I Just DO NOT understand...

Thunder Bay Rush

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ Sep 17 2012, 01:04 PM)
They played moving pictures all in a row 7 songs...what two more songs?

Not the same.

For one thing, the audience going to the Time Machine Tour knew ahead of time they'd be hearing MP in its entirety.

For another thing, the Time Machine audience had 35 years to familiarize themselves with the MP songs. On the CA tour, casual concert-goers were unfamiliar with CA, and even if interested in hearing it, would've had only a few months to become familiar with it.

And, oh yeah, at least four of those seven MP songs have been FM radio staples since 1981. MP has had more exposure, and over a much greater period of time, than CA... therefore, again, more people are familiar with it.

Then, of course, there's the fact that EVERYONE loves MP. You and I may love CA, but you must admit it's more divisive than the universally-loved MP.

Edited by GeddyRulz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one is their most recent album which has sold well, but nowhere near the multiple millions that MP -- their most successful album -- has sold.

And the TM tour ADVERTISED that all these songs would be played in sequential order.

Die hards and casual fans love MP -- it is Rush's zenith and most popular and accliamed album and the main reason the TMT was such a money machine.

Apples and chalkboards, man.

GREAT points being made about playing so many CA tunes in a row. Add this to the mix, what radio station would be playing anything other than Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong Flight (if...I mean if even those songs)? I am guessing the majority of those going have no inkling about CA and its concept, let alone other songs than those noted.

If RUSH has indeed acknowledged that touring is the means to make money as musicians, their next tour should be a bit more "tune friendly." Not sure this tour is going to bolster album sales for them nor create a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings for those to come back and see them again..

I know that I will not sit through another RUSH set of 7 - 8 new songs back to back.

IMO, they should have sprinkled the CA singles throughout the set. It would have worked just fine.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:18 PM)
I see GeddyRulz beat me to the punch.

D'oh!

trink39.gif

But kudos on the "apples and chalkboards" line. I was going to say "apples and oranges," but your line is more accurate.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2012, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:18 PM)
I see GeddyRulz beat me to the punch.

D'oh!

trink39.gif

But kudos on the "apples and chalkboards" line. I was going to say "apples and oranges," but your line is more accurate.

Broken clock, blind squirrel...every now and again I get something right!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 17 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 17 2012, 09:42 AM)
Come on, are you new to the internet? This is a message board, complaining about complainers never works out too well.

If someone wants less CA and more older stuff, they should be able to express that without being called retards. You know how many people still go to Rush shows that havent bought a Rush album in decades? A LOT. When I went to the S&A tour almost NOONE around me knew any of the new songs and PNC in NJ was absolutely dead during the first part of that 2nd set when they played all those songs in a row.

This isnt really the 70s or 80s anymore where everyone at Rush shows was buying their albums and wanted to hear all the new stuff. Sure, complaining about Rush playing new material is pointless, but the fact is they do have a crap load of fans that dont buy their albums anymore, or dont love them anyway, so you just have to live with it. Complaining about it here and insulting them accomplishes nothing.

You're right, but I still feel a lot better now!!

tongue.gif

People can say what they want, but I'm just glad they're still playing anything...

Hell yes.

I just saw them Saturday night. Amazing show. There is only three hours to play...so you are not going to get something from every album.

I think Geddy has some problems singing a lot of the early stuff. Circumstances didn't sound right when that one was pulled from the archives a couple of tours ago.

I think the set list was awesome. The older stuff they played sounded great. The new stuff was even better, because it was fresh.

We should all feel fortunate that our favorite band can still play 3 hours of music at a high level at this point of their careers. Instead of bitching, we should just be glad that Rush isn't Aerosmith. wink.gif

Well said, OP.

Rush has 20 studio albums. By my count, not counting drum solos and such, they played 25 songs in the show I saw, including 9 of the 12 from CA.

So would you rather have just one song from each album?

They're never going to make everyone happy. They themselves seem to always say their first attempt at a set list comes out too long. I'm amazed we get a show as long as we do - three freakin' hours of great music.

Every song I heard was a winner to me.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Sep 17 2012, 01:22 PM)
GREAT points being made about playing so many CA tunes in a row. Add this to the mix, what radio station would be playing anything other than Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong Flight (if...I mean if even those songs)? I am guessing the majority of those going have no inkling about CA and its concept, let alone other songs than those noted.

If RUSH has indeed acknowledged that touring is the means to make money as musicians, their next tour should be a bit more "tune friendly." Not sure this tour is going to bolster album sales for them nor create a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings for those to come back and see them again..

I know that I will not sit through another RUSH set of 7 - 8 new songs back to back.

IMO, they should have sprinkled the CA singles throughout the set. It would have worked just fine.

2.gif

One would think they would have applied the lessons learned from the S&A tour -- namely, playing seven, eight or nine brand new songs in a row leads to the audience either taking extended merch and piss breaks or sitting on their hands.

People went nuts for Subdivisions, not because it's so beloved, but because it was the first song in the second set that 90 percent of the audience recognized.

I'll reserve judgment for this tour, but it did not work on S&A. In fact, it seemed counterproductive. If you want people to dig your new stuff, don't beat them over the head with the full chicken -- serve a wing or a leg here and people may want more. You get the whole chicken, you f***ing hate chicken by the time the meal is over.

Of course, this album is much stronger than S&A, IMO, so it could work out okay.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:58 PM)
That's all well and good, but a classic rock act playing nine songs in a row from a new album could stretch the audience's patience quite thin, especially an audience that is comprosed of 70-80 percent "classic rock" fans as opposed to die-hard Rush fans.

That is all.

It's a tour supporting their new album. Anyone expecting to hear nothing but music from 2112, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures are not being very rational.

I for one was ecstatic to hear so much new material. I've heard Dreamline, Workingman, and Limelight a dozen times live. I had never heard anything from Clockwork Angels before Saturday night! 1022.gif

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 17 2012, 01:30 PM)
Well said, OP.

Rush has 20 studio albums. By my count, not counting drum solos and such, they played 25 songs in the show I saw, including 9 of the 12 from CA.

So would you rather have just one song from each album?

They're never going to make everyone happy. They themselves seem to always say their first attempt at a set list comes out too long. I'm amazed we get a show as long as we do - three freakin' hours of great music.

Every song I heard was a winner to me.

1022.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2012, 01:14 PM)

Not the same.

For one thing, the audience going to the Time Machine Tour knew ahead of time they'd be hearing MP in its entirety.

For another thing, the Time Machine audience had 35 years to familiarize themselves with the MP songs. On the CA tour, casual concert-goers were unfamiliar with CA, and even if interested in hearing it, would've had only a few months to become familiar with it.

And, oh yeah, at least four of those seven MP songs have been FM radio staples since 1981. MP has had more exposure, and over a much greater period of time, than CA... therefore, again, more people are familiar with it.

Then, of course, there's the fact that EVERYONE loves MP. You and I may love CA, but you must admit it's more divisive than the universally-loved MP.

But it's called the "Clockwork Angels" tour. If people don't know what they're in for going in, well, not much you can do about that.

If they didn't play a bunch of the new music, people should be surprised.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 17 2012, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:58 PM)
That's all well and good, but  a classic rock act playing nine songs in a row from a new album could stretch the audience's patience quite thin, especially an audience that is comprosed of 70-80 percent "classic rock" fans as opposed to die-hard Rush fans.

That is all.

It's a tour supporting their new album. Anyone expecting to hear nothing but music from 2112, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures are not being very rational.

I for one was ecstatic to hear so much new material. I've heard Dreamline, Workingman, and Limelight a dozen times live. I had never heard anything from Clockwork Angels before Saturday night! 1022.gif

See, that's the thing: no one -- NO ONE -- is shocked that they are playing new material, nor are they bitching about the amount of songs.

It's about their place in the setlist.

There isn't anyone "expecting to hear nothing but music from 2112, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures."

But it's a nice strawman to destroy. Kudos.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 17 2012, 01:33 PM)

Not the same.

But it's called the "Clockwork Angels" tour. If people don't know what they're in for going in, well, not much you can do about that.

Once again, no one is complaining about new material -- it's about its placement in the set.

Man there are strawmen falling like the Confederates at Antietam around here.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 17 2012, 01:33 PM)

Not the same.

Once again, no one is complaining about new material -- it's about its placement in the set.

Man there are strawmen falling like the Confederates at Antietam around here.

What's the problem with where it was placed in the set? They needed to put it all together for the string section.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:31 PM)
One would think they would have applied the lessons learned from the S&A tour -- namely, playing seven, eight or nine brand new songs in a row leads to the audience either taking extended merch and piss breaks or sitting on their hands.

The thing is--this album is a giant compared to S & A...this is a HEAVILY anticpated event...we want to hear THESE songs live. No one has a problem listening to CA all in a row, hell...most of the people on the forum would prefer to hear the ENTIRE album--its that awesome. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:31 PM)

The thing is--this album is a giant compared to S & A...this is a HEAVILY anticpated event...we want to hear THESE songs live. No one has a problem listening to CA all in a row, hell...most of the people on the forum would prefer to hear the ENTIRE album--its that awesome. smile.gif

And to make your point, you cut out the part of my post that specifically noted that:

Of course, this album is much stronger than S&A, IMO, so it could work out okay.

Thanks.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 17 2012, 01:40 PM)
What's the problem with where it was placed in the set?  They needed to put it all together for the string section.

Because the strings are only available for the second set?

Do they arrive at the arena at intermission?

I guess they wanted to be polite to those musicians, and put all of the songs for string instruments together.

What ever...I thought the show was absolutely brilliant, and considering that they are the age they are...I'm just thankful that they are still touring and playing at such a high level. You want to bitch and moan about what songs they play and when they play them...go ahead and waste your energy.

I saw Pocupine Tree play The Incident in it's entirety and that was their 10th record! Not all the fans had the record but everybody was glued watching and listening to every note being played because it's their favorite band performing their art live. I still dont get how you can see your favorite artist live performing their craft in person and have so much hate for it.

The only reasonable explanation i have is simply age. When you are young you are more open to change and you want to discover and explore. I guess as people grow older they think they know it all and dont want to listen to new ideas...I'm 30 and I hope that when im 50 years old like these fans i dont become as narrow minded and shallow as the people that complain about the setlist and still will be able to appreciate all kinds of new art.

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 17 2012, 02:11 PM)
the pathetic whiners of the setlist are loud on the internet, but completely drowned out but the roaring cheer of the actual audience at the show.

The Chicago show is one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

The whiners are few and far between...fans overwhelmingly support this setlist. Clockwork Angels is a treat, a real monster of an album 2.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 17 2012, 02:11 PM)
the pathetic whiners of the setlist are loud on the internet, but completely drowned out but the roaring cheer of the actual audience at the show.

The Chicago show is one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

The whiners are few and far between...fans overwhelmingly support this setlist. Clockwork Angels is a treat, a real monster of an album 2.gif

Yep.

The crowd in Chicago were completely in from start to finish. I didn't hear or notice a single complaint about the new material and would have laughed at anyone who did.

It was a spectacular concert.