Roll the Bones Appreciation Thread.......

TheWinslowOfWillowdale

This album really does have some seriously weak and problematic songs. Face Up, The Big Wheel, Hersey, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life - seriously, what on EARTH were they thining? They descended deep into pop banality with those tracks. And don't even get me started on the RTB rap (insert vomit smiley here).

Still, it's got Dreamline, so it's not a complete wash...

I find the weird voice in Double Agent (on the edge of sleep....) equally if not more cringe worthy than the roll the bones rap

it never bothered me. it's odd, yes, but it's kind of cool sounding. the roll the bones rap is, well... rap. :unsure:

RG - let me give you a recommendation. If you hate the rap part of RTB dont ever let your kids hear it. My kids love Rush, but they think that part is awesome (4 and 2 year old). I think other posters have mentioned their little kids love RTB rap as well. I have actually noticed in general my kids like the old stuff, fly by night and caress of steel more than anything

• Like 1

This album really does have some seriously weak and problematic songs. Face Up, The Big Wheel, Hersey, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life - seriously, what on EARTH were they thining? They descended deep into pop banality with those tracks. And don't even get me started on the RTB rap (insert vomit smiley here).

I find the weird voice in Double Agent (on the edge of sleep....) equally if not more cringe worthy than the roll the bones rap

it never bothered me. it's odd, yes, but it's kind of cool sounding. the roll the bones rap is, well... rap. :unsure:

RG - let me give you a recommendation. If you hate the rap part of RTB dont ever let your kids hear it. My kids love Rush, but they think that part is awesome (4 and 2 year old). I think other posters have mentioned their little kids love RTB rap as well. I have actually noticed in general my kids like the old stuff, fly by night and caress of steel more than anything

Demonstrating beyond all doubt that 2-year olds are smarter than RG :D

Demonstrating beyond all doubt that 2-year olds are smarter than RG :D

:LOL: Led!

And TX, no danger of that! Why would I play RTB for my kids? Well, Dreamline, yes, but I'd only play worthwhile Rush albums for them. :P

Edited by rushgoober

I love how God will give you a message at a much faster pace as you age. I was trying not to be to mean about Heresy because I secretly have hated that song. Then I stumbled across the fact that I had not realized Neil's website had been updated lately. It was, but the home page didn't reflect it. In the June entry Neil mentions Heresy more than once. I have the vinyl on right now. It will never be my favorite Rush song, but I have a new appreciation after reading this:

Welcome to the official website of Neil Peart

I share your new appreciation for Heresy (and I especially have a new appreciation for Red Sector A from GUP) after reading your link. Thank you. I had not read Neil's latest update. A very enjoyable essay.

Roll the Bones has highlights that stand the test of time. Ghost of a Chance is a wonderful example of just how precise Rush can be in the studio. That song was tightly executed. Beautifully arranged.

I've always ranked this album a bit higher than most. "Dreamline" is fantastic, and I think "Where's My Thing" is one of their best instrumentals. It's an easy album to sing along with, and "The Big Wheel" is one I always crank in the car and belt out (with the windows rolled up lol). I always forget how much I like "Ghost of a Chance" until I hear it. I agree with the post about the general upbeat feel of the album.

The length of this album was pretty much the exact length of my college classes in '91, and when the album came out -- and I was listening to it all the time, since it was brand new -- I can remember during more than one boring college class (in some bogus, mandatory subject) "listening" to the entire album in my head to pass the time until the class was over.

This is truly a great album. After sliding further and further into the saturation of keyboards, the band tried to extricate themselves with Presto and only half-succeeded. RTB made Rush relevant for the first time in years. Rush was played on the radio, people openly talked about going to their concerts, and the fans came back after almost a decade of declining popularity and relevance. The great songs on the album are truly great, working as palatable pop, middle-brow philosophy, and musical ingenuity. The other songs are generally still good, even though they are not among the band's best.

I love this album.

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

why am in not surprised that you love this album.

rush has made 4 mediocre or bad albums: presto, rtb, t4e and vt. why do i fear you love all of them? :scared: :eh:

Good to see that Mr. My-Opinions-are-Facts Rushgoober has found this thread.

