Pittsburgh review

BriGuy

Forgive if it has already been posted, just came across it myself: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12257/1261259-388.stm

The rule of thumb for old bands arriving with new albums is basically: play three or four of those songs (we'll pretend we're interested) and then get back to the hits.

Kudos to Rush for riding into Consol Energy Center on Tuesday and boldly making the new "Clockwork Angels" its dazzling showpiece.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 17 2012, 10:20 PM)
Because casual Rush fans are few and far between, the Canadian prog-rock band first took the unorthodox approach of loading an opening set with deep cuts it hadn't played in years.

SEE??! THEY ARE DEEP CUTS! tongue.gif

Great review.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif trink39.gif

Because casual Rush fans are few and far between, the Canadian prog-rock band first took the unorthodox approach of loading an opening set with deep cuts it hadn't played in years.

SEE??! THEY ARE DEEP CUTS! tongue.gif

and man do they hurt! tongue.gif

that was good review and liked the comments about the first setlist and the themes. i had wondered that myself.

HOWEVER, the last thing i want to think about a near senior citizen is:

"Geddy Lee, who at 59 can still soar to the rafters and rock a pair of tight jeans and Converse sneakers"

maybe that is the reason he can still soar! 2.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2012, 08:32 AM)

SEE??! THEY ARE DEEP CUTS!  tongue.gif

and man do they hurt! tongue.gif

that was good review and liked the comments about the first setlist and the themes. i had wondered that myself.

HOWEVER, the last thing i want to think about a near senior citizen is:

"Geddy Lee, who at 59 can still soar to the rafters and rock a pair of tight jeans and Converse sneakers"

maybe that is the reason he can still soar! 2.gif

He has Gump tighten him up good on nights when he needs a little extra.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 17 2012, 10:17 PM)
Forgive if it has already been posted, just came across it myself: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12257/1261259-388.stm

The rule of thumb for old bands arriving with new albums is basically: play three or four of those songs (we'll pretend we're interested) and then get back to the hits.

Kudos to Rush for riding into Consol Energy Center on Tuesday and boldly making the new "Clockwork Angels" its dazzling showpiece.

Another Picksburger! bekloppt.gif

Consider the source on this review, he's a good writer, I actually look for his review every day in the paper, but for some reason almost every time I read his reviews they make me angry. He seems very concerned with Ged's wardrobe. I follow him on twitter and he made comments the night of the show and the next day about Ged's jeans and t-shirts..

He's usually favorable in his reviews of Rush shows, but it's almost grudgingly and backhanded. But, what do I know.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 18 2012, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 18 2012, 09:18 PM)
Another Picksburger!  bekloppt.gif

I was there, too!

bekloppt.gif

bekloppt.gif

Where were your seats? I was last row of the first section in the center. Seems like that seat was closer to the state at 20 rows than my 18th row seat in Manchester. I got some great pics of all three of them.

I happen to love the setlist and thought it was a great show. I didn't see that the crowd was dull, at least not where my seats were.

Will you be going to Cleveland? It's just down the road a bit, easy drive.

Consider the source on this review, he's a good writer, I actually look for his review every day in the paper, but for some reason almost every time I read his reviews they make me angry. He seems very concerned with Ged's wardrobe. I follow him on twitter and he made comments the night of the show and the next day about Ged's jeans and t-shirts..

He's usually favorable in his reviews of Rush shows, but it's almost grudgingly and backhanded. But, what do I know.

I totally disagree with you on this. I think this is an outstanding review. He touches on things that only someone who understands Rush could possibly write. I have to wonder, what do you want? Should his review read like a Coming Soon poster? I thought his comments about Ged's get up were great and I'm certain Geddy got a kick out of them as well.

I guess you have to remember just how BAD reviews could get back in the day to appreciate just how nice this is.

Good Reviews just keep coming in.....My show is in a little over a month....

tongue.gif The key that unlocks energy is desire. It's also the key to a long and interesting life. If we expect to create any drive, any real force within ourselves, we have to get excited

2.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Sep 19 2012, 08:17 PM)

I totally disagree with you on this. I think this is an outstanding review. He touches on things that only someone who understands Rush could possibly write. I have to wonder, what do you want? Should his review read like a Coming Soon poster? I thought his comments about Ged's get up were great and I'm certain Geddy got a kick out of them as well.

I guess you have to remember just how BAD reviews could get back in the day to appreciate just how nice this is.

Not saying it's a bad review, my opinion comes from reading his reviews, columns for years now.. He is really the only one writing reviews of rock, pop, etc shows in the Pittsburgh market (where I live)

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with his writing. He goes to, and reviews a lot of shows that I am at and most of the time we seem to be a totally different shows. Sometimes he tries to be too witty and too hip, like he's trying to hard.

Most of the time I read his piece and then proclaim him to be a tool.

But I still read his column in the paper every day... confused13.gif

I know how bad reviews have been in the past, but it's trendy right now to think Rush is cool, so take it for what it's worth.

Edited by MCM