Petty Blue is Back

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8996368/richard-petty-bringing-back-petty-blue-no-43-car?r=0

I love it!

The hue made famous by NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty once again will become a fixture at Sprint Cup Series events, thanks to an idea pushed by The King of Stock Car Racing and agreed to by the sponsor of the car he once drove and now fields as a team owner.

Smithfield Foods, primary sponsor of the No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Ford driven by Aric Almirola, has agreed to forgo today's common NASCAR practice of rotating complicated specialty paint schemes. Instead, during its 25 races on the hood of Almirola's Fusion, Smithfield will promote its five major brands with much simpler designs, featuring mainly white logos placed atop the iconic shade known as Petty Blue.

• Like 1

NEW YORK (AP) — With Danica Patrick starting from the pole, the Daytona 500's television ratings were much higher than last year's.

Sunday afternoon's race earned a 9.9 rating and 22 share on Fox, the network said Tuesday. That's up 24 percent from 2012, when rain pushed the event to a Monday night. It was the highest rating since 2008.

Jimmie Johnson won the race while Patrick was eighth, the best finish by a woman at the Daytona 500.

The race had plenty of buildup: Patrick making history as the first woman to start a Sprint Cup race from the pole, the revamped cars, no more tandem drafting and a frightening crash the day before in the second-tier Nationwide Series.

The increases in viewership were particularly notable in some of the country's biggest cities. Ratings were up 91 percent in Chicago, 64 percent in San Francisco, 60 percent in Los Angeles, 59 percent in Boston and 43 percent in New York.

The average rating for women between the ages of 18 and 34 grew by 16 percent.

Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned to a program. Shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time.

http://news.yahoo.co...07166--spt.html

If people are watching because of Danica, the networks will be able to charge more for commercials early in the race, before she falls out of contention and goes laps down.

Danica is NOT relevant. She's a circus sideshow!

I sense jealousy :laughing guy:

I am jealous- on behalf of all the talented drivers across America who are more talented, More qualified, and more experienced- who never got the opportunity to drive a top ride, because they don't have "Go Daddy Girl" on their resume.

Did Danica earn the pole position, or was it slipped to her under the table because she's the Go Daddy girl?

Her team earned the pole... and the top ten. A good driver would've been a serious contender with the fastest car on the track. A pole position at Daytona is no serious driving accomplishment.

Have you ever heard of Loy Allen? I'm guessing No.

Actually yes!

When I was growing up, I had a butt-load of NASCAR 1:64th diecasts that I played with. I drove my parents nuts because I'd line up 43 (yep, full field) on the kitchen table and procede to run around the table, moving the field 2 or 3 cars at a time, and have a race. And I insisted on making it as long as a real race too, thus the why it drove my parents nuts.

Anyways, so among those 43 cars, I had several interesting names from back then that have faded into obscurity. Loy Allen drove a #19 red and yellow car (I think)... not sure what the sponsor was anymore.

Edit: It's amazing what you find on the internet. This is what I was thinking of:

http://images46.fotki.com/v530/photos/3/348354/5675301/DickTrickle-vi.jpg

It was actually a die-cast of Dick Trickle. Loy Allen was hurt. I remember the back saying "Hurry Back Loy!" too now, which is probably why Loy stuck in my memory, since it was stuck on the back of that car.

Edited by New World Kid

Danica is NOT relevant. She's a circus sideshow!

I sense jealousy :laughing guy:

I am jealous- on behalf of all the talented drivers across America who are more talented, More qualified, and more experienced- who never got the opportunity to drive a top ride, because they don't have "Go Daddy Girl" on their resume.

Did Danica earn the pole position, or was it slipped to her under the table because she's the Go Daddy girl?

Her team earned the pole... and the top ten. A good driver would've been a serious contender with the fastest car on the track. A pole position at Daytona is no serious driving accomplishment.

Have you ever heard of Loy Allen? I'm guessing No.

Actually yes!

When I was growing up, I had a butt-load of NASCAR 1:64th diecasts that I played with. I drove my parents nuts because I'd line up 43 (yep, full field) on the kitchen table and procede to run around the table, moving the field 2 or 3 cars at a time, and have a race. And I insisted on making it as long as a real race too, thus the why it drove my parents nuts.

Anyways, so among those 43 cars, I had several interesting names from back then that have faded into obscurity. Loy Allen drove a #19 red and yellow car (I think)... not sure what the sponsor was anymore.

