Vapor Trails

GeddyLeeFender

But you gotta admit, if you compare Rush unfavorably to an Ono vocal performance, you're just taking a piss.

Just that one album. My 2nd least favorite Rush album is T4E - I think it's very weak, it has no standout tracks, it has no songs I really want to listen to and some of the songs have bad lyrics, but I wouldn't say I hate it or anything. I'll put it maybe once very couple of years just for s&g. Still, T4E is a masterpiece next to VT.

No Stand out Songs? Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo, Half the World! What are these, Chop liver? :huh:

The best song by a slight margin is Driven, but even that one I never want to listen to. Yeah, no standout songs for me. Mediocre at best, mediocre songs with weak lyrics at worst.

Oh you've changed one to many diapers! The smell is getting to you! You need to starting smoking something!

:smoke: :P :smoke:

But you gotta admit, if you compare Rush unfavorably to an Ono vocal performance, you're just taking a piss.

Just that one album. My 2nd least favorite Rush album is T4E - I think it's very weak, it has no standout tracks, it has no songs I really want to listen to and some of the songs have bad lyrics, but I wouldn't say I hate it or anything. I'll put it maybe once very couple of years just for s&g. Still, T4E is a masterpiece next to VT.

No Stand out Songs? Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo, Half the World! What are these, Chop liver? :huh:

The best song by a slight margin is Driven, but even that one I never want to listen to. Yeah, no standout songs for me. Mediocre at best, mediocre songs with weak lyrics at worst.

Oh you've changed one to many diapers! The smell is getting to you! You need to starting smoking something!

Half the world hates

What half the world does every day

Half the world waits

While half gets on with it anyway

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

While the other half takes

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

While the other half does

Half the world talks

With half a mind on what they say

Half the world walks

With half a mind to run away

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Like a torn-up photograph

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

While half the world is wasting the day

Half the world shares

While half the world is stealing away

Every SINGLE line (but one) in that song uses the word half - that's 31 times. And the phrase "half the world" is used 22 times. Sorry man, but that just doesn't do it for me. It's repetitive as f*ck. On that other thread I quoted a few other T4E songs with particularly weak lyrics like Test For Echo, Dog Years, Virtuality & Totem Pole. Limbo is one of their weakest instrumentals. Carve Away the Stone is uninspiring, etc. It just ain't their best.

• Like 1

For Rush yes, it is "Chop Liver". I like the first thirty seconds of Test for Echo. The Color of Right sounds like a butchered Lock and Key. .

• Like 1

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

Every SINGLE line (but one) in that song uses the word half - that's 31 times. And the phrase "half the world" is used 22 times. Sorry man, but that just doesn't do it for me. It's repetitive as f*ck. On that other thread I quoted a few other T4E songs with particularly weak lyrics like Test For Echo, Dog Years, Virtuality & Totem Pole. Limbo is one of their weakest instrumentals. Carve Away the Stone is uninspiring, etc. It just ain't their best.

i think those are great lyrics, straight and to the point. Would you would have prefered he alternated phrases with Point Five of the planet or fifty percent of the Earth? Maybe a Four- Eighth of the Third rock from the Sun is more towards your taste? I think Half the world is just fine! Regadless, here's a full moon!

:moon:

For Rush yes, it is "Chop Liver". I like the first thirty seconds of Test for Echo. The Color of Right sounds like a butchered Lock and Key. .

I guess a great song like Driven does nothing for you either?

:facepalm:

looks like we're drifting towards an "I hate T4E" thread as well!

For the record (bad pun), I like Half the World, The Color of Right, Limbo, Totem, Resist, and Virtuality. Classics? nope. But I think if you put them on Counterparts and took off "The Speed of Love", "Everyday Glory", and "Nobody's Hero", you'd have a killer album.

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

I don't think any of those as chopped liver but some are far from great imho. Test for Echo is a pastrami sandwich: it has some tasty parts but I have to be in the mood for it. Limbo is a Caesar salad: light and easy to digest but frankly, I want MEAT! Half the World is a quarter section of a ham hammy sandwich that doesn't have anything else between the slices; it lacks. However, Driven is a meatball sub loaded with goods and dripping with mouth-watering sauce
  • Like 1

For the record (bad pun), I like Half the World, The Color of Right, Limbo, Totem, Resist, and Virtuality. Classics? nope. But I think if you put them on Counterparts and took off "The Speed of Love", "Everyday Glory", and "Nobody's Hero", you'd have a killer album.

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

You didn't even put the two best songs from T4E on your like list:

Driven and Time And Motion:)

I guess a great song like Driven does nothing for you either?

