The Counterparts appreciation thread

calirush

I'm more bothered when you pretend your views are widely held.

:unsure: Wait...isn't that what you were doing when you said that people who like Counterparts

just fell in love with the production and sound (both of which are great), and ignored all the flaws.

To you, it may be full of flaws, but that doesn't mean that that view is shared by everyone.

If you don't like Counterparts, fine. I'm not going to force you to listen to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But at the same time, others are allowed to like the album for whatever reasons they want.

No, that's not at all what i was doing. And only one person on this thread has regularly argued that people who like an album are objectively wrong: Rushgoober in talking about Vapor Trails.

Your irony detector is broken, Mr. Rush. That's why you take comments like "your opinion is wrong" seriously. That's why you didn't get the Trees being a parody of Objectivism comment. That's why you are spending an inordinate amount of time on a thread dedicated to Counterparts appreciation when you clearly don't appreciate it very much, but go on and on trying to frame your opinion as supported by a superior army.

Your penance, Brother Led, is to sing Between Sun & Moon in the shower one hundred times. Now go and sin no more.

• Like 2

:unsure: Wait...isn't that what you were doing when you said that people who like Counterparts

just fell in love with the production and sound (both of which are great), and ignored all the flaws.

To you, it may be full of flaws, but that doesn't mean that that view is shared by everyone.

If you don't like Counterparts, fine. I'm not going to force you to listen to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But at the same time, others are allowed to like the album for whatever reasons they want.

No, that's not at all what i was doing. And only one person on this thread has regularly argued that people who like an album are objectively wrong: Rushgoober in talking about Vapor Trails.

I don't agree with most of what you're saying about Counterparts but man, your last sentence is so DISGUSTINGLY true

I do admit that I've often enjoyed saying something to the effect of - All art is subjective except for Vapor Trails - that album is objectively bad.

Do you honestly think I REALLY believe that to be true? It's a fun, controversial thing to say. It elicits a reaction. I usually say it with a winky face. Sometimes I choose not to. It does show how profoundly I hate the album by taking it to the extreme, but obviously I'm smart enough to know that you can't earnestly say that an album is "objectively" bad because that's impossible with an opinion. Just the fact that anyone disagrees with me makes it subjective. I'll never understand why anyone can like the album, but that doesn't make my objective line any more true. I'm not THAT out of touch with reality. ;)

So when I've disproved your points, it's just me showing that I'm in the majority when I think of VT as being one of their weakest albums, as evidenced by the facts and figures I produced from the most comprehensive poll in existence. Only T4E rates SLIGHTLY lower. I disagree and think it should be dead last, but at least I share the consensus opinion that those are the two worst Rush albums. I also share the consensus opinion that Counterparts is considered a comeback album based on the results, which I know is inconvenient for you and causes you to dismiss the results entirely, which is of course theoretically the main thrust of this thread, he said using a lot of illustrative alliteration.

Your irony detector is broken, Mr. Rush. That's why you take comments like "your opinion is wrong" seriously.

Exactly! :yes:

And for the record, LedRush and I are actually friends. I just love to debate and don't really take it that seriously. If you're not having fun with all this crazy banter - you're doing it wrong. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

I do admit that I've often enjoyed saying something to the effect of - All art is subjective except for Vapor Trails - that album is objectively bad.

Do you honestly think I REALLY believe that to be true\? It's a fun, controversial thing to say. It elicits a reaction. I usually say it with a winky face. Sometimes I choose not to. It does show how profoundly I hate the album by taking it to the extreme, but obviously I'm smart enough to know that you can't earnestly say that an album is "objectively" bad because that's impossible with an opinion. Just the fact that anyone disagrees with me makes it subjective. When I said I'd rather listen to Yoko Ono then that album, I did mean that, however. Of course if given a choice my sincere choice would be neither. I'll never understand why anyone can like the album, but that doesn't make my objective line any more true. I'm not THAT out of touch with reality. ;)

So when I've endeavored to disprove your points, it's just me showing that I'm in the majority when I think of VT as being one of their weakest albums, as evidenced by the facts and figures I produced. Only T4E rates SLIGHTLY lower. I disagree and think it should be dead last, but at least I share the consensus opinion that those are the two worst Rush albums. I also share the consensus opinion that Counterparts is considered a comeback album based on the results, which is of course theoretically the main thrust of this thread, he said using a lot of illustrative alliteration.

