Fly By Night

losingit2k

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 6 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 5 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 5 2012, 03:09 PM)

Ged said in an interview a while back that they tried it and it sounded bad and as much as the fans want to hear songs from that era if they don't like how it sounds they won't play them.
I wouldn't mind a lot of the older stuff in a lower register so Ged could sing it, just so I could hear it again live.

Yeah, bring it down two or three Keys. I don't really care what key they play it in. I would just like to hear it Live once.

yes.gif

Oh god I can't picture FBN toned down to the key they use for 2112. It would take a bright and cheery song and turn it into something dark and dismal with a fast tempo. It works for 2112 because that's what the priests are.

I agree. It would fly over like a lead zeppelin if they tried that. They already have enough "beer/bathroom tunes" as it is. Why not just lip sync the studio track like milla vanilla? tongue.gif (insert "dream weaver" clip here...)

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Aug 8 2012, 08:10 PM)
Personally, I think that this is a song that just hasn't aged very well. Of all of their old stuff, this one really sounds dated.

If they're going to bring something back from that era, I'd love for it to be "In The End".

I think you like it "In the End"

tongue.gif

I would love to hear Fly By Night more than anything. I honestly don't know what the reasoning for not playing it is, but I'd love to hear it any form. As far as Geddy singing it, I don't see why it couldn't be reworked in some way (like CttH on Time Machine), I know they could make it work somehow. Even part of a medley without vocals, I would just have the biggest grin on my face to finally hear the opening guitar riff and drum fills.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 5 2012, 01:48 PM)
Geddy said in an interview a few years ago that Working Man is basically the only pre-2112 song he can still sing without it sounding horrible.

"Working Man" is a song where Geddy can alter the vocal melody -- loosen it up and move some notes into a lower range -- and still have it sound like "Working Man." Can't do that with "Fly By Night" -- those melodies and the register they're in are just as important to the identity of the song as the chord progressions behind them.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Aug 13 2012, 04:57 PM)
Fly by Night is better left unplayed IMO.

It's just too damn happy, who wants to hear that kind of nonsense?

Now there's a reason that really holds water! Fly by Night is just too happy!

facepalm.gif

"Finding my Way, What You're Doing, Anthem, Garden Road, Best I Can, Fly By Night, By Tor & the Snow Dog, Bastille Day, The Necromancer, No One at the Bridge."

Dream on dude,Geddy's voice is not in the same register it used to be which is why you aren't gonna hear those songs with the exception of by-tor.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Aug 15 2012, 07:19 AM)
"Finding my Way, What You're Doing, Anthem, Garden Road, Best I Can, Fly By Night, By Tor & the Snow Dog, Bastille Day, The Necromancer, No One at the Bridge."

Dream on dude,Geddy's voice is not in the same register it used to be which is why you aren't gonna hear those songs with the exception of by-tor.

We could as an Instrumedley!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif