New Fates Warning album!

bathory

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=25371

not sure if there are any fates warning fans here, but they've got a new record coming out soon and it should be pretty cool

these guys are considered pioneers of progressive metal, but too many people I know have never even heard of them...to me, they're must-hear for fans of maiden, priest, queensryche, etc

• Like 1

Fates Warning rocks!!! Looking forward for the new album...they should have been much bigger, I wonder what bad business decisions they made that stopped them from being as great as Dream Theater or Queensryche.
  • Like 1

Love this band. Parallels...Inside Out....Perfect Symmetry...A Pleasant Shade of Grey. If they bring back Joe DiBiase that would be fantastic!

Haven't listened to this band much over the last few years, that tends to happen with me a lot when there's a large gap of inactivity from an artist. Looking forward to what they'll come up with.

The band was moderately known in metal circles in the late 80s and early 90s but they never got much beyond that. I know Awaken The Guardian was the first album on metal blade records to debut on the billboard 200 in the US. From there all the way up to Parallels they did have some decent success but like most other metal acts their following was killed by grunge in the early 90s. But they responded nicely to that with the awesome A Plesant Shade Of Gray :haz:

Now i'll have to go dust off their albums and listen to them sometime this week.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Fates Warning rocks!!! Looking forward for the new album...they should have been much bigger, I wonder what bad business decisions they made that stopped them from being as great as Dream Theater or Queensryche.

personally, I like fates warning more than dream theater or queensryche -- might not be as musically talented but I think if you compare all their discographies, fates warning wins by a wide margin

This might not be out till December, not much info there...

yeah honestly I just wanted an excuse to make a fates warning thread

You don't need an excuse mate!

:haz: :cheers:

:haz: I love all the 80s progressive metal bands, I thought about making a thread for prog metal bands but I was worried it'd just be another dream theater/queensryche/opeth-fest

To me it goes like this: DT> FW> QR. I first heard FW in the late 80´s, when Kevin Moore played on A Pleasant Shade of Grey - I bought it and decided to check out the rest of their catalogue, which is friggin´ awesome. Then last year they came to São Paulo supportin Queensryche and with Mike Portnoy filling in on drums - that was the show when Geoff Tate spit on Scott Rockenfield and kickstarted the whole feud in the band. That was a great night, check out Mike´s drum cam:

To me it goes like this: DT> FW> QR. I first heard FW in the late 80´s, when Kevin Moore played on A Pleasant Shade of Grey - I bought it and decided to check out the rest of their catalogue, which is friggin´ awesome. Then last year they came to São Paulo supportin Queensryche and with Mike Portnoy filling in on drums - that was the show when Geoff Tate spit on Scott Rockenfield and kickstarted the whole feud in the band. That was a great night, check out Mike´s drum cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhtKqKm_TY

I'm sorry if I offend you but this video makes me despise Mike Port"Annoy" even more!! He doesn't even come close to Scott Rockenfield.

Mike is totally displaying is cocky arrogance here. Standing up and playing like a f***ing robot on crack cocaine. He reminds me of RIKKI ROCKETT! LOL!!!!!!

Mike is talented but in the drumming world he is one of the most overrated, textbook drummers of all time!!!!!!!

No wonder he has no true one band anymore. He is a whore with sticks looking for his next project that will ultimately FAIL.

I will support the Rockenfield Ryche!

Thanks for posting! TATE IS TOAST!

Wow! Portnoy even sucks playing to Queensryche songs.

He is horrific playing the Rush stuff. JMO

Neil was right on the "Big Money" when he called Mike a "STREET MUSICIAN!"

WHAT IRONY!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

A rich kid from New York going to learn how to play drums with school books and click tracks. MIKE PORTNOY PLAYS WITHOUT A SOUL!

RUSHHEAD666 - Very easy to say that about Mike Portnoy now, after a zillion drummers copied his style. He kickstarted a whole trend with Images & Words and Awake. To use a very common analogy, try reading Shakespeare nowadays and tell me it´s not boring and predictable!

But no offense taken, of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I must admit, not everyone enjoys Mike´s on stage persona. And I propose that we forget this discussion now - this is a topic about a kickass band, let´s not hijack it and turn it into a discussion about MP´s drumming skills.

:cheers: :cheers:

also imo, fates warning kicks queensryche's ass!

if you guys want an awesome band that was clearly queensryche inspired, check out LETHAL, their album PROGRAMMED, practically ripping off tate's vocals but it's great shit

also imo, fates warning kicks queensryche's ass!

Ditto! If you look at their back catalogue, FW is much more consistent, with much better songs, even though they have been on a long hiatus. That being said, I still wish they brought back Mark Zonder. The man runs circles around Mike Portnoy and Scott Rockenfiled!