It takes a while for the car to get to VL, so they usually interview the top 5 (other than winner first).

But usually they interview the 2nd-5th, especially when it's Junior.

Back to backmarker status for Danica next week.

Jimmy Johnson in his post-victory interview (paraphrasing): "Go to Lowes and buy some stuff, go drive a Chevrolet..." While drinking a bottle of Obviously Conspicuous Coke, of course. NASCAR is nothing but one big product placement. Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

That was a good relatively clean race. I liked the fact that there was a minimal last minute crash. I loved that it was action packed instead of wrecktropolis. I hate wrecks in Nascar. It's why I stray more towards F1.

Danica is NOT relevant. She's a circus sideshow!

I sense jealousy :laughing guy:

I am jealous- on behalf of all the talented drivers across America who are more talented, More qualified, and more experienced- who never got the opportunity to drive a top ride, because they don't have "Go Daddy Girl" on their resume.

And after that last caution isn't it funny how NASCAR mysteriously scored Johnson as the leader giving him the preferred line and breaking up Keselouski and Biffle's draft?

± mean, its not like NASCAR has an axe to grind with Keselowski or something...

I am jealous- on behalf of all the talented drivers across America who are more talented, More qualified, and more experienced- who never got the opportunity to drive a top ride, because they don't have "Go Daddy Girl" on their resume.

Did Danica earn the pole position, or was it slipped to her under the table because she's the Go Daddy girl?

Did Danica earn the pole position, or was it slipped to her under the table because she's the Go Daddy girl?

Her team earned the pole... and the top ten. A good driver would've been a serious contender with the fastest car on the track. A pole position at Daytona is no serious driving accomplishment.

Have you ever heard of Loy Allen? I'm guessing No.

Edited by KenJennings

Her team earned the pole... and the top ten. A good driver would've been a serious contender with the fastest car on the track. A pole position at Daytona is no serious driving accomplishment.

Even winning at Daytona, though certainly an accomplishment, generally goes to a driver of less accomplishment than a non plate win. Derrike Cope and Trevor Bayne have won, and Sterling Marlin won more 500s than Dale Earnhardt.

"I'm guessing No." Gee, at least that wasn't snarky or anything... No, I haven't heard of Loy Allen. I'm not a big NASCAR fan. Feeling good about that?

I'm just saying, despite the extra attention Patrick is getting because she's a good-looking girl in a "man's sport" and being on a good team in a fast car (not like she's the only one, I'm guessing), earning the pole AND being in the top ten the whole race earns her some respect as a driver. Maybe it earns her enough respect to NOT get so much superfluous attention in the next 500....maybe five years from now she'll be just another driver. Wouldn't that be horrible???

Here's a quote from Matt Kenseth after winning the pole at the Daytona summer race in 2012. Kenseth is known for being one of the best drivers on the circuit.

The pole marked Kenseth’s eighth in 454 career starts and first at a restrictor-plate track.

“You know that you didn’t have a lot to do with the outcome compared to all the other racetracks, but it’s great to be on the pole,” Kenseth said. “It puts me in the Shootout. … I haven’t won very many poles in my career.”

Kenseth is driving the car that he piloted, and nearly won with, at Talladega in May.

“The car has a lot of speed,” Kenseth said. “I didn’t think we would qualify on the pole. I thought we’d probably be between ninth and 11th. … I don’t feel like a driver has a ton to do with it (here).

“Qualifying doesn’t have a lot to do with us. It’s just having a fast racecar.”

The lack of significance with Danica's pole has nothing to do with misogyny, and everything to do with putting the accomplishment in the appropriate context.

Here's a quote from Matt Kenseth after winning the pole at the Daytona summer race in 2012. Kenseth is known for being one of the best drivers on the circuit.

The pole marked Kenseth’s eighth in 454 career starts and first at a restrictor-plate track.

“You know that you didn’t have a lot to do with the outcome compared to all the other racetracks, but it’s great to be on the pole,” Kenseth said. “It puts me in the Shootout. … I haven’t won very many poles in my career.”

Kenseth is driving the car that he piloted, and nearly won with, at Talladega in May.

