U.S. Open

war2112

Being a hacker, I have to admit I sometimes do get a thrill out of watching the world's best golfers get humbled on one of the world's most demanding lay-outs. Unfortunately, I was not able to catch any action today so I don't know if it was dry and fast as predicted.

Of course, I would not even step foot on the most forward tees here (do they have ones for seriously impaired hackers?), but it's kind of fun sometimes to see these guys reduced to some level closer to mine even if it is on a course that I would avoid like the plague. I feel far less stupid when I try to conquer the local muni track.

I have to say that the rough is actually in their favor in this regard, though. 3"-4", hah! Try playing out of rough that is 6" or more and pockmarked greens at some of the stuff I play on. Hey, maybe these guys aren't so good after all! laugh.gif

Kidding, of course.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/TheLastPhotoIEverTook_4.jpg

Well, it has indeed become ugly, just not in the way I meant.

Tiger Woods is showing his ass yet again. He stamped his putter down on the 9th green and then drug it behing him, damaging the green. Outrageous, even for his sallow self. Way to go Tiger - what a great way to show respect for the players that have to play that green after you've earmarked it as "Tiger's latest fit". He wasn't penalized by the USGA because they termed it a "one-time occurence". Well, it's not actually. He has a history of slamming his clubs into the turf on the fairway and I saw one instance this year where he came within inches of actually burying the head of his putter IN the green. What an ass.

Not only that, but he let fly with one of his all too common obscenities as he was leaving the 18th. Loudly, I might add. This guy has no couth.

One could only hope that he becomes isolated in the clubhouse for his childish behavior. I'm still waiting for Johnny Miller to really tear into his ass.

I think the players give Tiger a lot of leeway. As obnoxious as he might be on the course on occasion, he is a big reason why the paychecks on the Tour are what they are today.

I haven't gotten to watch much of the event this year. Of what I've seen, the thing that really strikes me is seeing some shots roll off the greens if they miss the true landing area on their approaches. And the resulting chip shots are never easy to pull off. Definitely a different kind of golf than what we usually see.

The U.S. Open is one of my favorite golf events to watch. It is usually the toughest test they face, and it is the one that the players want the most. The courses are generally among the best in the country (though most are not ones we'll ever get to play). I wish they would have the event out west more often, though. It seems as though most of the time, it's held out east. I'm sure that they can find something out west besides Pebble Beach if they really want to.

I agree with what you both are saying about Tiger. He brings a lot to the table, but he is an incredible ass.

Actually, a lot of the courses they play the US Open on are public courses. Pinehurst #2 is a public course. It only costs $225 for a round there. Both Opens that Tiger won were on public courses (Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black). I think Pebble Beach is up to about $450 per round.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 18 2005, 01:56 PM)
Actually, a lot of the courses they play the US Open on are public courses.  Pinehurst #2 is a public course.  It only costs $225 for a round there.  Both Opens that Tiger won were on public courses (Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black).  I think Pebble Beach is up to about $450 per round.

Green fees for Bethpage Black:

Weekday Peak Season - 18 holes - $39.00

Weekday Peak Season - 9 holes - $20.00

Weekends Peak Season - 18 holes - $49.00

Weekends Peak Season - 9 holes - $25.00

http://www.golfcourse.com/search/coursedtl...&courseid=10287

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 18 2005, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 18 2005, 01:56 PM)
Actually, a lot of the courses they play the US Open on are public courses.  Pinehurst #2 is a public course.  It only costs $225 for a round there.  Both Opens that Tiger won were on public courses (Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black).  I think Pebble Beach is up to about $450 per round.

Green fees for Bethpage Black:

Weekday Peak Season - 18 holes - $39.00

Weekday Peak Season - 9 holes - $20.00

Weekends Peak Season - 18 holes - $49.00

Weekends Peak Season - 9 holes - $25.00

http://www.golfcourse.com/search/coursedtl...&courseid=10287

I played Bethpage Black back in 1993, before they prepared it for a U.S. Open. It's a place I'll never forget. It was $18, and no carts are allowed on that course (the way it should be). It was a very difficult track, to say the least. I got one par all day, which is a low amount for a bogey golfer like myself. I had to make a 30 footer for it, no less. But I was so in awe of the place, and I knew that the course was worthy of an Open. It just had that feel to it. Wish I could play it all the time.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 18 2005, 10:23 AM)
I think the players give Tiger a lot of leeway. As obnoxious as he might be on the course on occasion, he is a big reason why the paychecks on the Tour are what they are today.

