What if...the end arrives sooner than later

Motorshooter

On a side note- WHY must all my favourite bands/musicians be older or dead? Not cool.

I know right?

Reminds me of an arguement I once had with someone. This person was into newer music, and his opinion was that live albums were a waste of time and money. Afterall, if you want to hear your favorite band live, just go see them, duh!

Oh, the rage...

I hope it isn't i haven't gone to a single concert, because of money issues but im trying to save up for vip for all the closest venues

Dude, just get whatever you can get, and go to as many shows as you can reach.

It’s August 4th, 2013. You just enjoyed three hours of rush and your ears are ringing from the encore. Geddy steps up to the mike…….

“Thank you all for coming out tonight, it’s been our pleasure playing our favorite songs for you through the years, but all good things must come to an end. This is our last show.”

Reading this actually just gave me a cold shiver of dread. As if some icy hand from the beyond touched my chest. It was not pleasant.

Yes, there will certainly be a day when Rush no longer tours. I don't think, thought, that it will be announced as such, and especially as a "oh, by the way, this is the show. Bye" kind of thing. I think Rush will kind of not announce an actual retirement, but will kind of keep the flames of hope alive. But they will end, whether announced or not, on the top of their game. They will not start to go downhill in their playing and then call it quits. And they will certainly not announce a retirement only to come back a few times, a la Cher or whatever. I don't think they would manipulate their fans like that.

I don't ever see them announcing anything of a farewell tour....

i think they will do what they have done their whole career.....they will plan a tour, play the shows, and when its over, take some time off and then talk to one another and see if they want to get back to writing or doing anything....

at some point in the future, they will just cease to write new material or plan a new tour and at that point they won't be necessarily retired but won't be working on anything either...

i actually think neil's second chance at fatherhood has to be a huge factor as well as his ability to play the way he does for so many hours a night...

in saratoga, it was really humid and he was sweating so much, i kept thinking, boy, i hope this guy doesn't pass out right up there on the kit....the guy is amazing for stamina.....i am 15 years younger than neil and just enjoying the show in the audience and i am wiped out from the show and i am not twirling sticks all night....

On a side note- WHY must all my favourite bands/musicians be older or dead? Not cool.

That's because the best music (for me) came out in the late 60s and early 70s, so naturally the ones making that music are either old or dead.

• Like 1

That's because the best music (for me) came out in the late 60s and early 70s, so naturally the ones making that music are either old or dead.

Yep. I knew I was getting older a few years back when the rock stars of my generation (60s and 70s) stopped dying of drug overdoses and drowning in their own puke and started dying of "natural causes" e.g. cancer, heart problems.

I have a hard time imagining them doing a big "This is it" tour. Somehow it doesn't fit Geddy's laid back attitude. However, Rush is also a big machinery so who knows? Also, they are creative beings and you just can't switch that off. Some things in Rush may change, but I don't think they'll sit at home getting older. People with drive tend to burn the candle all the way down.

When they stop we will have an extensive back-catalog of the most awesome music, unrivalled by any other band. We will look back on all those great moments shared with the guys, friendships made and feel blessed that Rush has been there for 4 decades :-)

While generally agree, I think that Geddy is probably the most anal of the boys. But that has served the bad well :)

I have a feeling that if they were to quit touring it would be due to physical issues not from lack of desire to play. I can certainly see them working on music for as long as they feel they're putting out something worthwhile. Edited by EagleMoon

The point of the journey is not to arrive - anything can happen.

:D

Geddy turns 60 in a week but doesn't look a day over 50.

That's because he's always looked like he was 70 :laughing guy:

Because 99% of new music SUCKS, you know the answer of course :D

Thankfully Dream Theater still has at least 10 more years in them, and Primus who knows it's not like Les' voice can get any worse with age haha.

It’s August 4th, 2013. You just enjoyed three hours of rush and your ears are ringing from the encore. Geddy steps up to the mike…….

“Thank you all for coming out tonight, it’s been our pleasure playing our favorite songs for you through the years, but all good things must come to an end. This is our last show.”

I don't think it will ever happen that way. I think if they actually plan to retire they will announce it prior to a Tour for several reasons. One it will give a chance to whom ever haven't seen them to get off their @sses and two they will sell more tickets to every show if its billed as there Farewell Tour and probably record their last show. The only way an announcement would be abrupt would be (Heaven Forbid) in case of an accident to one of the members or their loved ones. But lest hope that never happens. :tsk:

Edited by losingit2k