“The car has a lot of speed,” Kenseth said. “I didn’t think we would qualify on the pole. I thought we’d probably be between ninth and 11th. … I don’t feel like a driver has a ton to do with it (here).

The lack of significance with Danica's pole has nothing to do with misogyny, and everything to do with putting the accomplishment in the appropriate context.

That makes total sense. Now, I'm asking as someone who does not regularly watch racing -- in a race such as this, does it take some talent to maintain a top-ten place during the whole race, no matter how fast the car might be?

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

"I'm guessing No." Gee, at least that wasn't snarky or anything... No, I haven't heard of Loy Allen. I'm not a big NASCAR fan. Feeling good about that?

I'm just saying, despite the extra attention Patrick is getting because she's a good-looking girl in a "man's sport" and being on a good team in a fast car (not like she's the only one, I'm guessing), earning the pole AND being in the top ten the whole race earns her some respect as a driver. Maybe it earns her enough respect to NOT get so much superfluous attention in the next 500....maybe five years from now she'll be just another driver. Wouldn't that be horrible???

"I'm guessing No." because NOBODY's heard of Loy Allen!! He's a footnote in the NASCAR record books. I'm not guessing "No." because of you, I'm guessing "No." because of Loy Allen's irrelevance. He won the pole for the Daytona 500 in his rookie season, yet only recorded one career top-ten in 6 seasons of racing. He was absolutely invisible- but in his rookie year, he got the pole position at Daytona. So, yes, I'm feeling fine about that statement. You haven't heard of Loy Allen. Very few people remember Loy Allen. That's the exact point I was looking to make.

This was a boring race. Danica's performance was nothing stellar, I honestly don't think I seen her make a single pass on track all day- but then again, there was very little passing in general. She held the throttle open and stayed in line. Her crew kept her car running where it stayed, and she just had to keep her nose clean. I'm not impressed.

This Daytona 500 is aggravating... the non-stop commercials, the Danica sideshow, Kyle Busch wrecking most of my favorite drivers, Brad Keselowski being SCREWED late in the running, Jimmie Johnson winning, and this lame ass 'freight train' one-track racing. They have some bugs to work out with this new car.

I need to go puke right now.

Edited by KenJennings

"I'm guessing No." because NOBODY's heard of Loy Allen!! He's a footnote in the NASCAR record books. I'm not guessing "No." because of you, I'm guessing "No." because of Loy Allen's irrelevance. He won the pole for the Daytona 500 in his rookie season, yet only recorded one career top-ten in 6 seasons of racing. He was absolutely invisible- but in his rookie year, he got the pole position at Daytona. So, yes, I'm feeling fine about that statement. You haven't heard of Loy Allen. Very few people remember Loy Allen. That's the exact point I was looking to make.

This was a boring race. Danica's performance was nothing stellar, I honestly don't think I seen her make a single pass on track all day- but then again, there was very little passing in general. She held the throttle open and stayed in line. Her crew kept her car running where it stayed, and she just had to keep her nose clean. I'm not impressed.

This Daytona 500 is aggravating... the non-stop commercials, the Danica sideshow, Kyle Busch wrecking most of my favorite drivers, Brad Keselowski being SCREWED late in the running, Jimmie Johnson winning, and this lame ass 'freight train' one-track racing. They have some bugs to work out with this new car.

from what I saw she was always in friendly combo's. She really didn't race anyone just stayed in line. I'm sure there was a memo put out by NASCAR called "Don't wreck our moneymaker"

Okay, on the Loy Allen thing, point taken. Thank you for clarifying.

And while I don't regularly watch racing, I agree with a post made in the other thread that Danica did seem to play it safe at the end. But isn't that the whole thing about these NASCAR races? Isn't it all about good drivers on good teams with good crews and fast cars? Someone playing it safe or boxing another car out so a teammate can win? To my untrained eye, that makes Danica no different than any other driver except for the extra attention she's getting because she's a female. That's my main point in all this.

Of course I agree with the rest of your post, which was the subject of my first post. It's the main reason I don't watch NASCAR too often. For a real fan like you, it must be frustrating as hell.

That makes total sense. Now, I'm asking as someone who does not regularly watch racing -- in a race such as this, does it take some talent to maintain a top-ten place during the whole race, no matter how fast the car might be?

