Country Music

rushgoober

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like alot of the Country Rock fusion stuff that comes out of Oklahoma and Texas........I cannot stand the mainstream Nashville country

Bands I like

Cross Canadian Ragweed

Randy Rogers Band

Reckless Kelly

Mikey and the Motorcars

Robert Earl Keen

Todd Snider

artists like this, A mix of Folk, Americana, Rock, and Country... totally non-mainstream stuff, very good.

Unfortunately "Cross Canadian Ragweed" no longer exists as a band, as the Drummer Randy Ragsdale's son was diagnosed with Autism... and left the band to be with his kid..

Fortunately though frontman Cody Canada formed a new band called "The Departed" with the guitarist Seth James..... their first album is out in April... They have played a few shows already, and I saw them at their first ever live performance at Gruene Hall in New Braunsfels Tx... more Rock than Country (even more so than Ragweed) still very good.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 16 2011, 10:48 AM)
I like lots of alt-country (My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, stuff in that vein), but plain old country country still makes me hurl 062802puke_prv.gif

The real country music stands the test of time. The other sh** 062802puke_prv.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 19 2005, 05:12 PM)
Country is f*cking hard music to play...and now I respect guys like Kieth Urban because he is def. a wicked guitar player...and to mention...drumming in those sorts of songs ain't no piece of cake....thats F'n hard too.  As a musican this is how I respect country music.  It's great I love it.  smile.gif

Keith Urban was a rocker in Australia. When he decided to break in American is when he became Country. He thought he'd have better success beginning in Nashville rather than trying to make it in the Los Angeles music scene.

This is what I remember reading somewhere, anyhow.

And, true, Urban can kick some guitar playin' ass. My fav Urban song; he bends a few notes and shreds a bit on this one:

Here is the acoustic version. beautiful...

(and the music is good, too wink.gif )

Raining On Sunday

I'm not much into the modern day 'Pop-Country' (as I referred to the current Country music).

Even though I am, and always have been, a rocker at heart, I love the old Country Western music.

There were so many masterful musicians, singers and performers in the early days of American Country Western music. They toured endlessly and had such talent that comes through in the old unsophisticated recordings.

Patsy Cline had something so very special and a huge voice with a wide range. I always find this song (and other Cline songs) to be very moving on a basic emotional level.

I used to listen to a lot of country music when I was in 4th-7th grade (2003-2007), mainly whatever was on the radio. Not really deep stuff, but it was still fun to listen to when I wasn't listening to Rush. After 7th grade, I pretty much lost interest in country music. When I started listening to country radio again a year or so ago, I pretty much hated it, mainly because everything sounded like Taylor Swift... maybe because everything was Taylor Swift... laugh.gif (Sorry, I can't stand her voice. Glad she's a good girl and is actually a good role model for the girls, but I'm just not a fan of her music.)

Anyways, I listened to it occasionally a few months ago, and every so often they'd play something that was from my "golden age" of country, or something like Alabama or George Strait, but otherwise I couldn't - and can't - stand a lot of what's on country radio. (That, and the sole country station here never played anything by Big & Rich angry.gif )

I really don't understand someone hating country music. I guess some people are have predetermined notions and are not capable of learning. Of course the same could be said for clams. I hate 'em, wife loves 'em.

To me country music is the only genre that consentrates on the art of story telling. It delves into the good things in life and what's important and it generally has a positive outlook on life, which is something a lot of people could use more of.

When I listen to RATM (which I love) scream about how they're being oppressed and then I compare it to some Kenny Chesney's "The Good Stuff" and you hear about what's really important in life.

There's enough BS in life to bring to bring you down all the time. I want something uplifting somtimes. And country music can fill the bill.

Much like RUSH does yes.gif

My parents love country music, both old & new. I like some old stuff like Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, Merle Haggard, and Hank Williams, but I like newer country better. Keith Urban, Toby Keith, and Big & Rich aren't bad and I always hear them on the radio.

I can't say I'm a fan of country music, but I do like the stories the songs tell.

I will defend (or at the very least argue in favor of, even if i don't personally enjoy it) any other notoriously unpopular genre. dance-pop, ambient, rap, hip-hop, prog metal, nu-metal/alt-metal...but the only one i will never stand behind is country. (that and atonal modern classical, but that's only if you can really consider that stuff music). and i don't buy the "you haven't heard REAL country" argument, because the closer to real country it gets, the more horrible it gets, which is why folk, alt-country and some pop-country are the closest i'll ever come to "true" country (there's little enough of the country element in it that i can appreciate it for its other elements).