Star Trek: Into Darkness

USB Connector

I think KenJennings nailed it. Unquestionably Khan was my reaction watching the trailer. That is *so* Khan in his just got off the Botany Bay glory. Returned to have my vengeance. And not just on Kirk, but on humanity for the Eugenics War (yes, I own the Okuda Chronolgy, so profound is my dorkiness). The trailer looks stunning (a little Michael Bay, but such is the modern aesthetic). There looks like there's even a nod to a "darker" side of the Star Fleet uniform from STM:II - a nice nod (time stamp 00:25).

Mitchell was/is a great idea and will have to wait for a future movie and I'm perfectly fine.

Khan, not Mitchell. Come on May 17!

The blonde woman is Lt. McGivers, presumably.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080316184459/startrek/images/thumb/2/27/Marla_McGivers.jpg/166px-Marla_McGivers.jpg

Edited by CygnusGal

Extended trailer shown overseas....

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/does-enterprise-sink-spock-die-star-trek-darkness-173527530.html

Right at the end, it teases us BIG TIME. Does the scene look familiar? :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Extended trailer shown overseas....

http://movies.yahoo....-173527530.html

Right at the end, it teases us BIG TIME. Does the scene look familiar? :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

This is what tells me it's NOT Khan. To my knowledge Abrams is not the type to give away that much info in a teaser.

Why does it seem to me that a lot of people WANT it to be Khan? And they seem determined to make it Khan even if it's not!

Wrath Of Khan was a great Star Trek film, and Khan was a GREAT villain. But the biggest reason, IMO, is that today's generation has been subjected to a zillion too many remakes, so people naturally expect a remake of Space Seed.

I really hope that the producers of the new Star Trek films DON'T buy into the same mindset. There are many, many good stories from the Star Trek universe. There is no need to double dip on the ones already done.

One of t

Why does it seem to me that a lot of people WANT it to be Khan? And they seem determined to make it Khan even if it's not!

Wrath Of Khan was a great Star Trek film, and Khan was a GREAT villain. But the biggest reason, IMO, is that today's generation has been subjected to a zillion too many remakes, so people naturally expect a remake of Space Seed.

I really hope that the producers of the new Star Trek films DON'T buy into the same mindset. There are many, many good stories from the Star Trek universe. There is no need to double dip on the ones already done.

One of the main reasons that Wrath of Khan was so good was because of Ricardo Montalban's portrayal of the character. There is no Ricardo Montalban type actor this time. This Cumberbatch might be a good actor but he would be all wrong for Khan.

One of the main reasons that Wrath of Khan was so good was because of Ricardo Montalban's portrayal of the character.

Montalban gave a masterful performance in Space Seed. With one evil smile, he showed just how intelligent, manipulative, and ruthless the character of Khan was. The scene in which Lt. McGivers gave herself to Khan, agreeing to do whatever he wanted, was chilling. Khan had that classic look of satisfaction, knowing that he had broken her.....

And then, 15 years later, he was naturally obsessed with breaking the man who had dared to defeat him. That's what megalomaniacs do, ya know.... :7up: :7up:

One of the main reasons that Wrath of Khan was so good was because of Ricardo Montalban's portrayal of the character.

Montalban gave a masterful performance in Space Seed. With one evil smile, he showed just how intelligent, manipulative, and ruthless the character of Khan was. The scene in which Lt. McGivers gave herself to Khan, agreeing to do whatever he wanted, was chilling. Khan had that classic look of satisfaction, knowing that he had broken her.....

And then, 15 years later, he was naturally obsessed with breaking the man who had dared to defeat him. That's what megalomaniacs do, ya know.... :7up: :7up:

Aye! :goodone:

• Like 1

Its not a question of me "wanting" it to be Khan. I am in the "I want Gary Mitchell" camp. Given the trailer though (the one Workaholic Man mentioned actually solidifies my thinking) OMG, that is so Khan.

Since Abrams is held to very little of the canon, he can wrap (and probably will wrap) many stories into a single movie. Remember he isn't a Trek fan; how better to confuse all of us old trekkies than to present the trailers he has so far. And look how he's has us debating it - exactly what he wanted, I'm sure.

