Tour/Ticket price question

liddybuck01

would you rather...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. would you rather...

• Yes! Ditch the bells and whistles for cheap seats and focus more on the music.
    • No! I enjoy the spectacle of a Rush concert and will pay anything to see it.
    • I couldn't care less. Either way is fine with me.

Sometimes I see photos of old ticket stubs and see how cheap seeing Rush used to be, and it's kind of frustrating. Obviously I know it's something called inflation, but what else causes us to have to pay at least $100 to see these guys, and upwards of $300+ to have really great seats?

I know they have a lot of crew. A lot of buses and trailers. Is it the private planes? Neil's bikes?

Well, when I think of this, all that pops into my head is this statement...

I would rather have no light show/videos/props/etc. and just have the guys playing music, if that means the ticket price would go down significantly.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. It seems as though I'm one of the poorer Rush fans out there. Honestly, idk how some of you do it. Afford to go to numerous show, and sit in the first few rows nonetheless! I work 40 hours a week but barely make enough to afford nosebleeds.

Do you agree??

Bands are taking advantage of the problem of ticket scalping! People have proven that they are willing to pay MAJOR $$$$ for tickets from scalpers... it's about time that the bands take advantage of the prices....

That said, I think places like Stub Hub should be abolished, and it should be illegal to sell an event ticket for more than it's worth!

Tickets are expensive, but I think the boys try to give you value by playing three hours, and with the whole production.

Funny i do have some old concert stubs from the 80s shows, and the GUP tour was twelve bucks!! 12 row center! trink39.gif

I know he is a lot older, but Neil Young only plays about 14 or 15 songs. What a ripoff!!! Rush(and other old folks like Springsteen) give good value for the money. I don't think I would want to see Rush indoors without the full production.

That said, I think there are great opportunities out there for Rush fans who don't have money to burn, but you have to wait until the show day itself and buy them in the parking lot.

So many people get stuck with extra tickets that they will sell them at a discount just to get something for them. Often times they are good seats. In my experience it is very hard to get people to go to a RUSH show. They're just not that popular outside of our little cult.

Edited by paul2112

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Oct 17 2012, 11:39 AM)
I enjoy a good show and will go without to pay the price.
heart.gif
2.gif

Absolutely! Rush without a good stage show is like Floyd without Flying Pigs.

Give me the stage show any time!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 17 2012, 09:31 AM)
Sometimes I see photos of old ticket stubs and see how cheap seeing Rush used to be, and it's kind of frustrating. Obviously I know it's something called inflation, but what else causes us to have to pay at least $100 to see these guys, and upwards of $300+ to have really great seats?

I know they have a lot of crew. A lot of buses and trailers. Is it the private planes? Neil's bikes?

Well, when I think of this, all that pops into my head is this statement...

I would rather have no light show/videos/props/etc. and just have the guys playing music, if that means the ticket price would go down significantly.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. It seems as though I'm one of the poorer Rush fans out there. Honestly, idk how some of you do it. Afford to go to numerous show, and sit in the first few rows nonetheless! I work 40 hours a week but barely make enough to afford nosebleeds.

Do you agree??

It's several things. Inflation is only a small factor. Touring is the lion's share of income for the band.

As far as fans attending multiple shows, Rush have a very diverse fan base. This diversity includes fans with many different careers.

Income, planning and sometimes luck all factor in.

Gone are the days of standing in line for tickets. The internet makes everything more efficient and a hell of a lot easier.

And it's market value. Rush are one of the longest running bands out there. They sell a lot of seats. Accordingly, they're really expensive. They charge what the market will bear.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Oct 17 2012, 10:29 AM)
Bands are taking advantage of the problem of ticket scalping! People have proven that they are willing to pay MAJOR $$$$ for tickets from scalpers... it's about time that the bands take advantage of the prices....

That said, I think places like Stub Hub should be abolished, and it should be illegal to sell an event ticket for more than it's worth!

Why should it be illegal to make a profit? There is no fraud or misrepresentation.

If you don't support brokers, buy directly online through authorized channels. If you can't get good seats, be patient and keep trying. All my purchases have been direct and successful, though they often will take several attempts.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Oct 17 2012, 10:29 AM)
Bands are taking advantage of the problem of ticket scalping!  People have proven that they are willing to pay MAJOR $$$$ for tickets from scalpers... it's about time that the bands take advantage of the prices....

How are bands taking advantage of scalpers??

Why should it be illegal to make a profit? There is no fraud or misrepresentation.

If you don't support brokers, buy directly online through authorized channels. If you can't get good seats, be patient and keep trying. All my purchases have been direct and successful, though they often will take several attempts.

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Oct 17 2012, 12:50 PM)
Tickets are expensive, but I think the boys try to give you value by playing three hours, and with the whole production.

Funny i do have some old concert stubs from the 80s shows, and the GUP tour was twelve bucks!! 12 row center! trink39.gif

I really wish that people would be more honest regarding the amount of playing time a RUSH show contains.

Start Time: 7:45

End time: 10:45

Intermission: 20 Minutes

Videos: 10 minutes

Not quite the lengthy 3 hours that many love to thnk that RUSH plays: Cut out the extra crap and get back to playing Rock and Roll!!!!!

2.gif

QUOTE (paul2112 @ Oct 17 2012, 01:44 PM)
I know he is a lot older, but Neil Young only plays about 14 or 15 songs. What a ripoff!!! Rush(and other old folks like Springsteen) give good value for the money. I don't think I would want to see Rush indoors without the full production.

That said, I think there are great opportunities out there for Rush fans who don't have money to burn, but you have to wait until the show day itself and buy them in the parking lot.

So many people get stuck with extra tickets that they will sell them at a discount just to get something for them. Often times they are good seats. In my experience it is very hard to get people to go to a RUSH show. They're just not that popular outside of our little cult.

I had to do this on the second leg of the S&A tour. I pulled 32nd row in the pre-sale and tried again during the general sale and pulled 14th row. I let the 32nd row go for $40 each. Lost my ass on them but, somebody was happy for main floor.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Oct 17 2012, 03:06 PM)
Rolling Stones are charging $2,000 a ticket for their upcomng tour of four concerts.

Big Fing deal. The Stones suck IMO... Never liked them,,,

QUOTE (balance @ Oct 17 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Oct 17 2012, 03:06 PM)
Rolling Stones are charging $2,000 a ticket for their upcomng tour of four concerts.

Big Fing deal. The Stones suck IMO... Never liked them,,,

The Stones? I like 'em enough to see ONE show of theirs to satisfy my curiosity, but at $2K for tix?? No way, not for them anyway! Front row 2.gif ??? Where do I sign up??

So what's the secret to getting front row for 2.gif anyway?? (Always see the same group of Rush Rats on the rail in the pics) Gotta be connected by the hip to a certain broker or what?? Please fill me in.....I wanna join the club!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif

EDIT: to correct spelling

Edited by rushfanforever!