Edit: It's amazing what you find on the internet. This is what I was thinking of:

http://images46.fotki.com/v530/photos/3/348354/5675301/DickTrickle-vi.jpg

It was actually a die-cast of Dick Trickle. Loy Allen was hurt. I remember the back saying "Hurry Back Loy!" too now, which is probably why Loy stuck in my memory, since it was stuck on the back of that car.

My son did this too when he was 3 and 4. Once he took scissors to a car to simulate that one had been in a crash.

He didn't have a Loy Allen (or Dick Trickle for that matter) but he did have a Rick Mast diecast (not to mention a few Buckshot Jones 00 cars.

I have a box somewhere with hundreds of 1/64th scale die casts. I've got quite a few Buckshot Jones, some Rick Masts, plenty of Hut Stricklands, a couple Robert Pressleys, and even a few Lake speeds: but I don't think I have ANY Loy Allens. :LOL:

I have a box somewhere with hundreds of 1/64th scale die casts. I've got quite a few Buckshot Jones, some Rick Masts, plenty of Hut Stricklands, a couple Robert Pressleys, and even a few Lake speeds: but I don't think I have ANY Loy Allens. :LOL:

Ah yes, the #23 Hut Stricklin Hills Bros car from Bill Davis racing.

:clap:

Dick Trickle/Loy Allen for Buckshot Jones, straight up? :LOL:

My son did this too when he was 3 and 4. Once he took scissors to a car to simulate that one had been in a crash.

He didn't have a Loy Allen (or Dick Trickle for that matter) but he did have a Rick Mast diecast (not to mention a few Buckshot Jones 00 cars.

I remember cutting up garbage ties to use as debris xD

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

Dick Trickle/Loy Allen for Buckshot Jones, straight up? :LOL:

I remember cutting up garbage ties to use as debris xD

Phony debris cautions at opportune times. Now there's realism!

Headlines from ESPN's coverage of NASCAR today:

-Edwards wins Phoenix to snap 70-race skid

-Danica not injured after hard wreck at Phoenix

Why is Danica's wreck news!?!? Ryan Newman, Dave Blaney, and Ken Schrader all hit the wall pretty hard today too! I don't see them getting a headline! God this is getting annoying!

Why is Danica's wreck news!?!? Ryan Newman, Dave Blaney, and Ken Schrader all hit the wall pretty hard today too! I don't see them getting a headline! God this is getting annoying!

You would have loved the promo by Fox for next week's race.

"Danica Patrick and Jimmie Johnson lead NASCAR into Las Vegas..."

They didn't...

:facepalm:

• Like 1

They didn't...

:facepalm:

They are going to milk that cash cow for all its worth.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9014873/report-nra-sponsor-texas-sprint-cup-race

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The National Rifle Association is expected to announce on Monday that it has reached a deal to sponsor the April 13 Sprint Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway, according to a report in the Sports Business Journal.

It will be the first NRA-branded race in NASCAR's premier series. The organization sponsored a Nationwide Series race at Atlanta last season.

The deal comes on the heels of NASCAR announcement last month in Daytona Beach about its efforts to raise funds and awareness for the 20 children and six adults killed as part of a mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.

NASCAR partnered with Swan Racing to put a Sandy Hook School Support Fund paint scheme on the No. 26 car driven by Michael Waltrip in the Daytona 500.

Sources told ESPN.com there were concerns during Speedweeks that the TMS deal might become public and impact NASCAR's efforts for Newtown.

Swan Racing, with David Stremme as the full-time driver, is not scheduled to have the Sandy Hook paint scheme for any other races. The organization will begin a 10-race deal with Lean1 on the car at Texas.

NASCAR officials did not immediately return messages regarding the NRA's deal with Texas.

During the announcement of the Sandy Hook paint scheme, NASCAR chairman Brian France said the trip to Newtown to introduce the car "was one of the hardest things and best things I've ever done.''

France personally donated $50,000 to the fund.

"Being in Newtown last week and delivering a moment of happiness to that community was unlike anything I've ever experienced,'' France said at the news conference. "Looking out at a room of smiling faces amidst the aftermath of a horrible tragedy was very powerful.

"It hit me that the NASCAR industry and our passionate fan base have an unbelievable opportunity to rally around this cause and make a huge difference for a community in need. I am excited to witness firsthand the NASCAR community's embrace and support of the Sandy Hook School Support Fund."

TMS president Eddie Gossage, involved in media day at the track, was not immediately available for comment. Financial terms were unavailable, but the SBJ said Cup sponsorship typically sells in the high-six figure to low-seven figure range.

