI

Presto-digitation

Kathleen Kennedy (SW Ep. 7) is working daily with director JJAbrams and writers Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine; Toy Story 3) and Lawrence Kasdan (Empire, Jedi, Raiders)...focusing on story and characters:

Executive producer Kathleen Kennedy has given an update on the production of Episode VII at Star Wars Celebration Europe.

Kennedy revealed she is currently dividing her time between Lucasfilm – where she's sat in George's old office, by the way – and Bad Robot, where she's busy having extensive story meetings with J.J. Abrams and the rest of the writing team, including Empire Strikes Back scribe Lawrence Kasdan. And that emphasis on story and character came up repeatedly during today's panel, hosted by Warwick Davis.

"The story and characters are all we’re talking about right now," said Kennedy. "We have an amazing team at ILM, who can create fantastic effects, but if we don’t have a great story and characters, the effects mean nothing."

For Kennedy these elements are crucial to making enduring blockbuster entertainment. She should know, of course, working on the likes of ET, Back to the Future, and The Sixth Sense, to name just three.

"I do think making huge popular culture – and I’ve had the good fortune to be a part of a lot it – is really hard to do and get right. And if you don’t spend the time you need on developing characters, and finding stories, complicated stories, the audience gets tired because they think they’re seeing the same thing again and again."

Kennedy also went on to talk about the use CG effects, which many believe the Star Wars prequels relied upon too heavily. Kennedy is uniquely placed to comment on the relationship between traditional special effects and CG effects, since she worked not only on the very first CG composited shot in the history of film (it was in Young Sherlock Holmes, if you were wondering), but also produced Jurassic Park, which helped pioneer the technology that features so heavily in today's blockbusters. Clearly, it's something she's still passionate about. "There's nothing more exciting than to be involved in that kind of technological innovation," said Kennedy. "When the story ideas you're working on contribute to pushing the technology, I really think that's what's so exciting about our business. It's when the imagination drives innovation and new design."

But she's also wary of films becoming overly reliant on this technology, forgetting older methods. Jurassic Park is a great example of how CG can be successfully blended with practical effects, and it seems this philosophy, also informed by the original Star Wars trilogy, will underpin the production of Episode VII and the future sequels. "It's a conversation we're having all the time in the development of Episode VII. Looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feel for what even some of the early films did, combining real locations and special effects – that's something we're looking very seriously at."

This resulted in rapturous applause from the audience, with many glowing lightsabers being waved in frantic approval. "So we're going to find some very cool locations that we're going to use in support of Episode VII," promised Kennedy. "And I think we're probably going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox to create the look of these movies."

And when Davis asked what exactly was in that toolbox, Kennedy said, "It's using model makers; it's using real droids; it's taking advantage of artwork that you actually can touch and feel. And we want to do that in combination with CG effects. We figure that's what will make it real."

I would like cgi to be used solely for flavor. No major characters are vehicles should be cgi. The actual models just look right for ships. Puppet yoda looks so much better than cgi yoda.
  • Like 1

"We have an amazing team at ILM, who can create fantastic effects, but if we don’t have a great story and characters, the effects mean nothing."

Hey George, imagine that! :smash:

And imagine the actors having a real SCRIPT! Real, intelligent dialogue that even grown-ups can appreciate!

Bonus points for Disney for going back to the guy who wrote for Empire Strikes Back.

So far, it looks like the Star Wars franchise is in good hands.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/star-wars-promotions-bring-the-force-to-the-ballpark/

http://cdn.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jerseys-900635-300x211.jpeg

Star Wars nights in minor league baseball? Really wish there was a promotion night at the SA Missions games if only to watch all the dressed-up people get scared when a foul ball comes their way... like ewoks.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/star-wars-promotions-bring-the-force-to-the-ballpark/

http://cdn.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jerseys-900635-300x211.jpeg

Star Wars nights in minor league baseball? Really wish there was a promotion night at the SA Missions games if only to watch all the dressed-up people get scared when a foul ball comes their way... like ewoks.

It's not just the minors. The rays have a Star Wars night every season.

http://www.baseballa...o-the-ballpark/

It's not just the minors. The rays have a Star Wars night every season.

That's awesome. I bet those lend themselves to some fun stuff between innings!

It just won't be the same without all the wooden acting. George Lucas is the only man in the world that can make Samuel Jackson seem mediocre.

This party's over.... Come on, amazing line! :unsure:

I heard today that Ewan McGregor will return as Obi-Wan. I guess he's playing a ghost or they're having flashbacks or something. Endless speculation will follow.

I think this is the one actor from the prequels I don't mind seeing in the new one. He played his role as best as he could for the horrid script he got.

Star Wars VII approaches....slowly but surely, it approaches. Production begins in May. Release date - December 18, 2015 (give or take a week....)

Set 30 years after the events of Return of The Jedi, it will feature "familiar faces" as well as new characters.

Reports of Jar-Jar conquering the galaxy are vastly exaggerrated.... ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/star-wars-episode-vii-production_n_4987156.html

• Like 1

Reports of Jar-Jar conquering the galaxy are vastly exaggerrated.... ;)

Would it be wrong if I said I'd love to see that happen? They wrecked the franchise with the prequels. Making a satirical spinoff would be hilarious.

• Like 2