I haven't gotten to watch much of the event this year. Of what I've seen, the thing that really strikes me is seeing some shots roll off the greens if they miss the true landing area on their approaches. And the resulting chip shots are never easy to pull off. Definitely a different kind of golf than what we usually see.

The U.S. Open is one of my favorite golf events to watch. It is usually the toughest test they face, and it is the one that the players want the most. The courses are generally among the best in the country (though most are not ones we'll ever get to play). I wish they would have the event out west more often, though. It seems as though most of the time, it's held out east. I'm sure that they can find something out west besides Pebble Beach if they really want to.

Yes, the paychecks are higher nowadays than ever before, but it's not like these guys were making chump change pre-Tiger. The top players were making millions per year; i.e Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Fred Couples.

Also, not all of the increased payroll can be attributed to Tiger's presence. Pay-offs in all major sports trend the same way. The Indy 500 continues to pay record dividends even with a declining audience.

I guess I just find it real disturbing that a "professional" golfer damages a green like this with no penalty forthcoming. These guys make their living reading the utmost subtleties in a green. Especially these particular greens where they would be lucky to even hold an approach from the fairway.

It's simply not fair play and fair play is the foundation of golf.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jun 19 2005, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 18 2005, 10:23 AM)
I think the players give Tiger a lot of leeway.  As obnoxious as he might be on the course on occasion, he is a big reason why the paychecks on the Tour are what they are today.

I haven't gotten to watch much of the event this year.  Of what I've seen, the thing that really strikes me is seeing some shots roll off the greens if they miss the true landing area on their approaches.  And the resulting chip shots are never easy to pull off.  Definitely a different kind of golf than what we usually see.

The U.S. Open is one of my favorite golf events to watch.  It is usually the toughest test they face, and it is the one that the players want the most.  The courses are generally among the best in the country (though most are not ones we'll ever get to play).  I wish they would have the event out west more often, though.  It seems as though most of the time, it's held out east.  I'm sure that they can find something out west besides Pebble Beach if they really want to.

Yes, the paychecks are higher nowadays than ever before, but it's not like these guys were making chump change pre-Tiger. The top players were making millions per year; i.e Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Fred Couples.

Also, not all of the increased payroll can be attributed to Tiger's presence. Pay-offs in all major sports trend the same way. The Indy 500 continues to pay record dividends even with a declining audience.

I guess I just find it real disturbing that a "professional" golfer damages a green like this with no penalty forthcoming. These guys make their living reading the utmost subtleties in a green. Especially these particular greens where they would be lucky to even hold an approach from the fairway.

It's simply not fair play and fair play is the foundation of golf.

No, they were not making chump change before Tiger came along. They were making good money, but the money became incredicble after he came along. There is no denying that he has made a sizable impact on the game. It's almost on a par with what Wayne Gretzky's presence did for hockey. Gretzky got people watching hockey who never watched it or played it (like me), and I think Tiger has had that kind of impact on golf. It does not mean that Tiger has the same amount of class that Gretzky does. (I don't think too many people in any sport ever have.)

Golf might be considered a gentleman's game, but there are little things that go on out there that most of us are not privy to. Some players do engage in deliberate gamesmanship, doing little things to throw off opponents. Some allege use of illegal equipment by others. Who knows though? I think they do a pretty good job of keeping their problems in house. It's not like baseball, which could never be mistaken for a gentleman's game.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 19 2005, 12:46 PM)
schla03.gif Ho Hum.... Looks like Goosen again.. I like Retief, but he's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

rofl3.gif That is SO true!

Great tourney. Some serious choking went down in the final round. It's such a mental game.

I was going for Tiger (always go for the American over an international player) ... but the guy who won (already forgot his name LOL) from New Zealand seems cool. He had a good story and definitely earned the win.

As far as playing that course ... I can't imagine what it would be to try to keep the ball on the green. I know I would be ultra conservative. I am always that way when there is a large penalty for agression.

Archived