The race winners at TMS traditionally are photographed with empty six-shooters and a cowboy hat in Victory Lane.

http://espn.go.com/d...sprint-cup-race

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The National Rifle Association is expected to announce on Monday that it has reached a deal to sponsor the April 13 Sprint Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway, according to a report in the Sports Business Journal.

It will be the first NRA-branded race in NASCAR's premier series. The organization sponsored a Nationwide Series race at Atlanta last season.

The deal comes on the heels of NASCAR announcement last month in Daytona Beach about its efforts to raise funds and awareness for the 20 children and six adults killed as part of a mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.

NASCAR partnered with Swan Racing to put a Sandy Hook School Support Fund paint scheme on the No. 26 car driven by Michael Waltrip in the Daytona 500.

Sources told ESPN.com there were concerns during Speedweeks that the TMS deal might become public and impact NASCAR's efforts for Newtown.

Swan Racing, with David Stremme as the full-time driver, is not scheduled to have the Sandy Hook paint scheme for any other races. The organization will begin a 10-race deal with Lean1 on the car at Texas.

NASCAR officials did not immediately return messages regarding the NRA's deal with Texas.

During the announcement of the Sandy Hook paint scheme, NASCAR chairman Brian France said the trip to Newtown to introduce the car "was one of the hardest things and best things I've ever done.''

"Being in Newtown last week and delivering a moment of happiness to that community was unlike anything I've ever experienced,'' France said at the news conference. "Looking out at a room of smiling faces amidst the aftermath of a horrible tragedy was very powerful.

"It hit me that the NASCAR industry and our passionate fan base have an unbelievable opportunity to rally around this cause and make a huge difference for a community in need. I am excited to witness firsthand the NASCAR community's embrace and support of the Sandy Hook School Support Fund."

TMS president Eddie Gossage, involved in media day at the track, was not immediately available for comment. Financial terms were unavailable, but the SBJ said Cup sponsorship typically sells in the high-six figure to low-seven figure range.

The race winners at TMS traditionally are photographed with empty six-shooters and a cowboy hat in Victory Lane.

For God's sake, what connection even exists between the NRA and Sandy Hook. Jeez, people go out of their way to make controversy.

http://espn.go.com/d...sprint-cup-race

For God's sake, what connection even exists between the NRA and Sandy Hook. Jeez, people go out of their way to make controversy.

Sports media is (if it's possible) even more PC than the political media.

Oh, this is awesome!

http://msn.foxsports...s-030713#!b8htF

Denny Hamlin said on Thursday that he refuses to pay the fine that NASCAR assessed him after comments he made regarding the new Generation 6 car last weekend at Phoenix International Raceway. The car debuted in the Sprint Cup Series this season.

"I’ll be honest. I’m not going to say anything for the rest of the year, as long as it relates to competition," Hamlin said Thursday. "You can ask me how my daughter is, talk to me after wins about what-have-you, but as long as it relates to competition, I’m out, from here on out. The bad part is that I feel like I’ve been a pretty good spokesman for them, and being positive when things aren’t always positive. They just lost one small spokesman today — that’s all.

"For what I understand, it’s comparing the Gen-6 car to the Gen-5, comparing the two. I shouldn’t have done that.

"Ultimately, I’m not OK with it. This is the most upset and angry I’ve been in a really, really long time, about anything, anything that relates to NASCAR. You have strong opinions about a lot of things, whether it be Clements’ suspension, things like that. A lot of people hold their tongues, and some people don’t — like Brad.

"The truth is what the truth is, and I don’t believe in this. I’m never going to believe in it. As far as I’m concerned, I’m not going to pay the fine. If they suspend me, they suspend me. I don’t care at this point.

"It’s an opinion, and it’s not even a bad one. I’ve got to be careful, because I don’t want to make things worse than they already are, and this is something that was absolutely nothing that got blown into to something, and it’s just going to be worse for them. So let them deal with it."

Hamlin, who has been penalized twice by NASCAR for comments regarding competition, was fined $25,000 on Thursday.

“Following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event last Sunday at Phoenix International Raceway, Denny Hamlin made some disparaging remarks about the on-track racing that had taken place that afternoon,” NASCAR said in a statement. “While NASCAR gives its competitors ample leeway in voicing their opinions when it comes to a wide range of aspects about the sport, the sanctioning body will not tolerate publicly made comments by its drivers that denigrate the racing product.”

In a news conference after Hamlin's comments, NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton further addressed the penalty.

"We give them quite a bit of latitude," he said. "You can’t slam the racing. You can’t slam the product. That’s where it crosses the line.”

