My two pence on the setlist

LedRush

I just got back from overseas where I had little internet access and even less a desire/time to be on the internet. When I first saw the setlist, I thought, "Wow, they are playing a lot of rarities!" Only when I went over it a couple of times did I realize that we were basically just gettting the Synth period and the new album plus crumbs. And even though the synth period is my least favorite period, I'm still extremely excited for the show. More than anything, I wanted rarely played live songs, and I got them aplenty.

Now, I can understand why casual fans would be disappointed - they're only getting about 4 songs that they know (5 for nights when Dreamline is played). But for the hardcore, this setlist is amazing. We're getting a lot of rarely played songs, plus most of the new album. If you don't like the synth period at all, and you don't like the new album, IMHO, you are at best a casual fan. If you like either, you should have a ton to be happy at this show. If you like both, this is like winning the lottery.

This doesn't mean that there aren't tweaks I'd love to make (Territories and Red Sector A every night?!? - Switching off Bravado and the Pass and Manhatten Project and Dreamline?!?), but any real fan should be happy with this setlist.

Of course, Rush may have an issue selling tickets on the next tour as the casuals may be disgruntled. For example, I convince a group of friend to go to a Rush show with me each tour. This time, I think I'll only be able to convince 2 because of the setlist. If I did convince the others, I highly doubt they'd come back again. They want songs that are on the radio, and we simply don't have many of those this time. For me, that's great. For casuals, that sucks.

Per my other thread, I'm praying for all the songs to get an official release. We're getting new versions and rarities, so it would suck if I didn't get Manhattan Project or The Body Electric or only either Bravado or the Pass. So many rarities...how can hardcore fans be really disappointed to the extent people here are whining?

One has to wonder if Geddy needs, for some reason, less time on the bass guitar. Maybe his aggressive playing style is catching up to him, and having more time on the keyboards will help him stay fresh thru the tour. And the song choices too may benefit his vocal ability over the long tour (with the relatively short winter break). At their age, they have to consider such things. Neil's three short solos as opposed to "the epic" solo he always delivers might be geared toward self-preservation (and sold under the guise of "doing things a bit differently"). And those are my two pence!

QUOTE (O'Malley's Beat @ Sep 12 2012, 02:33 PM)
One has to wonder if Geddy needs, for some reason, less time on the bass guitar. Maybe his aggressive playing style is catching up to him, and having more time on the keyboards will help him stay fresh thru the tour. And the song choices too may benefit his vocal ability over the long tour (with the relatively short winter break). At their age, they have to consider such things. Neil's three short solos as opposed to "the epic" solo he always delivers might be geared toward self-preservation (and sold under the guise of "doing things a bit differently"). And those are my two pence!

No doubt there are reasons beyond our comprehension. I'm sure age has a lot do with song selection. Also noticed there is at least a day of rest in between each of the tour dates, mainly for Geddy's voice I'm sure. They've always played many back-to-back dates in the past.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 12 2012, 01:55 PM)
I just got back from overseas where I had little internet access and even less a desire/time to be on the internet. When I first saw the setlist, I thought, "Wow, they are playing a lot of rarities!" Only when I went over it a couple of times did I realize that we were basically just gettting the Synth period and the new album plus crumbs. And even though the synth period is my least favorite period, I'm still extremely excited for the show. More than anything, I wanted rarely played live songs, and I got them aplenty.

Now, I can understand why casual fans would be disappointed - they're only getting about 4 songs that they know (5 for nights when Dreamline is played). But for the hardcore, this setlist is amazing. We're getting a lot of rarely played songs, plus most of the new album. If you don't like the synth period at all, and you don't like the new album, IMHO, you are at best a casual fan. If you like either, you should have a ton to be happy at this show. If you like both, this is like winning the lottery.

This doesn't mean that there aren't tweaks I'd love to make (Territories and Red Sector A every night?!? - Switching off Bravado and the Pass and Manhatten Project and Dreamline?!?), but any real fan should be happy with this setlist.

