My opinion on Clockwork Angels

starscreamsrevenge

Fed up with Alex's current approach to guitar playing (1k layers of guitars, strumming all along + "I can't be arsed to play more than 3 notes" solos) and production.

Have to agree with this.

Same

Fed up with Alex's current approach to guitar playing (1k layers of guitars, strumming all along + "I can't be arsed to play more than 3 notes" solos) and production.

Have to agree with this.

Same

But.. but.. there is minimal guitar layering on CA, and Alex solos more than 3 notes. Holy crap people, wake up! Stop referring to your VT/S&A complaint note cards when complaining about CA :LOL:

• Like 2

It's been almost a fulll year since I've listend to it. I still get that spine tingly-feeling when I get to the Garden's Solo!

Anyways the best thing I like about this album is that I keep finding new little things that I just love.

Also songs I didn't care for much have now become some of my favorites like: Halo Effect, 7 Cities of Gold, and Wish them Well.

For me this is a perfect Album. Every song is enjoyable to listen, never have to skip a track. And It's a complete story. Doesn't leave you hanging at the end like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or The Wall.

This album fits comforatbly in my top 5 favorite RUSH Albums.

This also includes: Hemispheres, Power Windows, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. I don't really have an order with them, cause at any given time they become my favorite albume :D

• Like 1

Have to agree with this.

Same

But.. but.. there is minimal guitar layering on CA, and Alex solos more than 3 notes. Holy crap people, wake up! Stop referring to your VT/S&A complaint note cards when complaining about CA :LOL:

You call that minimal? :o There's like 2-3 guitars in each song in almost every section.
  • Like 1

I think part of what's happening with the guitar is that it gets lost in the production due to so many layers. I kind of get that they're trying to make a more lush sound, where everything fits in as part of the whole. But I do miss the sweet simplicity of the heavy guitar-based songs, and where you could pick out each instrument without a struggle
  • Like 4

Have to agree with this.

Same

You call that minimal? :o There's like 2-3 guitars in each song in almost every section.

Well if you've come down from 1,000 to 2, then we're on the same page :cheers:

Here's what Alex said:

I think the approach was a lot simpler with Clockwork Angels. We really made an effort to write Snakes & Arrows acoustically and when it came to recording, I missed those acoustics. So, we blended them in and consequently there's a density to that record that in retrospect I would have preferred to have thinned out. When we started working on this record, right from the get-go the idea was to make it more three-piece in order to make it a clearer-sounding record. So, for the most part, I might have double-tracked guitars and only on a few songs did I layer them up. "BU2B" has 100 guitars overdubbed on it, just playing the same thing to make it super heavy, but generally it's pretty much double-tracked guitar left and right. It was really refreshing to approach it that way. That's the way we used to record: two tracks of guitar and no rhythm guitar in the solo sections. Consequently, it's made reproducing them live simpler in some ways and also more satisfying in the context of having just one guitar player.

• Like 2

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

I think the approach was a lot simpler with Clockwork Angels. We really made an effort to write Snakes & Arrows acoustically and when it came to recording, I missed those acoustics. So, we blended them in and consequently there's a density to that record that in retrospect I would have preferred to have thinned out. When we started working on this record, right from the get-go the idea was to make it more three-piece in order to make it a clearer-sounding record. So, for the most part, I might have double-tracked guitars and only on a few songs did I layer them up. "BU2B" has 100 guitars overdubbed on it, just playing the same thing to make it super heavy, but generally it's pretty much double-tracked guitar left and right. It was really refreshing to approach it that way. That's the way we used to record: two tracks of guitar and no rhythm guitar in the solo sections. Consequently, it's made reproducing them live simpler in some ways and also more satisfying in the context of having just one guitar player.

So... We've settled on the range of 2 to 100 :D
  • Like 2

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

So... We've settled on the range of 2 to 100 :D

:LOL: За твоё здоровье! :hail:

• Like 1

I think part of what's happening with the guitar is that it gets lost in the production due to so many layers. I kind of get that they're trying to make a more lush sound, where everything fits in as part of the whole. But I do miss the sweet simplicity of the heavy guitar-based songs, and where you could pick out each instrument without a struggle

I really see your point and it has its merits. One way of looking at Clockwork Angels is that it sounds like no other work the've done. There's purpose in the sound. They just didn't go in and say "Nick, please make this sound like shit". Every record they've put out is filled with some type of experimentation sound wise...it's who they are. The next effort will sound completely different—per usual.