Pemberton said that Hamlin has the right to appeal to the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel. To initiate the process, Hamlin must send notification of the appeal to NASCAR. After that, he can continue to compete until the hearing.

“It's like every other appeal,” Pemberton said. “Over the course of time, you remember mechanics and crew chiefs, whatever, if they appeal, then they can continue to carry on business as usual until the appeal has been heard and ruled on.

“The fines are supposed to be paid as soon as possible but we’re not in any of those windows where it seems to be a problem.”

At Phoenix, Hamlin started from the rear of the field in the race, then moved up to finish third. Afterwards, he offered this assessment of the new car, leading to the penalty: ''I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars. This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning.''

Edited by KenJennings

You know, Brian France should have his own thread.just to keep up with his idiocy.

You know, Brian France should have his own thread.just to keep up with his idiocy.

Denny's not backing down. He's gaining a lot of respect from me.

Posted today on Twitter by @dennyhamlin :

The short of the long of it is I believe I was severely disrespected by NASCAR by getting fined. I believe that the simple fact of us not even having a conversation about this issue before I was hit with a fine has something to say about our relationship. What I said was 1 sentence taken completely out of context. Most drivers will tell you that we constantly have our AND nascars best interest in mind when speaking. On the other hand I am a person that worked very hard from the BOTTOM to get where I am today and someone telling me that I can['t] give my 100 percent honest opinion really bothers me. Since being fined in 2010 I have been a lot more careful about what I say to media and I felt this past weekend felt completely in my rights to give a assessment of the question asked. I feel as if today NASCAR lost one of its biggest supporters vocally of where our sport is headed. So in the end there are no winners. I said today I would not pay the fine. I stand by that and will go through the process of appealing. Trust me, this is not about the money.. It's much deeper. I will now shift my focus on giving FedEx and my team what they deserve this weekend, a win.
  • Like 1

And here are the supposed 'detrimental' comments he made that warranted a $25,000 fine:

"We learned a lot. I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars. This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning. The teams hadn't figured out how to get the aero balance right. Right now, you just run single-file and you cannot get around the guy in front of you. You would have placed me in 20th-place with 30 (laps) to go, I would have stayed there -- I wouldn't have moved up. It's just one of those things where track position is everything."

Denny's not backing down. He's gaining a lot of respect from me.

Posted today on Twitter by @dennyhamlin :

The short of the long of it is I believe I was severely disrespected by NASCAR by getting fined. I believe that the simple fact of us not even having a conversation about this issue before I was hit with a fine has something to say about our relationship. What I said was 1 sentence taken completely out of context. Most drivers will tell you that we constantly have our AND nascars best interest in mind when speaking. On the other hand I am a person that worked very hard from the BOTTOM to get where I am today and someone telling me that I can['t] give my 100 percent honest opinion really bothers me. Since being fined in 2010 I have been a lot more careful about what I say to media and I felt this past weekend felt completely in my rights to give a assessment of the question asked. I feel as if today NASCAR lost one of its biggest supporters vocally of where our sport is headed. So in the end there are no winners. I said today I would not pay the fine. I stand by that and will go through the process of appealing. Trust me, this is not about the money.. It's much deeper. I will now shift my focus on giving FedEx and my team what they deserve this weekend, a win.

Go Denny...I bet he gets some of the biggest cheers of the weekend at Vegas. Hopefully he and Brad keep up the honesty.

Next to Danica, of course. ;)

Bill France Jr. did a great job of building the sport of NASCAR into something huge. Too bad his last decision was to hand over the reins to his incompetent idiot alcoholic son.

It will be interesting to see what the Waltrips have to say about this on the broadcast this weekend. Ah, hell, who am I kidding? No it won't.

• Like 2

Dear Denny Hamlin, Brad Keselowski, and other NASCAR drivers who find themselves fined:

There's a whole racing series running right now that would desperately love to have you in it. And the cars will drive better than Generation 1-6 NASCARs. They'll let you say whatever you want, likely through owner-apathy. The racing is better there than NASCAR with their latest 'generation' car, as per quite a few magazines who reviewed their 2012 season. And hey, there's no Danica anymore.

The catch is, you'll have to take a little less money. But that's basically it.

So, are you a bigger fan of racing, or money. You choose.

Sincerely,

An IndyCar Fan.

And in the Hamlin controversy, the Waltrips come down on the side of...

wait for it...

you're not gonna believe this...

no, seriously, I was shocked...

NASCAR. Come on, admit it, you were fooled...