Is Pat Benatar metal?

The greatness of Pat Benatar  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Metal or Rock?

• Yeah—she was a metal
    • Nope—garden variety female rock star

Is she at the top of the heap in terms of female vocalists from her era?

Ann Wilson is at the top of that heap.

I'd say that heap is begging Ann to get the hell off

:LOL:

Her voice has more range and power. She squashes the competition!

• Like 1

One thing to remember about Pat is that she was studying to be an operatic singer and had planned to attend Julliard before changing course.

This is one of my favorites of Pat.

If you've had a bad day and want to change your mood check out this one.

Edited by calirush

Can someone please clarify 'metal'. I still can't figure out why Rush was considered metal in the 70s. Thanks for any imput. :haz:

You know you're opening Pandora's Box From Hell with this one, don't you Babycat? :LOL: :lol:

I'm not quite sure how to answer that, but possibly..! :P

Can someone please clarify 'metal'. I still can't figure out why Rush was considered metal in the 70s. Thanks for any imput. :haz:

You know you're opening Pandora's Box From Hell with this one, don't you Babycat? :LOL: :lol:

Do you remember King Troll?

Ummm... is that a member here..?

Metal 101. From Wikipedia..

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music[1] that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and in the United States.[2] With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.[3]

The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, though they were often critically reviled, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence;[4][5]Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal fans became known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".

During the 1980s, glam metal became a commercial force with groups like Mötley Crüe and Poison. Underground scenes produced an array of more extreme, aggressive styles: thrash metal broke into the mainstream with bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, while other styles of the most extreme subgenres of metal like death metal and black metal remain subcultural phenomena. Since the mid-1990s, popular styles such as nu metal, which often incorporates elements of grunge and hip hop; and metalcore, which blends extreme metal with hardcore punk, have further expanded the definition of the genre.

HideCharacteristics

Heavy metal is traditionally characterized by loud distorted guitars, emphatic rhythms, dense bass-and-drum sound, and vigorous vocals. Metal subgenres variously emphasize, alter, or omit one or more of these attributes. New York Times critic Jon Pareles writes, "In the taxonomy of popular music, heavy metal is a major subspecies of hard-rock—the breed with less syncopation, less blues, more showmanship and more brute force."[6] The typical band lineup includes a drummer, a bassist, a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, and a singer, who may or may not be an instrumentalist. Keyboard instruments are sometimes used to enhance the fullness of the sound.[7]

• Like 1

Was, I guess. Haven't seen him in a while. Would go to very long lenghts to prove Rush are metal.

Personally, I like to think "metal" is defined by sound and attitude more than anything else. Musical technique and dress code come second.

Sound can go from downtuned Iommi "dark" sound to abrahasive thrash metal sound. Anything in between and even beyond that. Even djent.

Attitude is more subjective, of course. It encompasses the will to be innovative, iconoclastic, creative, to explore new territories. Also, it is built upon active introspection and expanded self-awareness. "I want to scr-w girls" is hardly proof of metalness for me, though it might be for anyone else. There are exceptions, of course. Van Halen and Crue are metal, because they took it to the extreme and bear the scars for it.

Thus, Pat Benatar is more metal than Bon Jovi, in my book.

Tori Amos is more metal than Poison.

Johnny Cash is more metal than Burzum.

No one will agree with me but who cares?

• Like 2

I think they were. If you listen to What You're Doing, for example, the main riff is basically Heartbreaker from Led Zeppelin II. Circumstances and The Trees? Both metal songs to my ears. Like I said, to me metal isn't Cookie Monster singing "Kill your mother" while everyone else in the band plays as fast as they can. That's noise.

Early Pat Benatar was metal.

This was from her video for "You Better Run" and was the second video to ever be played on MTV. She started a look as well. If you remember, some of the girls on "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" from 1982.

And on that note:

http://youtu.be/JR2nNMGubtQ

At Christmas 1982, when I wasn't listening to "Subdivisions" from the new Rush album, I was listening to this, which I got for Christmas as well.. Two actors you might recognize are Judge Reinhold from "Fast Times..." and Bill Paxton from "Twister" and "Titanic".

http://youtu.be/MEbTRl6oq58

Was, I guess. Haven't seen him in a while. Would go to very long lenghts to prove Rush are metal.

Personally, I like to think "metal" is defined by sound and attitude more than anything else. Musical technique and dress code come second.