Just the opinion of one trekkie.

Some dates for reference:

2233 - Kirk is born in space not Iowa. Presumably, all prior to this date align with the alternate timeline (Spock born in 2230, McCoy in 2227, Scotty 2222)

1996 - Eugenics War ends, Khan Noonien Singh is overthrown and 96 of his fellow genetic "supermen" escape Earth on the S.S. Botany Bay

1993 - eugenically bred "superhumans" seize control of 40 nations on Earth and entire populations are bombed out of existence. Earth is believed to be on the verge of a new Dark Age

<edit: added dates from the chronology)

Edited by CygnusGal

Since Abrams is held to very little of the canon, he can wrap (and probably will wrap) many stories into a single movie.

Or, he could take classic scenes from the original shows and films, even brief scenes, and weave them into the new films. They would be homages to those classic scenes. Take the glass separating Kirk's and Spock's hands; that could be something totally different in the new film, but it would still evoke our memories of Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan.

Its not a question of me "wanting" it to be Khan. I am in the "I want Gary Mitchell" camp. Given the trailer though (the one Workaholic Man mentioned actually solidifies my thinking) OMG, that is so Khan.

Since Abrams is held to very little of the canon, he can wrap (and probably will wrap) many stories into a single movie. Remember he isn't a Trek fan; how better to confuse all of us old trekkies than to present the trailers he has so far. And look how he's has us debating it - exactly what he wanted, I'm sure.

2233 - Kirk is born in space not Iowa. Presumably, all prior to this date align with the alternate timeline (Spock born in 2230, McCoy in 2227, Scotty 2222)

1996 - Eugenics War ends, Khan Noonien Singh is overthrown and 96 of his fellow genetic "supermen" escape Earth on the S.S. Botany Bay

1993 - eugenically bred "superhumans" seize control of 40 nations on Earth and entire populations are bombed out of existence. Earth is believed to be on the verge of a new Dark Age

I'm just going to defend the one disregard to canon Abrams made. My guess is the stress of the attack put Kirk's mother into labour. It's possible his tour of duty was about to end and he would go back to Iowa where Kirk would be born. I know it's more likely that Abrams just changed it for dramatic effect but I'm throwing a plausible explanation for the first change in the timeline.

Since Abrams is held to very little of the canon, he can wrap (and probably will wrap) many stories into a single movie.

Or, he could take classic scenes from the original shows and films, even brief scenes, and weave them into the new films. They would be homages to those classic scenes. Take the glass separating Kirk's and Spock's hands; that could be something totally different in the new film, but it would still evoke our memories of Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan.

Yes, I expect him to touch on little homages. Yes, the "hands on glass" scene may be an entirely different context. Good point, Workaholic Man.

I'm just going to defend the one disregard to canon Abrams made. My guess is the stress of the attack put Kirk's mother into labour. It's possible his tour of duty was about to end and he would go back to Iowa where Kirk would be born. I know it's more likely that Abrams just changed it for dramatic effect but I'm throwing a plausible explanation for the first change in the timeline.

True, we really don't know the depth of the difference in this timeline although we do know it is significantly different. I have no issue with diverging from canon in the movie since its intent is to establish new canon - re-tell the stories to a new generation and acknowledge but not adhere to canon. The entire original timeline is intact which, imo, made the movie such a success. I expect many overlaps with TOS.

Boldly go where no one has gone before.

So much talk of canon and what happened when...the reboot tossed all of that info out. Imho, that villain (whoever he is) is even more likely to be someone completely new...in fact, I'd wager that he is new BUT with some kind of tie to a classic villain just so that the hardcore fans can be satisfied in some way.

Some of the names mentioned in this thread and my thoughts on them:

Trelane...no way are they going to reboot some Liberace wuss for this.

The villain (whatever his name is) from the first Kirk episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before"...seems okay but where would you go with that?

Finnegan...What the hell for? A prick doesn't really count as a villain anyway. Besides, Kirk beat him in a fist fight in a relatively short time. So how would that work for 2+ hours?

Khan...sure, tons of people want him but I'm thinking they'll go forward and not use him (in that direct a role anyway). I wouldn't be against the Khan route but I don't think it'll happen.

