2012 - A great year to be a Rush fan

Jeffrey

Back in the very early 80's when I got into this band I would never have imagined that in 2012 I'd be celebrating such a great year for Rush:

- first and foremost, the release of Clockwork Angels where the majority of Rush fans accept this release as one of their best in many years

- an extensive tour that again the majority of fans see as Rush still playing at an extremely high level of their game

- a tour that is recorded for an upcoming DVD (another item that we will have for life when we want to revisit the tour)

- confirmation of further 2013 dates

- miscellaneous goodies (the novel, re-release of 2112, string section etc.)

- a nomination and then confirmation for the RRHOF (again the majority are thrilled about this despite the 14 year late snub we have endured)

A shout out to all the great fans who also made this year happen with their devotion to the band we still have so much reason to love.

• Like 2

I agree. I mean, i've been a fan since 01 and my "fandom" has never changed but yeah, id say this year the fans had a lot to be pleased about. Just with the tour, the induction, the goodies, Neil's drumming DVD and corresponding book for it, Clockwork Angels, CD and book. And the fact that they decided to on tour, instead of dropping/adding songs, they decided to switch them out. Thats definitely a treat right there.

If only they put Afterimage on tour, then id be REALLY happy lol

I disagree with your first sweeping generalization.

What, that Rush's Clockwork Angels is generally regarded as a very good album? Well, all the reviews I've seen support this statement (most reviews regard CA as very good/excellent, while a small minority see it as as merely good), and the feedback from fans has been very good, as well.

If you're not among the many that enjoy CA, that's too bad; it's only my opinion (among many), but this is a really good album! And the songs sound simply awesome live.

A banner year for Rush, indeed! Hope there are more to come! :)

I believe there is a LOT of circumstantial bias elevating the album far and beyond its "deserved" accolades.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-k0lR85KaUPw/UInSs-AH3_I/AAAAAAAAA-A/-PAT4kvGlwA/s1600/stop-whining.jpg

• Like 1

I believe there is a LOT of circumstantial bias elevating the album far and beyond its "deserved" accolades.

In your opinion, what are its deserved accolades?

I agree that I cringe a little when it's described as "the best album since...", since I don't tend to rate things this way, but gosh, it's a darn good album! And it keeps growing on me.

Maybe it's a grower, not a show-er. ;)

For me, 1976 was the BEST year to be a Rush fan, simply, because that is when I first saw them in concert. And, I was blown away!

Hi Mika- The album is mediocre at best when you get past all the circumstantial hype surrounding the band. Rush could do disco covers with the Schmenge brothers playing behind Neil and u guys would still praise them.

I praise what my ears like. Simple as that. And my ears are probably not going to like what you've just described there.... Although some people might honestly like it, so whatevs. Everyone has different tastes - good thing there's so much flavour in the world (a little corny, mayhaps?).

My first listen to the album resulted in a teeny bit of disappointment, because there was a lot of hype and I really wanted it to be awesome. It was kind of... different. But the next listen improved my opinion, and the third listen made me say, "Say, this is pretty good! These songs are catchy and sound good!" I took my time, and over the months I've really come to like this album. I like the musical journey, culminating with 'The Garden' (which I still get shivers from). I've formed my own opinion, and respect that others are not going to have the same opinion as me. My Rush-loving brother and uncle hadn't gotten into CA as much as me, but I've just heard that they are getting into it more (again, it's a grower, not a show-er! ;)).

Your opinion of the album is your own, and is therefore neither wrong nor right, as long as it's right for you. I hope you've given the album a fair chance, and will respect those that show more love for it than you. I don't want to say something cliche like, "Hey, you're missing out!" because my opinion is moot to others' (though I want to say this to every person that refuses to touch Vapor Trails with even a ten-foot pole!), but I do think CA is worthy of at least some of the praise it has been given, and it warms my heart that this band that has been around, like, forever is continuing to create such good music.

And Merry Christmas Eve to everyone here!