LA (Gibson) tonight

MFF0RD8

looking forward to tonight's show at the gibson at universal city.

i have one of the worst seats in the entire building (up top, on far geddy side), so hopefully the sound is OK no matter where you are. i'd be down to upgrade if anyone has an extra ticket.

who else here is going?

I'll be there in the loge, section 18, row K. I will be breaking the t-shirt rule by wearing a black one from the R30 tour.

Too bad you couldn't get to the box office(it is closed today). I didn't get a ticket until Friday night and think several loge seats were still available. But personally, $164 bucks($158 face value plus a totally it-should-be-illegal $6 convenience fee(I wish they changed the wording, convenience for who exactly?) for those seats is not worth it for anyone but Rush. IMHO.

i need to see rush in an arena again, the LA shows recently have been in small-ish venues which is nice for proximity to the band but the prices are higher as a result. getting down to anaheim wasnt an option on saturday though.

Agree with your point MFFord8. I wish I knew why the band has latched on to this venue. They just don't seem to be a fit for a "cozy" atmosphere. Of course, prior to the TM tour, the previous four times I'd seen them were all outdoors and their sound and visual show are tailor made for the night air. This venue is great for me from a proximity/geographic standpoint but outside of that, I could take or leave the Gibson-Rush combination. Edited by jjgittes

Agree with your point MFFord8. I wish I knew why the band has latched on to this venue. They just don't seem to be a fit for a "cozy" atmosphere. Of course, prior to the TM tour, the previous four times I'd seen them were all outdoors and their sound and visual show are tailor made for the night air. This venue is great for me from a proximity/geographic standpoint but outside of that, I could take or leave the Gibson-Rush combination.

it a great place to see them but they are always too loud. they definitely sound better outdoors.

I'm surprised to hear anyone say the sound isn't good at the Gibson Theater. Normally, theaters are designed for live sound, whereas hockey arenas are designed for... hockey. I don't know why they don't play at The Staples Center. I'm sure they would pretty much pack the place, especially since LA is one big-ass city. They used to sell out two nights at the LA Forum.

Have fun tonight!! Lucky pricks... (and prickettes)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another great show last night.

I haven't been to this site since the tour started, fearful of stumbling across spoilers. I did guess that they'd open the first set with Subdivisions and close it with Far Cry, but other than that I was really surprised with that set. I didn't see the Power Windows tour, but it seemed like I was transported back to 1985 for a while there.

I like how they set up the string section. It provided a lot of energy for the second set. I thought Headlong Flight was the highlight of the entire night. Carnies was visually spectacular. Doing a couple songs out of sequence I thought worked well. My only nit with the CA material was that I thought The Garden was too loud and lost some of it's dynamics. (Overall, I thought the volume of the show was lower than the Time Machine Tour and sounded better.)

As for the rest of the second set, I really didn't need to hear Red Sector A again. I thought that was the only dud of the night. Manhattan Project was a pleasant surprise.

I liked Neil's solos. But why only three? I guess he's getting old. :D

Some people walked out in the middle of 2112, trying to beat the traffic I guess. I really don't get some people. These 59-60 old guys are up there kicking ass and you leave? Crazy. But thank you to the people right in front of me who sat down the entire show. They were the only ones around us that did that and it made by view better.

When I saw them last year I thought they were nearing the end of the road. Geddy's voice was better this time. It gave me hope for at least another couple of tours.

Edited by ZivotSon

Overall, I thought the volume of the show was lower than the Time Machine Tour and sounded better.

Agree 100%. It seemed like Geddy's lyrics were actually in sync with the shots of him on the big screens. I remember Time Machine tour where things sounded muffled and his lip movement was out of sync with the screens. A delay on the video perhaps but overall, much better sound this time out(though the ringing in my ears made it tough to sleep Mon. night).

As far as those leaving during the encore, I wonder if that is the effect of the setlist being known weeks before a show. "Back in the day," you might not know exactly what the last tune was and want to stick around. Now, you know exactly when things are wrapping up.