So much talk of canon and what happened when...the reboot tossed all of that info out. Imho, that villain (whoever he is) is even more likely to be someone completely new...in fact, I'd wager that he is new BUT with some kind of tie to a classic villain just so that the hardcore fans can be satisfied in some way.

The villain (whatever his name is) from the first Kirk episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before"...seems okay but where would you go with that?

Finnegan...What the hell for? A prick doesn't really count as a villain anyway. Besides, Kirk beat him in a fist fight in a relatively short time. So how would that work for 2+ hours?

Khan...sure, tons of people want him but I'm thinking they'll go forward and not use him (in that direct a role anyway). I wouldn't be against the Khan route but I don't think it'll happen.

Who do you think it's gonna be then JB? David Soul could do it, he could play that blonde hippy bastard he played in one episode, let's get rid of this cumdumpster guy and get Hutch! :smoke:

Who do you think it's gonna be then JB? David Soul could do it, he could play that blonde hippy bastard he played in one episode, let's get rid of this cumdumpster guy and get Hutch! :smoke:

I already said: I think it'll be a new character with perhaps a tie to a classic villain like Khan.

I already said: I think it'll be a new character with perhaps a tie to a classic villain like Khan.

I think should be Johnny Blaze!! The future decedent of yours who combines kung fu expertise with demonic fireball skull theatrics. Not to mention insatiable eating and womanising. Obviously Uhura is in trouble! :joker: :smoke:

I think should be Johnny Blaze!! The future decedent of yours who combines kung fu expertise with demonic fireball skull theatrics. Not to mention insatiable eating and womanising. Obviously Uhura is in trouble! :joker: :smoke:

You mean she wasn't already? She already has to deal with gender equality for this new trek as opposed to the ease female officers got by with in TOS. No interracial kiss is going to save her career this time! :P

You mean she wasn't already? She already has to deal with gender equality for this new trek as opposed to the ease female officers got by with in TOS. No interracial kiss is going to save her career this time! :P

They made her wear the short skirts! That'll keep her career going! I don't think they had to twist her arm either! :cheerleader:

at the hobbit showing today IMAX showed an exclusive 10 minutes scene from the new Star Trek into Darkness - it was awesome, all i will say about it is From what i saw it is not Khan -

I do not understand the reason for showing a 9-10 minute teaser scene from an unreleased mega-film. Has this ever been done before? It goes way beyond teaser and straight to SPOILER.... :scared: :scared:

at the hobbit showing today IMAX showed an exclusive 10 minutes scene from the new Star Trek into Darkness - it was awesome, all i will say about it is From what i saw it is not Khan -

I do not understand the reason for showing a 9-10 minute teaser scene from an unreleased mega-film. Has this ever been done before? It goes way beyond teaser and straight to SPOILER.... :scared: :scared:

I believe The Dark Knight Rises did something to that effect. I remember watching a 10 minute teaser on youtube leaked from somewhere a long time before the first real trailer came out. That was when I realized the villain wasn't actually Bane. :(

Or the villain could be the evil side of me like that episode where Kirk is split in 2 (which Rushidentally is titled "The Enemy Within"). http://en.wikilib.com/images/b/ba/STEnemyWithin.jpgThen again, both sides of me are evil, lust-driven bastards. So imagine if there actually were 2 of me! Uhura and the entire mini-skirted crew wouldn't stand a chance

Or the villain could be the evil side of me like that episode where Kirk is split in 2 (which Rushidentally is titled "The Enemy Within"). http://en.wikilib.com/images/b/ba/STEnemyWithin.jpgThen again, both sides of me are evil, lust-driven bastards. So imagine if there actually were 2 of me! Uhura and the entire mini-skirted crew wouldn't stand a chance

:givebeer: Aye! :NP:

First official trailer: (BWAAAAH)

http://youtu.be/dbyvGNze2-k

Now I'm thinking they're just doing things to screw with people to thinking it's Khan. Watch that scene be played off in a much more light hearted/joking context in the first 30 minutes of the movie. I think that would be great. Also, what's with everyone jumping jumping/falling? I thought the alternate timeline already had Newton test for gravity. :P