The Garden Trance

ShlappinDahBass

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Sep 19 2012, 04:11 AM)
I never had a problem with the extended outro as the song/ending is epic so it should go on for an extended period of time.  I'm so glad I will be able to experience this live in its glory.

Live would be amazing, the extended outro is the best part. I thought it was way overwrought too for the first few listens...completely different story now. Damn.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 08:59 AM)
I just can not (emotionally) get over this song. It has got to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. These guys truly created a masterpiece that I hope they play live...NEXT SATURDAY smile.gif

Is anyone else still in "The Garden Trance"?

yes.gif

QUOTE (bravado @ Sep 9 2012, 11:00 AM)
The day the CA album came out Iand when I first heard The Garden, I cried my eyes out....That song just did me in...The same happens in Bravado sometimes....

To me The Gardne just reflect my life of getting older ...I have a huge Garden in my back yard that I tend to and nurture as much as I can...I have measured my life thru love and respect before and it is so hard to earn and its easily burned. The hours continue to tick away and the cells too....The Watchmaker (God to me anyhow) still has time up his sleeve for me....My future every day disappears into memory with moments (days) between....to my its just about growing up aging you know It is what it is and forever...its just a very very very well put together piece of song that touches me and others too so it seems

Tears has done the same in past years not in a long time...

The Pass has gotten to me before as well.....Growing up into becoming an adult "Nothings what I tought it would be"

anyhow...Yes The Garden does get me in a Trance too

see you guys in Indy?

Let me know whos going

fists crying.gif

I'm with you bro

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 6 2012, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Sep 5 2012, 03:35 PM)
All of the nonstop praise for The Garden during the album pre-release leak period really did it in for me... I had such high expectations based on everyone worshiping this song, it fell flat on its face when I heard it.  But aside from that, I still don't think it would've ranked very high for me.

I think Available Light is a much more emotional song, but to each their own  smile.gif

Tears, The Pass, Available Light, and The Garden are probably my favorite songs emotionally. Good choice for Available Light! smile.gif

Aye, some great emo there...Afterimage is an amazing track to add to that bunch as well yes.gif

I gotta say - The Garden could easily be one of the top 3 - 4 Rush songs ever... when I first heard it I thought, WOW! And, it`s so different. I just love it! Favourite song on CA, by far.

QUOTE (drumstruck @ Sep 18 2012, 08:42 AM)
I was not too impressed by The Garden at first. Liked the ending, but it was a bit... overwrought.
Then I saw it played live at the Chicago show. Wow! "The Garden Trance" is a perfect description. It clicked, like many Rush songs that need to grow on you. The awesome visuals probably didn't hurt either.

If you are not yet a fan of the song and haven't experienced it at a show yet, don't lose hope. You still may end up loving it.

My dad and I went to the Chicago show, too! Fantastic show. The Garden, Manhattan Project, Red Sector A, and Headlong Flight was probably our highlights of that show.

I have been listening to Rush since 1987, and for many years 2112 was the benchmark album for me, but loved them all. This album just blows me away - I have become used to other bands I like that have been around for a long time releasing "just good enough" albums, sometimes even moving into the disappointing range. I felt a bit that way about Caravan in 2010, and I first listened to CA not really expecting anything particularly memorable.

Most Rush albums take some time to grow on me, but this one just astonished me from the moment I heard it, and it keeps getting better the more I listen to it (which is too often). But THE GARDEN is the killer track. When I am in the car I find myself often pushing the back button as the album finishes, just to hear that track once more. I even think (not in a morbid way) that it's probably a song I'd want played at my funeral or wake or whatever.

So yeah, I know what you mean about "The Garden Trance", I've got it bad! Also rate Available Light up there with it as one of their best songs ever, but Presto as an album was not as strong as Clockwork Angels. I just hope this is NOT their Magnum Opus, and there's something better still to come!

BTW Rush, come and tour Australia!!!!!

QUOTE (gorinosho @ Sep 20 2012, 08:34 AM)
I have been listening to Rush since 1987, and for many years 2112 was the benchmark album for me, but loved them all. This album just blows me away - I have become used to other bands I like that have been around for a long time releasing "just good enough" albums, sometimes even moving into the disappointing range. I felt a bit that way about Caravan in 2010, and I first listened to CA not really expecting anything particularly memorable.

Most Rush albums take some time to grow on me, but this one just astonished me from the moment I heard it, and it keeps getting better the more I listen to it (which is too often). But THE GARDEN is the killer track. When I am in the car I find myself often pushing the back button as the album finishes, just to hear that track once more. I even think (not in a morbid way) that it's probably a song I'd want played at my funeral or wake or whatever.

So yeah, I know what you mean about "The Garden Trance", I've got it bad! Also rate Available Light up there with it as one of their best songs ever, but Presto as an album was not as strong as Clockwork Angels. I just hope this is NOT their Magnum Opus, and there's something better still to come!

There have been many references to the wake thing re: The Garden. Tributes to individuals are showing up on You Tube with that music being in the background.

Never has a song hit me on the first listen as The Garden. It was justified and continues to this day.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 5 2012, 09:11 AM)
I never was in the trance and never will be. Yes, it's a good song but not even close to one of the best ever by Rush or in the entire history of music.

This.

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Sep 20 2012, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (gorinosho @ Sep 20 2012, 08:34 AM)

Most Rush albums take some time to grow on me, but this one just astonished me from the moment I heard it, and it keeps getting better the more I listen to it (which is too often).  But THE GARDEN is the killer track. When I am in the car I find myself often pushing the back button as the album finishes, just to hear that track once more.  I even think (not in a morbid way) that it's probably a song I'd want played at my funeral or wake or whatever.

There have been many references to the wake thing re: The Garden. Tributes to individuals are showing up on You Tube with that music being in the background.

Never has a song hit me on the first listen as The Garden. It was justified and continues to this day.

Pretty cool. Glad it's touching so many people emotionally. smile.gif

I have been known to get a bit fixated on particular albums at various points in my life, but this one has me thinking I might need counselling for music addiction. Every song is awesome but The Garden is the one song I keep playing (and re-playing) in the car.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to BE these guys, to have got towards the very end of an indisputably monumental career, and to pop out a big one like this. It's like if Secretariat sired a horse better than himself in his very last act at stud. It just isn't plausible, but here it is, something almost as unexpected.

The first time I heard this song I was driving to work and I had to pull over and listen to the whole song twice. It hooked me instantly and continues to get better. Who knew a band that's been around for almost 40 years and 20 albums could still produce such masterpieces.