I wouldn't argue that Danica is without talent, but at this point in her stock car career there were probably about 35 people in the field who could have done what she did. Based on last year's results, she will struggle to get top 20 finishes in equipment that is equal to any of about 30 cars, and which is probably top 10 or 15 equipment. The other races will be far more indicative of whether she's improved...this is a unique type of racing...you won't see similar racing anywhere else, with the possible exception of the other race at Daytona and at Talladega (and even this is different). If she strings together top 20 finishes that will indicate that she's improved, and might be a top 15 driver.

I think the frustrating thing is not only the publicity and opportunities she's gotten because of her gender (and probably more importantly, looks), when she is in fact likely no better than 20-30 other drivers who have not gotten those opportunities. One of those other drivers is another woman, Johanna Long, who has competed with Danica in the Nationwide Series with an underfunded team and done close to what Danica has done with far more resources.

I hope this answers your question, though obviously it is JMO and could be wrong.

I wouldn't argue that Danica is without talent, but at this point in her stock car career there were probably about 35 people in the field who could have done what she did. Based on last year's results, she will struggle to get top 20 finishes in equipment that is equal to any of about 30 cars, and which is probably top 10 or 15 equipment. The other races will be far more indicative of whether she's improved...this is a unique type of racing...you won't see similar racing anywhere else, with the possible exception of the other race at Daytona and at Talladega (and even this is different). If she strings together top 20 finishes that will indicate that she's improved, and might be a top 15 driver.

I think the frustrating thing is not only the publicity and opportunities she's gotten because of her gender (and probably more importantly, looks), when she is in fact likely no better than 20-30 other drivers who have not gotten those opportunities. One of those other drivers is another woman, Johanna Long, who has competed with Danica in the Nationwide Series with an underfunded team and done close to what Danica has done with far more resources.

I hope this answers your question, though obviously it is JMO and could be wrong.

wait till the short tracks...Bristol will be fun. I hope its warm. Bristol needs a Chase race scheduled...wonder why its not already?

Looking at Danica Patrick's complete professional racing career: between Sprint Cup, Nationwide, ARCA, K&N Pro Series, IndyCar, and a handful of GrandAm races: Danica Patrick has won 1 IndyCar race out of the 195 events she's professionally competed in.

Now lets find someone with about the same number of races (give or take a few), who's had experience in the same kinds of series: Scott Speed.

Looking at Scott Speed's complete professional racing career: between Sprint Cup, Nationwide, CW Truck Series, ARCA. Formula One, Grand Prix, and Grand Am: Scott Speed has won 4 ARCA races and 1 CW Truck series race out of the 216 events he's professional competed in.

Scott Speed drives for an unsponsored family race team. He's earned what little support he has. His five career professional wins have put him in a fringe race team, struggling every day to stay involved in the sport. Danica Patrick drives for a top notch team. She's been given the opportunity to race with the same kind of Hendrick equipment that has won seven of the last ten NASCAR championships. Her one career professional win has put her squarely in the spotlight of media attention, and they have turned her into one of the "Stars of the sport."

It's just not legit. It's not right.

NEW YORK (AP) — With Danica Patrick starting from the pole, the Daytona 500's television ratings were much higher than last year's.

Sunday afternoon's race earned a 9.9 rating and 22 share on Fox, the network said Tuesday. That's up 24 percent from 2012, when rain pushed the event to a Monday night. It was the highest rating since 2008.

Jimmie Johnson won the race while Patrick was eighth, the best finish by a woman at the Daytona 500.

The race had plenty of buildup: Patrick making history as the first woman to start a Sprint Cup race from the pole, the revamped cars, no more tandem drafting and a frightening crash the day before in the second-tier Nationwide Series.

The increases in viewership were particularly notable in some of the country's biggest cities. Ratings were up 91 percent in Chicago, 64 percent in San Francisco, 60 percent in Los Angeles, 59 percent in Boston and 43 percent in New York.

The average rating for women between the ages of 18 and 34 grew by 16 percent.

Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned to a program. Shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time.

http://news.yahoo.com/danica-boosts-daytonas-tv-ratings-last-152607166--spt.html