You should have SEEN my nephew watching R30 last night. Yup. Got a new Rush fan.

hobo73

Jeff and I had our nephew stay the night yesterday. Last night we watched R30 DVD, blasted it full volume.

The boy is 10, and he was glued to the tv!

"OHMYGOD!!!! LOOK AT HIS DRUMSET!!!!!!!!!"

"I have NEVER heard a song this good. Ever."

"WHOA!!!! HE'S PLAYING BASS AAANNNNDDDD KEYBOARDS?!"

He was literally screaming out "WHOA!!!"s and asking about their music for the entire DVD- he loved the bonus video disc, too ;)

Neil's drumset absolutely blew him away. he said he'd never heard drums "being played like that", and now he wants to be a drummer =D

lol at one point he turned to me and said "THIS is the band you saw the other night?! WHAT????? I WANNA GO!!!!!!!!" hahaha YES!!!!

Xanadu- hoo man. The concert version AND the video of that song, he just sat with his eyes not even blinking, watching it.

lol the guys' hair in some of the music videos made him laugh- "....the singer looks like a girl in this one....." LOL- or the robes, "Jeff, you'd wear one of those."

By the end of the concert disc he was doing air guitar and drumming on anything he could find lol.

It's safe to say, my nephew's mind has been blown.

But the best part was when he said "Jeff, does Rush make songs that, like....are in sections? Songs that are made up of acts?"

0_o

Yeah, he's been listening to Jeff talk about Rush, apparently lol. Both our jaws dropped- did our ten year old nephew ask us if Rush has songs made up of acts??

Jeff was all too happy to answer him ;)

He asked to listen to Rush the rest of the night. =D

It just blew me away how into the band he was. He couldn't believe what he was seeing and hearing.

• Like 11

It's safe to say, my nephew's mind has been blown.

And as we all know, a mind blown is a mind shown... ;)

Right on, that's awesome.

• Like 2

That is so cool! I had a slightly similar experience with my nephew in May. My sister loves Rush but her husband doesn't and he has got the kids thinking they are dumb. So I took R30 over to her house on her birthday and we watched it late that evening. She and I went to that concert in 2004, my first Rush concert...she's been a fan since forever. Anyway we were watching the dvd and youngest son comes down and starts going, why are you watching these guys, they aren't good. I told him to sit down and be quiet. After a few minutes he says, that was a good song (think they played Between the wheels). Then he says when is he going to do the drum solo and I told him it was coming up soon. He sat there and kept saying that's sick during the solo. He sat and watched the rest of the concert and then looked at us and said, hey they are cool. My sister was grinning. We are taking the older son the end of the month and he's never been so it will be fun.

It's great to make a new fan :dweez:

• Like 1

My older son (he's nine) also loves to watch Neil solo. The first one he ever saw was on the R30 DVD, also- he was amazed by the criscrossing arm-over-arm thing that Neil does...my kids, they like music a lot, but they like what THEY like, if you know what I mean. So a week ago or so when I was watching The Time Machine DVD, and it was during one of the Moving Pictures tunes, when my son said, "Is that Freewill?", I just about fell over. I didn't care that he didn't have the song right; I was just stoked that a specific Rush song had sunk in with him. So I rolled the video back to Freewill and we watched it together. And then he asked me- "How old was he they when they recorded that song?" (He was referring to Geddy). I told him twenty-six. And then he asked how old he was now, and when I told him that Geddy was almost sixty, he said, "Wow, and he can still sing that great!"

It made me very happy. :)

• Like 4

This is such an awesome story!! :D

My cousin is 10 but he has no interest in music whatsoever. I should lend him a DVD or two. Who knows, he may end up liking them!

Wow! when I was 10 music was my life, period lol i cant imagine

maybe a DVD will get him hooked! you never know!

I shudder to think back to when I was 10. My world of music consisted of K-Tel albums, which held about 20 or so edited versions of the latest pop groups.....BLECH!! Even worse, the idea of actually going out of the house and seeing a band in concert was non-existant..... BLECH BLECH!!!

I was a bit older, but I remember discovering Rush at the age of 16, and being blown away. I just remember thinking they were so cool, and I couldn't understand why everyone in my high school was listening to N'Stink and Britney Spears.

I tried my best to convert all of my friends, but a lot of them thought Rush was weird and couldn't understand them.

It's good to see a new generation having Rush tunes passed down. I became a fan in between Test For Echo and Vapor Trails, so hopefully there will be another story in ten years, along the same lines. ;)

I shudder to think back to when I was 10. My world of music consisted of K-Tel albums, which held about 20 or so edited versions of the latest pop groups.....BLECH!! Even worse, the idea of actually going out of the house and seeing a band in concert was non-existant..... BLECH BLECH!!!

I had the same mentality as you, I think. Back when I was that age, my sister kinda corrupted me with boy bands, pop divas, and nu-metal bands. At one point, I kinda swore off music if that is all I'm going to hear and that lasted for about five years until I found some great integrity bands like Alter Bridge and, of course, Rush.

Damn, maybe if she should have shown me Rush earlier back then (which would have been almost impossible since Rush was going on their hiatus at that time), life could have changed earlier for the better.