Talk Talk /// Mark Hollis

Soni

A few months ago, a friend came up to me and said I should check out two records Talk Talk had made in the late 80's early 90's. He said they were really good. At first I thought it was a joke, I mean, I considered them to do some sh*ty new wave band.

But when I heard these two albums, I was blown away.

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.

They could very well be a double album, they're that similar, but are they good!

The meeting point between, jazz, ambiant, post rock, and sometimes classical music.

If you haven't heard them, you should check 'em out. Same for Mark Hollis' solo album, the fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/533007_4511911762940_144346627_n.jpg

I remember the tune "It's My Life" from 1984 from the album of the same name. That song holds some great memories for me. Too bad that shitty band No Doubt had to cover it. Horrid remake.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2012, 02:11 AM)
I remember the tune "It's My Life" from 1984 from the album of the same name. That song holds some great memories for me. Too bad that shitty band No Doubt had to cover it. Horrid remake.

Check this out. yes.gif

I remember seeing them on MTV back in the day when they used to put the name of the band, over the song, over the album, over record label at the beginning and end of each video and it read.

Talk Talk

Talk Talk

Talk Talk

Record Label (whatever it was).

But the two songs I do of them It's My Life , and Talk talk were good.

QUOTE (Soni @ Sep 2 2012, 12:08 PM)
A few months ago, a friend came up to me and said I should check out two records Talk Talk had made in the late 80's early 90's. He said they were really good. At first I thought it was a joke, I mean, I considered them to do some sh*ty new wave band.
But when I heard these two albums, I was blown away.
Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.
They could very well be a double album, they're that similar, but are they good!
The meeting point between, jazz, ambiant, post rock, and sometimes classical music.
If you haven't heard them, you should check 'em out. Same for Mark Hollis' solo album, the fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

I only have the comp with the dvd. They're a great 80s band and I need to check out more eventually. Thanks for the reminder Soni trink39.gif

QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ Sep 4 2012, 06:14 AM)
I have The Colour Of Spring great album.

I respect them for not keeping the same formula, I heard every album is more experimental than the previous, correct me if Im wrong.

It's true, this formula, reached its apex with the brilliant Laughing Stock.

There is a live dvd available recorded at the Montreux festival which shows this band at their peak. Well worth checking out. Mark Hollis seems to have withdrawn completely from the music business which is a shame...the guy was a genius.

Talk Talk influenced a lot of late 90s / early 00s alternative bands including Elbow in the UK

Recently picked up Mark Hollis' one and only solo album released after the last Talk Talk album.

It is as good as the the last three Talk Talk albums IMO.

A genius missed.

Talk Talk influenced a lot of late 90s / early 00s alternative bands including Elbow in the UK

Recently picked up Mark Hollis' one and only solo album released after the last Talk Talk album.

It is as good as the the last three Talk Talk albums IMO.

A genius missed.

I'll look out for it, thanks IKIGB.