Sound can go from downtuned Iommi "dark" sound to abrahasive thrash metal sound. Anything in between and even beyond that. Even djent.

Attitude is more subjective, of course. It encompasses the will to be innovative, iconoclastic, creative, to explore new territories. Also, it is built upon active introspection and expanded self-awareness. "I want to scr-w girls" is hardly proof of metalness for me, though it might be for anyone else. There are exceptions, of course. Van Halen and Crue are metal, because they took it to the extreme and bear the scars for it.

You just shot Bon Jovi through the heart...Johnny Cash metal? I can see it...Cool

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music[1] that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and in the United States.[2] With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.[3]

The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, though they were often critically reviled, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence;[4][5]Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal fans became known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".

During the 1980s, glam metal became a commercial force with groups like Mötley Crüe and Poison. Underground scenes produced an array of more extreme, aggressive styles: thrash metal broke into the mainstream with bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, while other styles of the most extreme subgenres of metal like death metal and black metal remain subcultural phenomena. Since the mid-1990s, popular styles such as nu metal, which often incorporates elements of grunge and hip hop; and metalcore, which blends extreme metal with hardcore punk, have further expanded the definition of the genre.

HideCharacteristics

Heavy metal is traditionally characterized by loud distorted guitars, emphatic rhythms, dense bass-and-drum sound, and vigorous vocals. Metal subgenres variously emphasize, alter, or omit one or more of these attributes. New York Times critic Jon Pareles writes, "In the taxonomy of popular music, heavy metal is a major subspecies of hard-rock—the breed with less syncopation, less blues, more showmanship and more brute force."[6] The typical band lineup includes a drummer, a bassist, a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, and a singer, who may or may not be an instrumentalist. Keyboard instruments are sometimes used to enhance the fullness of the sound.[7]

I think they were. If you listen to What You're Doing, for example, the main riff is basically Heartbreaker from Led Zeppelin II. Circumstances and The Trees? Both metal songs to my ears. Like I said, to me metal isn't Cookie Monster singing "Kill your mother" while everyone else in the band plays as fast as they can. That's noise.

:haz: :haz: :haz: Thank you guys so much! :haz: :haz: :haz:

HideCharacteristics

You're welcome baby!

People need to remember that the definition of metal today is not the same as it was in the 70's. not even close! Metal has come a long way! Bands like Queen, Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin aren't really considered metal by most people today but they were in the 70's

• Like 2

HideCharacteristics

You're welcome baby!

People need to remember that the definition of metal today is not the same as it was in the 70's. not even close! Metal has come a long way! Bands like Queen, Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin aren't really considered metal by most people today but they were in the 70's

:haz: :NP: :yay: :hail: :cool: :haz: :NP: :yay: :hail: :cool: :haz: :NP: :yay: :hail: :cool:

Metal? Hell no. I think she was a little more than your garden variety pop star though. I actually like some of her music.

The way you word this makes you sound like you don't like METAL :haz: :o "metal? hell no! I actually like some of her music!" :o :eh: :wtf: :smash: :fury: :givebeer:

Her early stuff is really good stuff, heck great stuff. Great craft and songwriting

Look why don't you go ahead and hit me with your best shot! :bitchslap:

Each time you hit me...I die jus' a lil' bit. Why do you hurt me Treeduck?

Metal? Hell no. I think she was a little more than your garden variety pop star though. I actually like some of her music.

The way you word this makes you sound like you don't like METAL :haz: :o "metal? hell no! I actually like some of her music!" :o :eh: :wtf: :smash: :fury: :givebeer:

Her early stuff is really good stuff, heck great stuff. Great craft and songwriting

Look why don't you go ahead and hit me with your best shot! :bitchslap:

Each time you hit me...I die jus' a lil' bit. Why do you hurt me Treeduck?

In the red corner...

Big fan of her early stuff and I dont hate her other stuff either. Not metal, but some hard rock leanings in the early years. Her first couple of tours her band had 2 guitarists as evidenced by a few boots from '79 and '80 and those rock. After adding a keyboardist in the studio and on tour, she was more or less 80's pop rock, but I'm still a sucker for her 80's music, as poppy as it is.

HideCharacteristics

thank you sir for this definition...education is important

started out as classic rock, and today she's about as metal as a cotton ball. Edited by librarian
  • Like 1