Perspective on Lifeson's guitar work

LeaveMyThingAlone

First, some points:

Alex Lifeson is the reason I am such a huge fan of Rush

Clockwork Angels might be my all time favorite Rush album

The last truly great Rush album before CA was Counterparts

So piecing all this together, I realize now how 100% correct Kevin Shirley was in the documentary. Lifeson sounds like crap with reverb and sounds like crap with endless overdubs.

Counterparts and Clockwork Angels are both raw and have those classic Lifeson riffs throughout that are so beautiful. T4E, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows are out of control with guitar as is some of the stuff from Presto and HYF.

Thank God they didn't decidesto add pointless guitar licks on some of these songs because they are classics. They all have those amazing arpeggios and riffs and solos and they are crystal clear. He is such a great guitarist when he keeps it raw and simple

Just a thought...

First, some points:

Alex Lifeson is the reason I am such a huge fan of Rush

Clockwork Angels might be my all time favorite Rush album

The last truly great Rush album before CA was Counterparts

So piecing all this together, I realize now how 100% correct Kevin Shirley was in the documentary. Lifeson sounds like crap with reverb and sounds like crap with endless overdubs.

Counterparts and Clockwork Angels are both raw and have those classic Lifeson riffs throughout that are so beautiful. T4E, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows are out of control with guitar as is some of the stuff from Presto and HYF.

Thank God they didn't decidesto add pointless guitar licks on some of these songs because they are classics. They all have those amazing arpeggios and riffs and solos and they are crystal clear. He is such a great guitarist when he keeps it raw and simple

Just a thought...

interesting- in my opinion S&A is pretty clean compared to VT, T4E, hold your fire.

honestly, I havent fallen in love with CA yet, not yet in my top 10 rush albums. I honestly love VT, think T4E is unnderrated, and S&A kicks a$$.

and in addition, I cant think of any album that alexs guitarwork sounds like crap. It may be that you have a more sophisticated palate than myself when it comes to tone (not being sarcastic)

I'm also a bigger fan of Counterparts than a lot of people seem to be- at the time, I thought it was their best album since Signals, or maybe earlier. Clockwork Angels has taken me some time to warm up to, but I'm liking it more and more. I don't even know if that's the right way to put it, as I can't say that I didn't like it at first- but it's taken some time to develop a personality of its own. I'm more and more into it now than I was last summer.

I think all of the albums since Vapor Trails have been much more riff-driven than melodic, if that makes sense. I think many of the songs from VT and S&A don't stand out from one another, VT especially. And maybe Clockwork also stands out to me more than the two that preceded it because it is rather a "concept" album.

Alex's playing has never been less than stellar, on anything Rush has ever released, though. This post is not a criticism of the musicianship, on the part of any of the three members- consummate players, all of them.

I do agree. S&A was riddled with guitar tracks and even Alex admitted it was a bit much. But I loved his guitar work in VT and S&A. His hard rock playing really shined in those. The older RUSH material was very progressive sounding and I feel that was the pinnacle of his guitar playing. I mean, what more does he have to prove in his playing? It's the same with Geddy. He was a master bassist, even on the first album with Rutsey. He proved his worthiness before RUSH was basically even formed.

S&A is the DVD that reinvigorated my love for Rush. Now, I can listen to nothing else. Driving all those around me batty. If I am listening to music or in the mood (puff puff) I am listening to and watching Rush.

Good thing my wife loves them too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In terms of sheer imagination in use of his instrument, undoubtedly the greatest rock guitarist ever for me.

Dont get me wrong theres some good uns out there that do certain things better in their own style, but Al's a master artist who's explored every corner and crevice in his head with that thing

La villa strangiato was written and played by a god imo

I've always liked Alex the best. Not sure if it is because he is the "underdog" or why.

I do think he has been undervalued his entire career.

I was pleased to see so many "stars" give him props in the doc.

I couldn't agree less!! Lifeson is all about overdubs and has always been.

Besides that: Lifeson never sounds nor sounded like crap.

I dunno man, Alex's guitar work on S and A was fantastic to me. There's something I just love about the layering of acoustic and distorted guitars and Alex sprinkles it throughout, PLUS he finally brought back the glorious open string chorusy chimes from their more technical days. Armor and Sword could be consideres a microcosm of Lifeson's entire body of guitar work. It's got everything, open strings, natural harmonics, chorus and delay, chunky power chords, and tasty acoustic work.
  • Like 1

I seriously think that CA is Alex's low point as a player. Sure, their are some great moments (The solos from Caravan, the title track, and the Anarchist. The intro to 7 Cities. Most of Carnies and the Garden.)

However, I feel like he basically phoned in the rest of the album. To these ears, the riffs on here are pretty uninspired. His guitar has this overly-noisy tone to it for most of the album. The open chords throughout the record just contribute to the muddy sound quality.

For me, the zenith of Alex's playing was Caress of Steel. Perfect tone, tasty solos and not a single note wasted on the whole thing. I have similar feelings about most of his playing up until about T4E. After that, I feel like he got a little too carried away with the overdubs and open chords. It works sometimes: I love VT, and S&A has a really unique quality to it. Unfortunately, CA seemed like it would've been better served with a more "sleek" approach to the guitar.

That being said, I don't play guitar and I probably have no place telling Alex Lifeson how to play.

Glad to hear someone chime in with being uninspired by CA's guitar riffs. There are some great moments, for sure, but it's as if Alex channeled classic rock riffs with this album. To many, that's probably exactly why they love this album... Roots rock, white man's blues, or hard rock and roll, what have you...

I appreciate the old stuff, but I find his other adventures eternally fresh -- the clangs of GUP, the super-catchy emo-melodic riffs of HYF, the dense but clear and colorful Hemispheres, and the big, broad songwriter's chords and rhythms of AFTK, PeW and MP.

Power Window's pinched harmonics and bright big lines, Counterparts grooves and styles, and Presto's black and white art deco angles and patterns. Adventurous guitar everywhere.

Even VT has some really interesting sonic textures and inventions. Too bad it was just so harsh and muddy. I'm snapping up that remix as soon as it's available...

I seriously think that CA is Alex's low point as a player. Sure, their are some great moments (The solos from Caravan, the title track, and the Anarchist. The intro to 7 Cities. Most of Carnies and the Garden.)

However, I feel like he basically phoned in the rest of the album. To these ears, the riffs on here are pretty uninspired. His guitar has this overly-noisy tone to it for most of the album. The open chords throughout the record just contribute to the muddy sound quality.

For me, the zenith of Alex's playing was Caress of Steel. Perfect tone, tasty solos and not a single note wasted on the whole thing. I have similar feelings about most of his playing up until about T4E. After that, I feel like he got a little too carried away with the overdubs and open chords. It works sometimes: I love VT, and S&A has a really unique quality to it. Unfortunately, CA seemed like it would've been better served with a more "sleek" approach to the guitar.

That being said, I don't play guitar and I probably have no place telling Alex Lifeson how to play.

I'm inclined to agree on Caress of steel. The last solo on the Necromancer is one of my favorites from Alex. Simple yet so tasteful and emotional!

I've never really liked all the layering and overdubs they use now

Edited by MMCXII