Of course, Rush may have an issue selling tickets on the next tour as the casuals may be disgruntled. For example, I convince a group of friend to go to a Rush show with me each tour. This time, I think I'll only be able to convince 2 because of the setlist. If I did convince the others, I highly doubt they'd come back again. They want songs that are on the radio, and we simply don't have many of those this time. For me, that's great. For casuals, that sucks.

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Even though it is my least favorite Rush era, I am surprisingly stoked to be seeing these songs live! And it is cool that the boys are supporting the dedicated fans of this period. Maybe it is time for me to finally "get it"? Well, wont go that far, but it will be cool to hear them in any case. wink.gif !!

I was introduced to RUSH during Signals, so yes this is a great Tour for anyone like me that was brought up with RUSH through the 80's. Now that said, This Set list for anyone outside that 80's period must lack considerably to the point that you might not even hear TSOR during this tour. Thats a travesty. I felt RUSH was doing the right thing when they were always including the following:

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

Freewill

2112 Overture/Temples

As things are now, the casual fan will only be guaranteed only 3 of the above songs per show. However, all is not lost. This setlist could be easily corrected. All that needs to be done is to drop Working Man and move 2112 Overture/Temples/Finale into its place and add Limelight to the encore and Freewill to the first set prior to Far Cry.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

goodpost.gif

I agree, good point! I'm one of those who like the fact have a fresh set list! And I love the Synth Period and like CA!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Time Traveler @ Sep 12 2012, 06:27 PM)

goodpost.gif

I agree, good point! I'm one of those who like the fact have a fresh set list! And I love the Synth Period and like CA!

biggrin.gif

I'm of a positive mind about the setlist, too. The 70's rarities that we'd love to see are too much of a strain for Ged to do night after night, so the synth period was the only realistic way to throw dedicated fans a bone. And most fans seem pleased.

I've seen the classics enough times, and was planning on giving this tour a pass. I'll go now. But the detractors are correct that this tour is unlikely to bring too many new fans into the fold. Time Machine Tour did that.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 06:16 PM)
I was introduced to RUSH during Signals, so yes this is a great Tour for anyone like me that was brought up with RUSH through the 80's. Now that said, This Set list for anyone outside that 80's period must lack considerably to the point that you might not even hear TSOR during this tour. Thats a travesty. I felt RUSH was doing the right thing when they were always including the following:

The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
YYZ
Limelight
Freewill
2112 Overture/Temples

As things are now, the casual fan will only be guaranteed only 3 of the above songs per show. However, all is not lost. This setlist could be easily corrected. All that needs to be done is to drop Working Man and move 2112 Overture/Temples/Finale into its place and add Limelight to the encore and Freewill to the first set prior to Far Cry.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Working Man is among Rush's most popular songs, both on the radio now and historically. While I personally would love to see it removed, doing so does nothing for the casual fan. Removing Territories and/or Red Sector A, on the other hand, is unlikely to annoy anybody, and would free up space for two more hits. Of course, I'd rather they use that time to play to rare tracks from the first 7 albums, which would also do nothing for the casual fan.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 12 2012, 01:55 PM)
....But for the hardcore, this setlist is amazing.

Erroneous statement

Yeah, you will not find a more hardcore Rush fan than GeminiRising79. He likes everything that Rush has done and yet quite surprisingly and uncharacteristically he has a problem with the setlist. wink.gif

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (worthog @ Sep 12 2012, 09:15 PM)
I honestly think the synth songs sound awesome live, the recorded versions may make you go "why?!" But hearing there synth stuff live is cool and almost gives a more complete sound

And I like the guitar sound on the old synth stuff. It's a more muscular sound that I appreciate. The 80s songs are often good at the core, and my biggest gripe was that they sounded thin to me. Something that was remedied with Counterparts, no matter what you say about the quality of those songs (I've made my position on that album quite clear.)

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Sep 13 2012, 01:33 PM)
I will enjoy no matter the set list......  2.gif

I second that! trink39.gif ChickenHawk!

2.gif 1022.gif