Your slavish devotion to a tiny group of statistically biased voters on a remote corner of a niche website is hilarious.

After 1998-2000 it becomes much more difficult to say how well an album is received by the masses using statistically relevant data and reliable sources (of which you use neither). However, it wouldn't surprise me if VT is considered among Rush's worst albums by most critics, hardcore fans and casual fans. I like it but don't think it's among their best work. But your extreme position on it (worse than Ono) is very telling about your musical tastes.

Your irony detector is broken, Mr. Rush. That's why you take comments like "your opinion is wrong" seriously. That's why you didn't get the Trees being a parody of Objectivism comment. That's why you are spending an inordinate amount of time on a thread dedicated to Counterparts appreciation when you clearly don't appreciate it very much, but go on and on trying to frame your opinion as supported by a superior army.

Your penance, Brother Led, is to sing Between Sun & Moon in the shower one hundred times. Now go and sin no more.

I stayed very low key in this thread until someone asked for those people who don't like the album what they consider to be the band's "return to form". Even though my answer included Counterparts in it, some individuals decided to distort data and attack my position with disingenuous arguments.

And unlike some on this thread, I can find something to appreciate on each album. I will sing that song in the shower today. But only once :D

Do you honestly think I REALLY believe that to be true? It's a fun, controversial thing to say. It elicits a reaction. I usually say it with a winky face. Sometimes I choose not to. It does show how profoundly I hate the album by taking it to the extreme, but obviously I'm smart enough to know that you can't earnestly say that an album is "objectively" bad because that's impossible with an opinion. Just the fact that anyone disagrees with me makes it subjective. I'll never understand why anyone can like the album, but that doesn't make my objective line any more true. I'm not THAT out of touch with reality. ;)

So when I've disproved your points, it's just me showing that I'm in the majority when I think of VT as being one of their weakest albums, as evidenced by the facts and figures I produced from the most comprehensive poll in existence. Only T4E rates SLIGHTLY lower. I disagree and think it should be dead last, but at least I share the consensus opinion that those are the two worst Rush albums. I also share the consensus opinion that Counterparts is considered a comeback album based on the results, which I know is inconvenient for you and causes you to dismiss the results entirely, which is of course theoretically the main thrust of this thread, he said using a lot of illustrative alliteration.

Your irony detector is broken, Mr. Rush. That's why you take comments like "your opinion is wrong" seriously.

Exactly! :yes:

And for the record, LedRush and I are actually friends. I just love to debate and don't really take it that seriously. If you're not having fun with all this crazy banter - you're doing it wrong. ;)

I've always just assumed that the difficulties of child rearing have muddled Goober's brain on this. Other than that, he's a cool cat.

Do you honestly think I REALLY believe that to be true\? It's a fun, controversial thing to say. It elicits a reaction. I usually say it with a winky face. Sometimes I choose not to. It does show how profoundly I hate the album by taking it to the extreme, but obviously I'm smart enough to know that you can't earnestly say that an album is "objectively" bad because that's impossible with an opinion. Just the fact that anyone disagrees with me makes it subjective. When I said I'd rather listen to Yoko Ono then that album, I did mean that, however. Of course if given a choice my sincere choice would be neither. I'll never understand why anyone can like the album, but that doesn't make my objective line any more true. I'm not THAT out of touch with reality. ;)

So when I've endeavored to disprove your points, it's just me showing that I'm in the majority when I think of VT as being one of their weakest albums, as evidenced by the facts and figures I produced. Only T4E rates SLIGHTLY lower. I disagree and think it should be dead last, but at least I share the consensus opinion that those are the two worst Rush albums. I also share the consensus opinion that Counterparts is considered a comeback album based on the results, which is of course theoretically the main thrust of this thread, he said using a lot of illustrative alliteration.

Your slavish devotion to a tiny group of statistically biased voters on a remote corner of a niche website is hilarious.

Your ignorance of such massive poll results is even more hilarious. Remote corner. Niche website. Self-selected voters. Statistically biased. That's comedy gold right there. Why not just say it how it is - "I don't like the results of the poll so I'm going to try and discredit it."

Your ignorance of such massive poll results is even more hilarious. Remote corner. Niche website. Self-selected voters. Statistically biased. That's comedy gold right there. Why not just say it how it is - "I don't like the results of the poll so I'm going to try and discredit it."

That's funny stuff right there.

... you are spending an inordinate amount of time on a thread dedicated to Counterparts appreciation when you clearly don't appreciate it very much, but go on and on trying to frame your opinion as supported by a superior army.

I stayed very low key in this thread until someone asked for those people who don't like the album what they consider to be the band's "return to form". Even though my answer included Counterparts in it, some individuals decided to distort data and attack my position with disingenuous arguments.

And unlike some on this thread, I can find something to appreciate on each album. I will sing that song in the shower today. But only once :D

I getcha, and my bad for not clarifying what I meant by "return to form" any better than using quotation marks. My take on that is in line with your pal/nemesis Goob's - that is, a return to making a solid album.

I understand, of course, that needling begets needling, and that you respond when you feel needled. Nevertheless, I probably would have appreciated your initial response to my query more if it had been yours alone not framed in the "I think most fans..." which sounds to me like an attempt at anticipating battle rather than an honest personal assessment.

But since I didn't make clear what I meant by "return to form" I relent.

Back to you and your best buddy, the Rushgomer: My responses to the RUSH oeuvre are remarkably in line with his, but I don't necessarily always agree with his line of attack. But that's just insofar as it is a reaction to yours (which is a reaction to his (which is a reaction to....))

What I am saying, I guess, is that while not entirely un-amusing, it might sometimes lead one to say, "Too much scrolling" and wonder if it might not not be inappropriate to give you two a collective (oh noes, somebody call The Professor!) time out in an intimate corner.

With that in mind:

LedRush & rushgoober: Your penance is to hold hands & snuggle whilst singing a duet of The Speed of Love.

That's funny stuff right there.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0h9wpbdU21rqfhi2o1_500.gif

• Like 1

What's Scary Is That A New Thread With Just LED And Goober Will Probably Have More Posts Than The Rest Of The Forums.
  • Like 1

Eesh. I don't need other people's voting voices to tell me if my opinion is leaning up or down. (Smiling over the little 'Faithless' reference there...) Polls and suchlike things are cool, and are interesting, but ultimately, I don't really care. I don't care if I like Vapor Trails and the majority of people seem to like it 0.5 points less than Signals, or whatever. My own appreciation of each album, and I appreciate each in their own way, is what matters to me. It's a bit selfish, but I don't really care what the masses say. If I like something, I like it, and benefit from enjoying it. And that's good enough for me.

Eesh. I don't need other people's voting voices to tell me if my opinion is leaning up or down. (Smiling over the little 'Faithless' reference there...) Polls and suchlike things are cool, and are interesting, but ultimately, I don't really care. I don't care if I like Vapor Trails and the majority of people seem to like it 0.5 points less than Signals, or whatever. My own appreciation of each album, and I appreciate each in their own way, is what matters to me. It's a bit selfish, but I don't really care what the masses say. If I like something, I like it, and benefit from enjoying it. And that's good enough for me.

And that's the way it should be. If I love an album and everyone hates it, I still love it. And if I hate an album and everyone loves it, I still hate it. I was more using it to illustrate a point about what the consensus opinion is.

That said, I find websites like rateyourmusic, progarchives, etc. to be EXTREMELY informative. If I'm into a genre and want to explore more bands and albums from that genre, I'd rather start with the ones that get the best reviews. Obviously I won't agree all the time, but I'm much more likely to get into an album that rates a 4.5 out of 5 than I am by one that generally rates a 2.5 out of 5. Sure, if I have time to check out the 2.5 albums I will, but I'd rather start with what's generally considered great. I might as well use other people's experiences to my advantage.

• Like 1

And that's the way it should be. If I love an album and everyone hates it, I still love it. And if I hate an album and everyone loves it, I still hate it. I was more using it to illustrate a point about what the consensus opinion is.

That said, I find websites like rateyourmusic, progarchives, etc. to be EXTREMELY informative. If I'm into a genre and want to explore more bands and albums from that genre, I'd rather start with the ones that get the best reviews. Obviously I won't agree all the time, but I'm much more likely to get into an album that rates a 4.5 out of 5 than I am by one that generally rates a 2.5 out of 5. Sure, if I have time to check out the 2.5 albums I will, but I'd rather start with what's generally considered great. I might as well use other people's experiences to my advantage.

You've probably already done this but how do those websites' scores compare against other bands' albums you already despise? As you said, the scores won't influence an album you already hate but I'm just curious how they compare.

I'll say this: I trust a movie score on rottentomatoes waaaaaay before any movie critic. If a film gets say, 35% approval or less on rottentomatoes then I PROBABLY won't watch it (in the cinemas at least). However, what a lone critic writes will have ABSOLUTELY no influence on whether I check it out or not.

You've probably already done this but how do those websites' scores compare against other bands' albums you already despise? As you said, the scores won't influence an album you already hate but I'm just curious how they compare.

I guess I would say I agree with the general consensus a LOT more than I disagree. In terms of albums I despise, honestly most albums I despise I don't pay much attention to. Rush is an exception for me in that they're my favorite band, so their albums I don't like I listened to many, many times because they're Rush and I wanted to give them more than a fair shot. For the most part if I really can't stand an album, it will rarely get past listen 2, much less listen 1. For example, I listened to Yes - Union once. That's all I needed... and the album isn't rated highly at all. If I saw that album had a 4 out of 5, I might give it another chance to see if I'm missing something everyone else is catching, but that's usually not the case.

The times I disagree with these sites are usually more subtle, like for example my favorite Yes album is Tales From Topographic Oceans. Most people don't have that as favorites, and it's somewhat of a controversial Yes album, so I always think it's highly underrated, but even still it's far from hated. Usually the albums I really think are bad are rated as such, and usually the albums I think are amazing are rated highly. There are exceptions, of course.

I can say that I've checked out literally hundreds of albums based on reviews from these kinds of sites, and I've discovered some awesome music based on other people's consensus opinions. At some point I had SO much psychedelic 60's music that I started checking out the lesser rated material, and generally it was lesser rated for a reason. Not always, but for the most part.

I'll say this: I trust a movie score on rottentomatoes waaaaaay before any movie critic. If a film gets say, 35% approval or less on rottentomatoes then I PROBABLY won't watch it (in the cinemas at least). However, what a lone critic writes will have ABSOLUTELY no influence on whether I check it out or not.

I completely agree. It's an extremely useful tool. If it's just one or two people or a handful are voting on something, that's one thing, but if you start getting dozens, or hundreds, or thousands of people voting, the results to me are really worth paying attention to. Some argue that people are just trying to skew the votes of these things, and while there may be a tiny percentage who vote with ulterior motives, they are in the minority AND every album or movie or whatever has an equal chance of having the vote slightly skewed, so it really becomes a negligible statistical anomaly. For the most part people vote sincerely.

My dad had all the Rush albums up to Presto so I had already heard 2112, Hemispheres, and Moving Pictures, but Counterparts was the first Rush CD I bought (found it at a yard sale). I was probably 13 and more into Guns n Roses, AC/DC, and Ozzy, so I loved Counterparts because it was heavier than the earlier stuff. I still think it's a great album and don't understand what some people hate about it.
  • Like 1

Haven't listen to it for a long time now but today it blew me away. I've listened to it in the car and it turned out to be a great trip. Good album for a nice morning drive.

That is the great thing about all Rush albums. With ones that I don't like as much, after I listen to them after not playing them for a while I always think to myself how awesome it was. They might not make it to my daily rotation, but they are great old friends to revist every now and again.
  • Like 2

Music is really relative to the listener. Not everyone will appreciate each album the same, and that's why individual tastes are...individual.

I love Vapor Trails, but I understand some people may not. I dislike Snakes & Arrows, but I know some people may love it.

Counterparts is in my top 5 favorite Rush albums, but to each their own.

• Like 1

The mysterious voice at 3:50 on Alien Shore sounds to me like the one that makes a similarly fleeting appearance at the 8:54 mark on The Camera Eye.

Anyone?