:facepalm:

A mixed song for me. For each section I like the next is meh. What kills it for me is the chorus, it's just awkward.

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

Yes, just get rid of TFE and leave CP alone, I like it the way it is.

Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

Yes, just get rid of TFE and leave CP alone, I like it the way it is.

Same here. CP is great and doesn't need anything done to it. And Nobody's Hero is a superior Rush song. :yes:

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

i think those are great lyrics, straight and to the point. Would you would have prefered he alternated phrases with Point Five of the planet or fifty percent of the Earth? Maybe a Four- Eighth of the Third rock from the Sun is more towards your taste? I think Half the world is just fine! Regadless, here's a full moon!

:moon:

It's not the phrase, it's the sheer number of times it's used. It's exhausting - I'm tired of the song before it's over.

• Like 1

One more vote "for". I like Rush's harder-edged stuff, and VT and S&A are my favorite releases since MP (even though I have always liked GUP, despite it not mentioning a single cave of ice or black hole). On the other hand, I think RTB and CP are the low points in Rush's catalogue. But, if that's what you like, good for you; I just think it's funny as hell how adamant rushgoober is about VT sucking, and at the same time talks about how great is Counterparts. Funny odd, but also entertaining. After the greatness of Counterparts is explained, I look forward to reading how sheep's bladders can be used to prevent earthquakes. Edited by Rutlefan

One more vote "for". I like Rush's harder-edged stuff, and VT and S&A are my favorite releases since MP (even though I have always liked GUP, despite it not mentioning a single cave of ice or black hole). On the other hand, I think RTB and CP are the low points in Rush's catalogue. But, if that's what you like, good for you; I just think it's funny as hell how adamant rushgoober is about VT sucking, and at the same time talks about how great is Counterparts. Funny odd, but also entertaining. After the greatness of Counterparts is explained, I look forward to reading how sheep's bladders can be used to prevent earthquakes.

You like Rush's harder-edged stuff but think CP is one of Rush's low points? :facepalm:

• Like 1

One more vote "for". I like Rush's harder-edged stuff, and VT and S&A are my favorite releases since MP (even though I have always liked GUP, despite it not mentioning a single cave of ice or black hole). On the other hand, I think RTB and CP are the low points in Rush's catalogue. But, if that's what you like, good for you; I just think it's funny as hell how adamant rushgoober is about VT sucking, and at the same time talks about how great is Counterparts. Funny odd, but also entertaining. After the greatness of Counterparts is explained, I look forward to reading how sheep's bladders can be used to prevent earthquakes.

You like Rush's harder-edged stuff but think CP is one of Rush's low points? :facepalm:

Yeah, did I miss something?

You like the harder edge stuff but you like SnA over CA? CA eats SnA for breakfast.

• Like 2

I just looked at the song list. Because there is some heavy bass and guitar, like Stick it Out for example, that isn't what I mean by hard-edged. CP to me sounds more like April Wine or Survivor, like a pop band trying to sound mean (though granted, Rush is still great whereas those other bands are to music what small pox was to health and vigor), whereas the sound of VT stands up to some pretty cool (somewhat) contemporary bands. If Geddy's voice was masked and I hadn't been told that I was listening to Rush, I would have thought that some fantastic new group had come out of nowhere. It took me a long time to appreciate it because when I first heard it I still had not forgiven Rush for Time Stand Still (esp the video), which had estranged me from them for years. But now that I've been able to appreciate that Rush can do what they want to do (that is, I can't expect them to make A Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures over and over), and I listen to VT based on its own merits without comparing it to the stuff that had once defined Rush for me, I think it kicks a**. It actually sounds "cool" (most Rush, whatever else you might say about it, doesn't sound "cool"). I couldn't care less if it lacks a guitar solo. The Clash and most other punk/post punk/new wave bands, including my favorite '70's/early '80's post-punk bands -- Wire and Swell Maps -- never used guitar solos, and I think that's a good thing. In general, I couldn't care less about solos of any kind; generally the less of that the better for me. So, that doesn't bother me about VT, even though Alex is one of the few guitarists whose solos I do enjoy, if/when he plays them. And on that note, Alex, along with Johnny Marr and Radiohead's three-headed monster are my favorite producers of guitar sounds. Alex is the only one who does blazing guitar solos, but even those seem to blend in with, and compliment, the music (they're not "look at me" solos). The guitar work in La Villa and the solos in Different Strings, Red Barchetta, and Limelight are just surreal to me. Alex seems like a regular not-too-complicated guy, but he channels sounds like very few ever have. Amazing. Anyway, point being, I think he's amazing on VT, without any (so I read, I haven't noted it myself) guitar solos. That rocks. Now Rush is as cool as The Clash! Take that, high school! ;) Went off on a tangent, but just sayin' that VT rocks in a totally different (and better, for me) way than CP. By a long long shot. If I understand him correctly, I think rushgoober will totally agree.

