Star Trek Into Darkness (SPOILERS)

It's a great movie - acting-wise, visual-special effects. Everything! You should see it in 3D! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

I can't tolerate 3D... something wonky with my eyes.

I'm considering going today actually... or maybe I'll wait till el cheapo Tuesday and get half off.

It's a great movie - acting-wise, visual-special effects. Everything! You should see it in 3D! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

I can't tolerate 3D... something wonky with my eyes.

I'm considering going today actually... or maybe I'll wait till el cheapo Tuesday and get half off.

It's done in 2D also, which I think is normal screen. You should be okay with that. I hope. :)

I really liked it I thought it was a considerable step up from the previous one. However the ending felt rushed and the whole reactor scene pissed me off. There's referencing lines made in previous Star Trek episodes and films and then there's just copying but adding nothing. I thought they made the Khan story line different enough from Space Seed and Wrath of Khan but then completely ripped off that movie in this one. I would have preferred it if they'd gone down a different route.

Overall, 7 or 8 out of 10. It's defiantly not as good as II or VI, which are in my opinion the two best but if this is where the franchise is heading then I think it's in safe hands.

My Trek movie ranking:

1. First Contact

2. The Wrath of Khan.

3. Star Trek '09

4. Into Darkness

5. Generations

6. The Undiscovered Country

7. Insurrection

8. The Voyage Home

9. The Final Frontier

10. The Search for Spock

11. The Motion Picture

12. Nemesis

Numbers 5-8 are all very close. Its a big drop off to number 9. First Contact leads by a mile, and might actually be my all-time favorite movie.

Just got back from seeing it. I just may go back tonight and see it AGAIN. IT ROCKED MY WORLD. :haz: :haz: :haz: There are very few things that could be improved in this magnificent film.

In previous threads that speculated about the upcoming film, I opposed the (rumored) plot and villain. I said that it was quite unnecessary, and that the producers didn't have to redo it. They had a multitude of stories to do. They didn't have to go there just to please a certain percentage of Trek fans who desired it. I still believe that, but I also respect the producers' freedom to do it. Anyways, I think the only thing I would have changed would be the ethnicity of You-Know-Who. The twists to the classic story were excellent, but I think the ethnicity of You-Know-Who should have stayed the same. Not worth arguing over, though.... :)

I give it 9 out of 10. Is the Blu-Ray available yet?? :D :D :D

However the ending felt rushed....

I agree. Thinking back, I remember a mild screech-to-a-halt sensation. Roller coasters do tend to end abruptly.... :doh: :D

My Trek movie ranking:

1. First Contact

2. The Wrath of Khan.

3. Star Trek '09

4. Into Darkness

5. Generations

6. The Undiscovered Country

7. Insurrection

8. The Voyage Home

9. The Final Frontier

10. The Search for Spock

11. The Motion Picture

12. Nemesis

Numbers 5-8 are all very close. Its a big drop off to number 9. First Contact leads by a mile, and might actually be my all-time favorite movie.

Wrath of Khan has to be first. it's the only one with any good lines in it, and also the only one where a non trekker can watch it and still enjoy

for me:

1 Wrath of Khan

2 Undiscovered Country

3 First Contact

4 Into Darkness

5 Generations

6 Reboot

7 The Search for Spock

8 The Motion Picture

9 The Voyage Home

10 The Final Frontier

11 Nemesis

12 Insurrection

11 & 12 could swap places easily. Insurrection wasn't as horrible as Nemesis but it was plain boring and it should have been the Dominion War movie.

Saw this last week at thought it was bloody brilliant! I was a Cumberbatch fan anyway but he's magnificent in this. He and Zac Quinto are such strong, clever actors. Can't wait to see it again!
  • Like 1

It's too bad that we will no longer get to see Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike. :( :( Greenwood really shined as Kirk's mentor and father figure. Now who will be keeping Kirk in line and kicking him in the rear when he needs it??

Saw this last week at thought it was bloody brilliant! I was a Cumberbatch fan anyway but he's magnificent in this. He and Zac Quinto are such strong, clever actors. Can't wait to see it again!

i agree - Benedict Cumberbatch and Zachary Quinto are magnificent! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Insurrection was a fine movie. Nothing fancy. But it was OK. It was basically just a big budget two part episode of TNG. Which is exactly what I want from the TNG crew: good episodic storytelling.

As for First Contract vs TWOK, I think First Contact would be much more accessible to a non-trekkie. I think it contains the best acting in any Star Trek movie, the special effects look great, the TNG crew is still spry and relevant, and that argument scene between Lily and Picard in the briefing room is one of the most impassioned and emotionally intense moments in Star Trek history. First Contact, in my eyes, is a masterpiece that I don't think Star Trek could ever top again. It is a nearly perfect movie, start to finish.

Edited by KenJennings

BULLET POINTS CONTAIN MASSIVE SPOILERS, PARAGRAPH HAS MINOR SPOILERS (only one plot twist mentioned, which you know about if you've seen the trailers)

• Hell yes, Klingons. Thank you for taking a stace on that Mr. Abrams.
  • No, it's not spelled Kronos, it's Qo'nos
  • I was against Khan as a villain, but he was perfectly done and should have been used more
  • I found it annoying that the "bad guy ship" was so blatantly labelled as such: HEY GUYS IT'S ALL BLACK ON THE INSIDE AND OUT AND HAS A REALLY AGRESSIVE NAME, IT'S THE BAD GUY SHIP, WE JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THE BAD GUYS ARE IN HERE, NO SHADES OF GREY, THESE GUYS ARE ALL EVIL
  • Loved the homage to STII at the end, even if Spock's lines were horrid "I don't know how to feel". I can see the argument that his human half took over for that and the ensuing fight scene, but I feel it was forced because the movie needed a touchy sad scene and a rage induced chase scene
  • I didn't understand: if all of Khan's shipmates are dead and McCoy couldn't use his cells to revive Kirk, why were they all left in stasis and put into storage at the end?

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It was fun to watch but it has its share of flaws. It's far from the top of what Trek has to offer, but not quite at the bottom either. I feel it was a wasted opportunity for excellent political commentary. Think about it: if the USS vengeance looked exactly like all the other starfleet vessels, and the admiral and his crew weren't distinguished from the others in any way (aside from rank), it would have been more along the lines of "starfleet isn't perfect" with the main antagonist acting as the unpredictable factor. Throw in the Klingons bordering on war and it would have been amazing, probably close to Star Trek 6 but at least it would have had a good plot. As it stands, this is just a mindless sci-fi action movie with a Star Trek wrapper with attention to detail/homages to the original series.

I didn't understand: if all of Khan's shipmates are dead and McCoy couldn't use his cells to revive Kirk, why were they all left in stasis and put into storage at the end?

none of his shipmates were dead, just frozen.

I didn't understand: if all of Khan's shipmates are dead and McCoy couldn't use his cells to revive Kirk, why were they all left in stasis and put into storage at the end?

So why couldn't McCoy use their blood? I didn't quite catch the line that explains why he needed Khan's blood.

So why couldn't McCoy use their blood? I didn't quite catch the line that explains why he needed Khan's blood.

Well, let's not forget that the good doctor wasn't immune from error. He did make Spock blind in The Original Series..... :doh: :LOL:

But seriously, we can say McCoy knew for a fact that Khan's blood could revive another life form, but he wasn't sure about the others. He couldn't take the chance of having Khan killed and then finding out that the other prisoners were incompatible.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It was fun to watch but it has its share of flaws. It's far from the top of what Trek has to offer, but not quite at the bottom either. I feel it was a wasted opportunity for excellent political commentary. Think about it: if the USS Vengeance looked exactly like all the other starfleet vessels, and the admiral and his crew weren't distinguished from the others in any way (aside from rank), it would have been more along the lines of "starfleet isn't perfect" with the main antagonist acting as the unpredictable factor. Throw in the Klingons bordering on war and it would have been amazing, probably close to Star Trek 6 but at least it would have had a good plot. As it stands, this is just a mindless sci-fi action movie with a Star Trek wrapper with attention to detail/homages to the original series.

I see what you mean, but IMO, the political element was well-covered in The Undiscovered Country. Starfleet officers conspired to prevent peace and continue the hostilities with the Klingons. They wanted to start (and win) a war, just like Admiral Marcus did.

In this new Starfleet timeline (and Admiral Marcus admitted this), the destruction of Vulcan and near-destruction of Earth motivated Star Fleet to expand their exploration of the quadrant as well as develop bigger and badder weapons (thanks to Section 31). The Romulan attack and early discovery of Khan and his crew altered the natural development of Starfleet. It developed rogue officers decades before what happened in the original timeline.

The dark-colored, predator-like USS Vengeance, to me, represents turning to the Dark Side. It's why the film was titled Into Darkness. Khan was born evil, Marcus turned evil, and Kirk and Spock almost turned evil.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It was fun to watch but it has its share of flaws. It's far from the top of what Trek has to offer, but not quite at the bottom either. I feel it was a wasted opportunity for excellent political commentary. Think about it: if the USS Vengeance looked exactly like all the other starfleet vessels, and the admiral and his crew weren't distinguished from the others in any way (aside from rank), it would have been more along the lines of "starfleet isn't perfect" with the main antagonist acting as the unpredictable factor. Throw in the Klingons bordering on war and it would have been amazing, probably close to Star Trek 6 but at least it would have had a good plot. As it stands, this is just a mindless sci-fi action movie with a Star Trek wrapper with attention to detail/homages to the original series.

I see what you mean, but IMO, the political element was well-covered in The Undiscovered Country. Starfleet officers conspired to prevent peace and continue the hostilities with the Klingons. They wanted to start (and win) a war, just like Admiral Marcus did.

In this new Starfleet timeline (and Admiral Marcus admitted this), the destruction of Vulcan and near-destruction of Earth motivated Star Fleet to expand their exploration of the quadrant as well as develop bigger and badder weapons (thanks to Section 31). The Romulan attack and early discovery of Khan and his crew altered the natural development of Starfleet. It developed rogue officers decades before what happened in the original timeline.

The dark-colored, predator-like USS Vengeance, to me, represents turning to the Dark Side. It's why the film was titled Into Darkness. Khan was born evil, Marcus turned evil, and Kirk and Spock almost turned evil.

As much as that explanation is plausible, my issue with that is there is a logical reason for wanting war ships in the federation. There was a 2 part episode on DS9 where changelings had supposedly invaded Earth but it turns out that it's just a power grab to get some militia on Earth. Same idea for motivation, just no black enterprise.

As for that story being covered in ST6, Khan was covered in ST2. If they're going to rehash a story, they may as well have a rehashing with substance.