Geddy's Singing on Tour

LedRush

I was very glad to read that they will not play on consecutive nights during the CA tour, mainly to reduce the strain on Geddy's voice.

His voice on opening night should be great, regardless. So jacked and pumped for that.

icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 01:31 PM)
On the Time Machine Tour, I was disappointed with Geddy's vocals.  I understand that he's older and can't hit many notes anymore, and that doesn't bother me.  My issue is that he seems to sing in a false, mid scream for many of the songs.  That makes sense when he can't hit the notes and/or the song calls for a scream that he can't do anymore.

But in the last tour, even on songs like Presto, Camera Eye and Time Stand Still, he resorted to that fake scream.  I wish he'd trust his voice more and give a more nuance, and softer delivery.  I was very excited to hear those songs live, but I can't really listen to the CD as he's hurt the vocals so badly.  I know that he had an off-night, and his voice was better during the tour, but I think the songs would be better, and his voice would last longer, if he trusted his voice more and gave teh songs the delivery they deserve.

I understand what you're saying. It does seem to me like he could possibly sing those songs you mentioned in a more relaxed manner - the studio versions aren't exactly sung in a high pitched style at all. Then again he has been singing professionally for 40 years so I assume he knows what he's doing.

Anyway, he still sounds fantastic on Clockwork Angels.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Aug 16 2012, 06:41 PM)
Here's my review of vocals on Time Machine.  I thought his voice sucked on Time Stand Still, Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Closer to the Heart, and Working Man.  Other than that, I thought his voice was average.  However, I will point out that it was awesome on Red Barchetta and Camera Eye.

If you liked his voice on Camera Eye, you must like the strained, mid-range scream that drives me nuts. That song doesn't need that, and it mars an otherwise great performance.

I think in the studio version of Camera Eye, he's kinda singing like he has a stick up his ass (no emotion). The Time Machine version vocals just sound more emotional and fired up I should say.

Had a rare evening free tonight, so decided to watch the TM dvd for the second time ever... it's better than I remember! smile.gif Geddy's singing isn't that bad - a little strained at times, a bit of the shouty-thing going on, but all things considered, enjoyable. Can't wait to hear him kick ass singing-wise (and bass-wise, of course!) with the CA songs on the new tour...! GeddyFinal.gif

Geddy's voice taken out of context and isolated in the TM album (MP only) is a bit strained. Not being there in Cleveland I can't say what the band actually sounded like from the seats, but I was at the previous show in Toledo and the one after in Detroit, he sounded fantastic within the concert halls. I am super pumped about the upcoming tour. 2.gif

QUOTE (LedRush)
The crazy thing is, the songs that I mention all work great in the lower register, and are not even the high-pitched ones of the past. I just think he sometimes tries to put too much into the live voice, and his voice strains as a result.

I saw every show in Philly, NJ and NYC. My issue isn't that his voice is bad. My issue is the way he is choosing to sing some of his songs makes his voice not as good as it could be. If he sang more naturally, and perhaps softer, on Presto, The Camera Eye, and Time Stand Still, the songs would have been greatly improved. 

I understand what you're saying here, LedRush and I sort of agree with you, but at the same time, I kind of don't because I love the emotion in Geddy's singing style. I'm not sure that he would be able to bring out his vocals from the same place in his soul and his spirit if he was trying to sing in a smoother and more mellifluous voice.

2 years ago on the Time Machine tour I caught the show in Sept, I thought Geddy sounded great. He was full of energy and pep, he nailed the notes and the timing. biggrin.gif

When the tour DVD was released I thought Geddy sounded horrible in Cleveland. He sounded strained, winded and out of time on a few songs sad.gif

The Tampa Tm show his voice was really good, best ive heard him sing in years quite frankly. That particular show was off the charts good for some reason!? The Florida soup perhaps???

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Aug 17 2012, 08:28 AM)
The Tampa Tm show his voice was really good, best ive heard him sing in years quite frankly. That particular show was off the charts good for some reason!? The Florida soup perhaps???

Yeah, I saw both the Tampa and West Palm Show duirng TMT. His voice was much, much better at the Tampa Show. He already sound a bit tired at West Palm the day after. Good thing he's taking a day off between shows this time around.

smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 17 2012, 02:30 PM)

Yeah, I saw both the Tampa and West Palm Show duirng TMT. His voice was much, much better at the Tampa Show. He already sound a bit tired at West Palm the day after. Good thing he's taking a day off between shows this time around.

smile.gif

when I saw them last, I tell you Geddy sounded rested and very energetic. I thought everything they did 1985 to present sounded so wonderful. I expect the same this time around

1022.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 17 2012, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 17 2012, 02:30 PM)

smile.gif

when I saw them last, I tell you Geddy sounded rested and very energetic. I thought everything they did 1985 to present sounded so wonderful. I expect the same this time around

1022.gif

trink39.gif

I saw them four times during TTMT.

Tampa (Great vocals)

West Palm (Tired vocals)

Ft. lauderdale (Great Vocals)

Las Vegas ( Incredibly, Awesome vocals) One of the best shows I've ever seen by RUSH!

So I guess 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif