Killing Joke

sweet band, wouldn't expect many here to enjoy them though

That's their loss.

yep, not many bands can compete with dokken, quiet riot, and the other 80s darlings here

Don't forget about Dream Theater and Van Halen! Edited by Enemy Within 77
  • Like 1

:bump:

Since I've been listening to some Killing Joke lately I was wondering if there was a thread here dedicated to them and, lo and behold, there is! But it hasn't gotten a lot of use. Such a shame for such an influential band.

The band has gone through changes in sound and in style. KJ's first four albums (1980-83) were classic post-punk. When Night Time was released in 1985 it was a little more "alternative" (that word had a different meaning in the 80s than it does now) and got some airplay over here in the US, and that's how I got turned on to them. During the latter half of the 80s KJ released some melodic keyboard-heavy albums, then moved on to metal-influenced industrial (joining contemporaries Skinny Puppy and Ministry in that realm) in the 90s, and now the band seems to have settled on their own style of guitar-based rock. I've only heard two of the five albums they've put out this century and while some songs are just a little too simplistic and repetitive for me, I find others to be great.

Killing Joke may not be a band you've heard of before, but they've been extremely influential even outside their own genre(s), and have been covered by bands like Metallica, Fear Factory, Foo Fighters, and more.

If you've only heard one Killing Joke song it was probably "Eighties" from Night Time:

Here's "The Wait" from their first album:

And my favourite song they'e put out in the past 30 years, "The Raven King", a tribute to their deceased bass player Paul Raven:

Give them a try, maybe you'll like them!

I got to see them back in the early 90s. I want to say they played with the Revolting Cocks and I cannot recall the third band right now, but I do have the ticket in a box somewhere, with the hundreds of others.

Yes, I am a stub collecting loser

Eighties and Democracy still make the rotation on my Ipod over and over again.

• Like 1