In the guitar dept. I've got no complaints about the guitar work/sound. Who am I to question, or doubt, Alex Lifeson? Whatever is on that record is done with intent and the brush of an artist, and he paints in the corners. There are moments on the record of beautiful clarity though. In terms of complexity? Well, try replicating all the guitar stuff during a live performance.

This record is a brilliant example of how artist's blossom with time.

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

The guitars are much more dense and indistinguishable on CA than Snakes. I loathe Snakes as an album, but I could hear all the parts much better than CA. So either 2 to 100 layers was a failed sound experiment, or Nick really screwed it up.

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

The guitars are much more dense and indistinguishable on CA than Snakes. I loathe Snakes as an album, but I could hear all the parts much better than CA. So either 2 to 100 layers was a failed sound experiment, or Nick really screwed it up.

I like S&A and I think the production was much better than CA as well. Even with all the layering on S&A you could definitely hear all the instruments. I would put CA next to Vapor Trails as far as sound quality goes.

I really see your point and it has its merits. One way of looking at Clockwork Angels is that it sounds like no other work the've done. There's purpose in the sound. They just didn't go in and say "Nick, please make this sound like shit". Every record they've put out is filled with some type of experimentation sound wise...it's who they are. The next effort will sound completely different—per usual.

In the guitar dept. I've got no complaints about the guitar work/sound. Who am I to question, or doubt, Alex Lifeson? Whatever is on that record is done with intent and the brush of an artist, and he paints in the corners. There are moments on the record of beautiful clarity though. In terms of complexity? Well, try replicating all the guitar stuff during a live performance.

I see your point as well. But there is such a thing as good and bad sound quality regardless of the songs themselves. I just think that they keep trying to add something to their sound when they don't need to. Their strength and awesomness is in being a three-piece band, and they sound their best that way. I understand that they like to experiment and recording probably gets a little tedious now and then so they want to add something to change it up. But in my opinion all of that is like adding whipped cream to a pie. If you add too much whipped cream it gets to be too much fluff and not enough pie. :)

T

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

I like S&A and I think the production was much better than CA as well. Even with all the layering on S&A you could definitely hear all the instruments. I would put CA next to Vapor Trails as far as sound quality goes.

I agree with every sentence but the last. Turn down the bass and sub a click and treble up a click, and it's infinity times infinity better than VT.

Okay, not that much but CA is worse than S n A, but absolutely better than VT.

[Duffman]Ohh Yeaahh[/Duffman]

I see your point as well. But there is such a thing as good and bad sound quality regardless of the songs themselves. I just think that they keep trying to add something to their sound when they don't need to. Their strength and awesomness is in being a three-piece band, and they sound their best that way. I understand that they like to experiment and recording probably gets a little tedious now and then so they want to add something to change it up. But in my opinion all of that is like adding whipped cream to a pie. If you add too much whipped cream it gets to be too much fluff and not enough pie. :)

Something tells me even less whipped cream on the next one. Even more back to basics. :rush:

• Like 2

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

Something tells me even less whipped cream on the next one. Even more back to basics. :rush:

Yeah perhaps we'll finally get our 10+ minute Epic! :haz:

• Like 1

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

Sorry but CA is no where near VT. VT sound like a train wreck in Siberia while CA sounds like the bells of the Vatican! :scared:

• Like 1

Have to agree with this.

Same

I guess we have to count the notes in Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, and headlong flight now? :facepalm:

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

Sorry but CA is no where near VT. VT sound like a train wreck in Siberia while CA sounds like the bells of the Vatican! :scared:

I think its just as bad, but in different sonic areas. VT is much worse in some areas where CA is much worse than VT in some areas. In total, CA is a hair better than VT, but not much.

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

I think its just as bad, but in different sonic areas. VT is much worse in some areas where CA is much worse than VT in some areas. In total, CA is a hair better than VT, but not much.

:wtf:

There is no comparison. CA is sonically worlds better.

http://www.kylerutkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/crazypills.jpg

• Like 2

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1jzp8pjh51qj70uso1_500.gif

• Like 1

Have to agree with this.

Same

Here's what Alex said:

Agreed.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1jzp8pjh51qj70uso1_500.gif

:cheers:

http://media.tumblr.com/da0fbf3d11818034f86d41c19eec62de/tumblr_inline_mj9u2lsBIt1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1