Concert Footage From '77 - '80?

Thunder Bay Rush

Does anyone know of any concert footage from the AFT Kings, Hemispheres or P Waves tours? I thought there would be something on the Google, but I can't find anything. I don't know of any commercially (professionally) produced concerts of this era. I would give my right ball for some... (and maybe the left one also if it's really good quality footage.)

There is tons of footage (professionally made by the band) from the Moving Pictures tour onward, but not much at all from earlier years. Starting in about 1981, Rush produced a steady stream of concert videos (Exit Stage left, Grace under Pressure Tour, A Show of Hands, etc), but there's none from earlier that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance...

TBR

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

Does anyone know of any concert footage from the AFT Kings, Hemispheres or P Waves tours? I thought there would be something on the Google, but I can't find anything. I don't know of any commercially (professionally) produced concerts of this era. I would give my right ball for some... (and maybe the left one also if it's really good quality footage.)

There is tons of footage (professionally made by the band) from the Moving Pictures tour onward, but not much at all from earlier years. Starting in about 1981, Rush produced a steady stream of concert videos (Exit Stage left, Grace under Pressure Tour, A Show of Hands, etc), but there's none from earlier that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance...

TBR

Well, there are the 3 songs from Don Kirschner's Rock Concert from 1974 (which I think all appear on the R30 DVD) then you have that Captiol Theater show from 1976 which is in collector circles. The only other thing is the second half of La Villa Stangiato which I think was also released on on of the DVDs. Oh...and I think a soundcheck from 1979 or 1980 is also on that R30 DVD as a bonus.

There may a few other bit and pieces that I forgot, but the pickings are slim for that time period. They were on the road for so much time duirng that period that they likely didn't give it much thought.

The '76 show from Capitol Theater show in Passaic is an absolute must have. I have all of La Villa Strangiato from Pink Pop in I believe '79. Most of that was shown on BTLS. Outside of the '76 Passaic show, there are no other bootlegs around until '83, Signals tour. Sure would like to see something from Hemispheres. Fortunately there are quite a number of excellent audio boots from nearly every tour.

Thanks, boys... i have all of the footage you mentioned. I was really hoping for something, maybe even a whole show from tht late 70s era. the Passaic show is good for sure.

For me, Rush really made its mark on AFT Kings and into Hemispheres because that's when their sound really matured. Keyboards and pedals came in to the sound, Neil's additional sounds came in and Alex starting using guitar synths and many different guitars, including double-necks, and the writing AND playing improved 100%.

Plus, that tour is when they first headlined (for the most part) and had the big live show including the video screen, pyro (flash pots, which were THE pyro of the day) and really cool lights by done Howard. I'll never forget the blue and red lights (Hemispheres tour) coming down from each side of the stage...

To see that era on video would be cooler than an all you can eat prime rib dinner... every day.

If you look up "A Farewell to Kings" on youtube, it will come up with a live video of them perfroming that song from the Farewell to Kings tour. If you go to the Artist link, there is also a live performance of Xanadu from the same tour.

If you look up "A Farewell to Kings" on youtube, it will come up with a live video of them perfroming that song from the Farewell to Kings tour. If you go to the Artist link, there is also a live performance of Xanadu from the same tour.

Thanks, but all I could find on the You Tube was audio from that era. If you are able to, please post the links of the video of AFTK tour on here...

Thx!

I'll bet a dozen donuts that their management has a bunch of reasonably good video footage from'77 - '80 locked away somewhere. I'll bet TWO dozen donuts that if they released a full length DVD of some of it, it would fly off the shelves.

That sounds like the Soundstage videos.

They did videos for Closer to The Heart, A Farewell To Kings, Xanadu, Circumstances, The Trees and La Villa Strangiato and I believe those performances are different than what ended up on the actual albums if I recall correctly.

These appeared on bootlegs over the years until all of them eventually got released commerically over the years on various DVDs.

They did videos for Closer to The Heart, A Farewell To Kings, Xanadu, Circumstances, The Trees and La Villa Strangiato and I believe those performances are different than what ended up on the actual albums if I recall correctly.

These appeared on bootlegs over the years until all of them eventually got released commerically over the years on various DVDs.

Yes, I think you're right... I had forgotten about those performances. If they're the ones you're talking about they were shot in front of a small studio audience at Seneca College in Toronto. The performance was broadcast on a 1977 Canadian TV special called "Rock Times Three." I remember seeing it on the air when I was 15. It featured Rush as the main attraction, plus, the Ian Thomas Band (Painted Ladies) and The Stampeders (Sweet City Woman.) All three bands were popluar Canadian acts at the time, but Rush was the only one headlining 10,000 - 15,000 seaters.

The performance was "lip synched" but still cool to see. Rush did AFTK, Xanadu and Closer to the Heart.

Yes, I think you're right... I had forgotten about those performances. If they're the ones you're talking about they were shot in front of a small studio audience at Seneca College in Toronto. The performance was broadcast on a 1977 Canadian TV special called "Rock Times Three." I remember seeing it on the air when I was 15. It featured Rush as the main attraction, plus, the Ian Thomas Band (Painted Ladies) and The Stampeders (Sweet City Woman.) All three bands were popluar Canadian acts at the time, but Rush was the only one headlining 10,000 - 15,000 seaters.

The performance was "lip synched" but still cool to see. Rush did AFTK, Xanadu and Closer to the Heart.

I didn't know that. I knew they were filmed at Seneca, but I didn't know it was that big of a deal. Thanks for sharing that. I thought that the Hemisheres video were filmed in a similar fashion.

I remember paying like $35 for a poorly transferred VHS of the three a Farewell To Kings videos and the three Don Kirschner videos back in the day.

I had mixed feelings about that.