Best Album for Each of the Guys

Retrospective

Good topic!

Neil Peart- Drums - Clockwork Angels

It certainly doesn't come close to being technically as difficult as the 70's and 80's, but really who gives a shit about that? I saw an interview with neil where he said for the first time he spontaneously played to the music rather than what he usually does, which is careful, concise, thought out, over planned drumming. he just let loose and went with feel, and I think it's my favorite because of that

Honorable mention to A Farewell to Kings, which has the coolest recording of drums. Something about the way his drums sound on AFTK is so cool. It sounds unlike anything else I've heard

Neil Peart-Lyrics-Counterparts

The theme is relationships and I love the straightforward nature of the album. Neil's 2nd most personal, least technical, and most straightforward writing

Geddy Lee-Vocals-Hemispheres

Geddy said they recorded this album a key higher than they meant and as a result recording the vocals almost killed him. Yet he came up with his most killer sound ever IMO. Just perfect for the album

Geddy Lee-Base-Moving Pictures

Some of the best Bass work ever by anyone. I think this is the album bass players listen to to give them their aspirations

Alex Lifeson-This is tough. There are so many. I can't decide between Permanent Waves and Counterparts. I'd say Permanent Waves by a hair. It's epic, and he's so freaking underrated overall and this album from front to back just shows off his incredible diversity. he does so much. Insane solos (Freewill, Natural Science, the end of Different Strings), sick riffs (Spirit, Natural Science), and moving soulful rhythm guitar (Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous). This is Al's album all the way and probably why it's my favorite Rush album

Alex lead - ATWAS

Alex rhythm - GuP

Neil - ATWAS - I like Neil the aggressor more than Neil the composer

Bass - MP

Vocals - PeW

Alex- A toss up between Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres. I'd lean towards Hemispheres because it's more original and less of the Jimmy Page influence.

Geddy- Possibly Moving Pictures.

Neil- You could probably pick any tour really.

Vocals- Clockwork Angels

Lyrics- Counterparts or Clockwork Angels

• Like 1

For Keyboards, Probably Power Windows. Its also one of Geddy's favorite Rush albums!

For Alex , 2112, or maybe even Counterparts because its very guitar driven.

For vocals Its too hard to pick one. Ill pick one from each era. A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, Counterparts and then i would half to say Clockwork Angels.

For Neil , Hes a god on pretty much every album.... The best album for Neil is almost all of them!

For Bass, Hemispheres, some killer Bass Riffs on that album!

Edited by Pars123

Not a musician but I knows whats I likes.

Alex -- Hemispheres (though Permanent Waves a very close second)

Geddy -- Moving Pictures for vocals. For bass, despite my preference for old Rush, maybe Clockwork Angels

Neil -- Moving Pictures for lyrics (again, Permanent Waves a close second), A Farewell to Kings for drums

For Alex, probably PW. The intircacies, maturities, and creativity of "Jacob's Ladder" and "Naural Science" alone are worth my vote. Especially because he was so young. He had none of the subtleties of, say, "Totem" or "Open Secrets", but he dazzles on this.

Neil - I don't really care. Each album is a different chapter in his musicianship. I mean, he rewrote drumming on MP; yet listen to "Freeze" on VT and revel in how intricate, controlled, and dominant his drumming is on that song. The same with "Caravan". He couldn't have done either of those tunes back in '81.

Geddy's playing in the late 80's and early 90's is as close to showing off as he ever really got. HYF, PoW, and even songs like "Where's My Thing?" or "Driven" are all bass-driven.

This took a lot of thought, but I believe I have concluded that for bass, drumming and vocals it's a tie between Hemispheres and Clockwork Angels, for singing it's between those two plus Snakes And Arrows, and for guitar it's a tie between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Lyrically I'm still not sure, because Neil's lyrics are hit and miss for me on all albums, each album including some turns of phrase that just shimmer with beauty or evocation, and some that just make me go :huh: and sometimes :facepalm: or :eyeroll: or once in a while, even :tsk: :P :no: :wacko: :LOLsign: :oops:

All Rush albums have their moments in all these areas :yes: Even the albums I don't really like!

Edited by GeddysMullet