I'm only too happy to oblige. :P

Goober, you are really starting to worry me! How can you say that Roll the Bones is a Mediocre or Bad album when it holds songs like:

Dreamline, Bravado, Roll the Bones, Where's My Thing? and Ghost of a Chance.

:facepalm:

Even Presto doesn't measure up to that analogy with songs like:

Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, Presto, The Pass and Available Light.

Test For Echo holds T4E, Driven, Half The World, Time and Motion, Resist and Limbo

I'm not going to mention all the fine tunes on Vapor Trails cause that's a lost case in your book.

Goober, any album that holds close to half of its songs in good or fair standing is not mediocre.

:finbar: the only RUSH album that you may place a mediocre lable to it is Caress of Steel and that may change in time considering it holds Songs like Bastile Day, No-One at the Bridge/ Didacts and Narpits and The Necromancer!

:haz: :rush: :haz:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

This is truly a great album. After sliding further and further into the saturation of keyboards, the band tried to extricate themselves with Presto and only half-succeeded. RTB made Rush relevant for the first time in years. Rush was played on the radio, people openly talked about going to their concerts, and the fans came back after almost a decade of declining popularity and relevance. The great songs on the album are truly great, working as palatable pop, middle-brow philosophy, and musical ingenuity. The other songs are generally still good, even though they are not among the band's best.

I love this album.

rush has made 4 mediocre or bad albums: presto, rtb, t4e and vt. why do i fear you love all of them? :scared: :eh:

Goober, you are really starting to worry me! How can you say that Roll the Bones is a Mediocre or Bad album when it holds songs like:

In your defense, you did mention all the songs that have SOME merit. All the songs you didn't mention are complete garbage.

Dreamline is admittedly excellent. A top notch amazing Rush song.

Bravado is OK. I used to like it a little more than that, but it just never really grabbed me like it grabs a lot of people. I feel the same way about Available Light. Just kind of meh for me, decent, nothing earth shattering.

Roll the Bones - absolutely destroyed by the horrendous rap.

Where's My Thing - well, the best thing I can say about it is there are no lyrics to botch the song up. Other than that, it's decent. It's completely blown away by 2112 Overture, La Villa, YYZ and the three instrumentals from S&A, however. Nice, but nothing special that I'd go out of my way to hear.

Ghost of a Chance - a very pretty sounding song and very melodic, I just disagree with it philosophically to such a large degree that it's hard for me to really enjoy it or want to sing along with it.

Really, RTB is all about Dreamline for me. There are other OK songs, a few truly bad ones. Not a great Rush album by any stretch...

• Like 1

It's half a good album. I like "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Where's My Thing?", "The Big Wheel" and "Ghost of a Chance". Everything else is subpar Rush. I also think "Roll the Bones" is a failed experiment, but I think the guys are really proud of it for some reason.
  • Like 1

I love this album.

In your defense, you did mention all the songs that have SOME merit. All the songs you didn't mention are complete garbage.

Bravado is OK. I used to like it a little more than that, but it just never really grabbed me like it grabs a lot of people. I feel the same way about Available Light. Just kind of meh for me, decent, nothing earth shattering.

Where's My Thing - well, the best thing I can say about it is there are no lyrics to botch the song up. Other than that, it's decent. It's completely blown away by 2112 Overture, La Villa, YYZ and the three instrumentals from S&A, however. Nice, but nothing special that I'd go out of my way to hear.

Ghost of a Chance - a very pretty sounding song and very melodic, I just disagree with it philosophically to such a large degree that it's hard for me to really enjoy it or want to sing along with it.

Really, RTB is all about Dreamline for me. There are other OK songs, a few truly bad ones. Not a great Rush album by any stretch...

I agree its not a great Rush Album, but its not mediocre either. It just a good album and I'll leave it at that.

:codger:

I love this album.

I agree its not a great Rush Album, but its not mediocre either. It just a good album and I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't call it mediocre either. Presto is mediocre. RTB is generally just a pretty bad album.

• Like 1

I love this album.

I wouldn't call it mediocre either. Presto is mediocre. RTB is generally just a pretty bad album.

I love this album.

I feel like this is the proper response to 95% of all of RushGoober's posts.

• Like 1

I love this album.

He is getting worse with age!

I love this album.

And the other 5% :moon:

I love this album.

Just telling it like it is. :yes: