Steven Wilson Tour Thread

geddyforlife

Probably. It also could've been a part of the actual song itself. There's an good reason why Steven didn't included this in the final album. I remembered seeing The Birthday Party as one of the stories included in the deluxe edition but was puzzled by the fact that it didn't get its own song (but Clock Song made it onto the demo CD without having a story itself!). I'm glad that it actually does exist and that he released it. Those 3 minutes fly by quicker each listen.

The new songs played were actually the same song, which Wilson described as a work in progress as yet untitled. I was at the show in Newcastle last night and the new song sounded fantastic. Wilson asked the audience not to record the track or upload any video of it to YouTube. Edited by Tony R

The new songs played were actually the same song, which Wilson described as a work in progress as yet untitled. I was at the show in Newcastle last night and the new song sounded fantastic. Wilson asked the audience not to record the track or upload any video of it to YouTube.

Did it sound like anything off of Raven or is he going in a new direction?

The new songs played were actually the same song, which Wilson described as a work in progress as yet untitled. I was at the show in Newcastle last night and the new song sounded fantastic. Wilson asked the audience not to record the track or upload any video of it to YouTube.

Did it sound like anything off of Raven or is he going in a new direction?

I've been lurking around on the PT Forums to see if anyone remembered what the new song sounded like. Few accounts say that the new song sounded like a mix between Insurgentes and PT.

Ouch! Even when Steven Wilson clearly request that the fans to not upload a bootleg of the new song, they do it anyway! Not that I'm condemning the person who did upload that video, but I'd personally would have kept it to myself out of respect for Mr. Wilson's request because I like the guy and I like his music.

Anyway, that new song does indeed have shades of PT in it, but I think it's the most "fresh" sounding material he's done regardless of what project it is.

Ouch! Even when Steven Wilson clearly request that the fans to not upload a bootleg of the new song, they do it anyway! Not that I'm condemning the person who did upload that video, but I'd personally would have kept it to myself out of respect for Mr. Wilson's request because I like the guy and I like his music.

Anyway, that new song does indeed have shades of PT in it, but I think it's the most "fresh" sounding material he's done regardless of what project it is.

Well to be honest, I feel guilty for listening to it, but it sounds fantastic.

Edited by Union 5-3992

Well to be honest, I feel guilty for listening to it, but it sounds fantastic.

Trust me, I feel guilty as well but I can't contain myself when it comes to anything new SW material. I wonder what direction solo album #4 will take cause it does seem "modern" sounding with a hint of some PT going on in there.

I wonder if Minnemann will rejoin the band to record next year or is Chad W. the drummer for the project?

Chad is certainly capable, but I prefer something about Minnemann's personality.

I was reading an interview with Guthrie Govan in Guitarist magazine and he basically says that he is a committed member of The Steven Wilson Band and naturally is engaged with the new album due for release next year. Cryptically he adds that he "doesn't know if he's allowed to give this information out". Suggests to me that the Steven Wilson Band is a "permanent" entity and PT is done.

• Like 1

I shouldn't be surprised that Guthrie's remaining on board the Steven Wilson band, but it does come as a bit of a shock that solo album #4 will be out by next year. I won't be that sad if this spells the end of PT to be honest, because at this point I consider myself a Steven Wilson fan which includes all the projects he's been a part of, but I just wish Steven would just come out and admit that PT's over for good if he's not interested in working under that project anymore instead of leaving the idea for a reformation in the air. I know there will be a bunch of people who'll stop following his music if that happens, but I'm not one of them.
  • Like 1

Now that King Crimson has reformed with Gavin Harrison and there are plans for a fourth SW solo album, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another PT album. I didn't listen to the new song, but if the descriptions are accurate then I'm perfectly okay with more SW solo releases.

I shouldn't be surprised that Guthrie's remaining on board the Steven Wilson band, but it does come as a bit of a shock that solo album #4 will be out by next year. I won't be that sad if this spells the end of PT to be honest, because at this point I consider myself a Steven Wilson fan which includes all the projects he's been a part of, but I just wish Steven would just come out and admit that PT's over for good if he's not interested in working under that project anymore instead of leaving the idea for a reformation in the air. I know there will be a bunch of people who'll stop following his music if that happens, but I'm not one of them.

Steven stated in an interview recently that the band will likely continue their hiatus for 1-10 years. I wouldn't mind if PT is gone for good either, but I don't think that is the case. They all left on good terms so it would be easy for them to get together again. Steven and the other members are all happy pursuing other projects at the moment. The fact that he hasn't declared PT dead and gone shows that he is open to working with them again later on.

For me PT was always Steven Wilson with some stellar drummers (particularly Gavin.) Colin never had much personality on the bass IMHO, and although Richard creates some awesome soundscapes, I always felt he was under the direction of SW. My third favorite member of PT was not even a "real member" - Wes (who is awesome live!!) I suspect PT will do something again one day, but if you try to look at it from Steven's perspective - why? He does what he wants with his own great band. He is not after "fame" or bigger sales. He is an artist and he does exactly what he wants with his band.

Regarding his band, I hope that he keeps Marco in the loop!

• Like 1

According to a post on another forum, Gavin said at a recent clinic that he talks to SW regularly and PT is not over. So I take back my comment from earlier today...I guess it's pretty likely that we'll eventually see more from the band.

Maybe Gavin should drum on solo album #4 if Marco can no longer be committed to working with SW (I'm sure he'll be busy with Levin, Minneman and Rudess for a year) or if Chad's not the drummer SW was looking for in the music he wants to play.

I doubt Minnemann will be busy with LMR for a year, as that's a side project that probably won't tour much if they even decide to play live. If he isn't able to commit to SW's band, it'll probably be because he'd be touring with someone like Joe Satriani or playing with The Aristocrats.

While I'd like MM to stay with the Steven Wilson band, I'd be happy with either Wackerman or Harrison.