You like the harder edge stuff but you like SnA over CA? CA eats SnA for breakfast.

Yup, CA is definitely harder than S&A or VT, and I like CA, but being hard isn't the only reason I like an album, even when it's by Rush, who generally sounds better to me when they're playing like they mean it. My very favorite Rush is the second side of Hemispheres, and Xanadu and Red Barchetta, all of which are, though sometimes loud, pretty melodic. I like VT/S&A/CA for being hard because I thought there was so much light fluff among the albums that came before them (though I'm warming up to T4E).

Edited by Rutlefan

Yup, CA is definitely harder than S&A or VT, and I like CA, but being hard isn't the only reason I like an album, even when it's by Rush, who generally sounds better to me when they're playing like they mean it. My very favorite Rush is the second side of Hemispheres, and Xanadu and Red Barchetta, all of which is, though sometimes loud, pretty melodic. I like VT/S&A/CA for being hard because I thought there was so much light fluff among the albums that came before them (though I'm warming up to T4E).

I would put CA and VT way ahead of SnA. SnA has its moments but the last thing I wanted from Rush was Irish shanty sounding folk music on some of the tunes. About half of it is really good I would say. CA on the other hand I would classify as a semi return to form. Hardly a weak link throughout the whole record. Probably a top 5 or 6 record for me. And VT might be the most under-rated record in the catalog. With a better production more people would probably realize it.

yes, reality. ;)

I just looked at the song list. Because there is some heavy bass and guitar, like Stick it Out for example, that isn't what I mean by hard-edged. CP to me sounds more like April Wine or Survivor, like a pop band trying to sound mean (though granted, Rush is still great whereas those other bands are to music what small pox was to health and vigor), whereas the sound of VT stands up to some pretty cool (somewhat) contemporary bands. If Geddy's voice was masked and I hadn't been told that I was listening to Rush, I would have thought that some fantastic new group had come out of nowhere. It took me a long time to appreciate it because when I first heard it I still had not forgiven Rush for Time Stand Still (esp the video), which had estranged me from them for years. But now that I've been able to appreciate that Rush can do what they want to do (that is, I can't expect them to make A Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures over and over), and I listen to VT based on its own merits without comparing it to the stuff that had once defined Rush for me, I think it kicks a**. It actually sounds "cool" (most Rush, whatever else you might say about it, doesn't sound "cool"). I couldn't care less if it lacks a guitar solo. The Clash and most other punk/post punk/new wave bands, including my favorite '70's/early '80's post-punk bands -- Wire and Swell Maps -- never used guitar solos, and I think that's a good thing. In general, I couldn't care less about solos of any kind; generally the less of that the better for me. So, that doesn't bother me about VT, even though Alex is one of the few guitarists whose solos I do enjoy, if/when he plays them. And on that note, Alex, along with Johnny Marr and Radiohead's three-headed monster are my favorite producers of guitar sounds. Alex is the only one who does blazing guitar solos, but even those seem to blend in with, and compliment, the music (they're not "look at me" solos). The guitar work in La Villa and the solos in Different Strings, Red Barchetta, and Limelight are just surreal to me. Alex seems like a regular not-too-complicated guy, but he channels sounds like very few ever have. Amazing. Anyway, point being, I think he's amazing on VT, without any (so I read, I haven't noted it myself) guitar solos. That rocks. Now Rush is as cool as The Clash! Take that, high school! ;) Went off on a tangent, but just sayin' that VT rocks in a totally different (and better, for me) way than CP. By a long long shot. If I understand him correctly, I think rushgoober will totally agree.

http://i.imgur.com/OQRc1.jpg

Rushgoober trying to force his agenda on people just like a good illuminati soldier with his illuminati eye watching everything in his avatar... :dweez:

Rushgoober trying to force his agenda on people just like a good illuminati soldier with his illuminati eye watching everything in his avatar... :dweez:

http://www.physynergy.com/Portals/100606/images/gas%20and%20fire.jpg

• Like 1

If you think rushgoober will agree with anything positive said about VT then you haven't read any of his posts about that album. Rushgoober enjoys VT like I enjoy a crow shitting on my head
  • Like 1