Edited by jjgittes

Sound : Advantage Gibson (Strings much clearer)

Setlist : Advantage Anaheim

Sightlines : Advantage Anaheim ("open" stage)

Voice : Advantage Gibson

2 Great nights, money well spent.

yes great show last night. sound was great. setlist was a nice change from past tours. Geddy sounded a little tired by the time they played Tom Sawyer, but overall did a great job. Seeing them again in Vegas but am bummed I wont be getting set B.

wow, i don't know where to start about the show last night. first off i never went to my actual (horrible) seat and ended up dead center back of the lower level without incident so that was fine. i did have to sit for a few songs because i was near the handicapped row but eventually found a standing spot to rock out. in fact for the encore i ended up 10th row center, i had never been that close to the guys in the 7 times i have seen them since '96. their stage design is positively incredible.

first set, there were more than a few tracks i had never heard before. i guess i am a casual rush fan after all because i am relatively unfamiliar with lots of the material from their older albums, but it was great to hear "new" tunes after mostly getting the same old at other recent shows aside from a rare song here or there. the instrumental "where's my thing" with drum solo stood out to me.

as for the second set, whoa! that's where the heart of the concert is and to open with 9 tracks from the new album really makes a statement. the movies and screens were interconnected in such a way that it made the presentation indelibly memorable. of note was the pyro/smoke/flames and circus atmosphere during "the carnies", the energy and musicianship of "headlong flight" and flat out beauty of "the garden". the strings definitely got into it and was pleased to find out it's Beck's dad, david campbell who was the conductor. that was a cool connection.

getting back to more familiar material, "the manhattan project' was lyrically and visually powerful and "red sector a" had a truly impressive light show. "yyz" killed and "spirit of the radio" is one of their most iconic songs as we all know.

"tom sawyer" encore was a little superfluous but i guess people always like to hear it. the 3 parts of "2112" took the show right over the top, as if it wasn't there already.

i'm definitely glad i went. it's a great tour for them and displayed a different side to the band especially with the live collaboration with string section. viva Rush!

Edited by MFF0RD8

Fantastic show last night! I was really impressed at how well the CA material translates live, in my opinion I was more energized for that than I was hearing the older material in the first set and even in the encores. The frist set was really neat, I loved hearing tunes I hadn't heard before live such as TBE, Big Money, Force Ten, and Analog Kid. Geddy sounded great and hit the higher notes, Alex was on fire for the solos, and Neil was like the mad scientist in back pounding along and providing us with some sweet grooves

Highligjts of the whole show for me included: Analog Kid, Where's My Thing, CA, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Seven Cities of Gold, The Garden, and Manhattan Project

The orchestra fit really well with the band, they added to the songs and really elevated the epicness that is Clockwork Angels!

On a side note, unfortunately for me I had a group of 6 people in the row in front of me texting, going in and out to get beers, and talking the whole entire time. It was like they did not even care about seeing the concert! Seriously if all you are going to do it go out for beers, be on facebook, and talking really loudly the entire show just stay home and save your seats for people who actually want to be at a Rush show. Only 2 guys at the far left of their group seemed into it, the four women just collectively didn't give two shits about Rush and while everyeone else in our section was standing they were sitting down while talking and going on Facebook.

It kind of hinders the experience when you constantly get distracted by a group like that, but hey all you can do is "Wish Them Well" right?

Edited by Analog_Bro

Or ignore them and focus on your own enjoyment! That is what I do and I do not even know what is going on around me. People are too caught up on what other people are or are not doing. Focus and enjoy!

Or ignore them and focus on your own enjoyment! That is what I do and I do not even know what is going on around me. People are too caught up on what other people are or are not doing. Focus and enjoy!

Definately you are right! All in all its too bad for them, they missed out on some cool moments on stage ;)

My four-year old son loves looking at videos on my iPhone. So I recorded 2112 from the gig for him. I played it for him last night. He's holding the phone and watching intently. About a minute after Temples starts he turns it off. I ask him "why did you turn it off?"

His response? "That guy singing is creeping me out."

Edited by ZivotSon