• Headlong Flight @ 4:33
    • Headlong Flight @ 4:44
    • Headlong Flight @ 6:12
    • Headlong Flight @ 6:29
    • Wish Them Well @ 1:02
    • Wish Them Well @ 3:00
    • The Garden @ 4:23
    • The Garden @ 6:22

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 28 2012, 08:13 PM)
I know I left some fills out, I just went with what I thought were his best. Anyway, I went with The Headlong Flight Fill at 4:15 right before the Spoken part. I love the way Neil brings that on in!

Regardless, the one thing we can agree on is that Neil is Back and with that some much needed Air Drumming!

1022.gif NeilFinal.gif 1022.gif

Agreed! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Aug 2 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 28 2012, 08:13 PM)
I know I left some fills out, I just went with what I thought were his best. Anyway, I went with The Headlong Flight Fill at 4:15 right before the Spoken part. I love the way Neil brings that on in!

Regardless, the one thing we can agree on is that Neil is Back and with that some much needed Air Drumming!

1022.gif  NeilFinal.gif  1022.gif

Agreed! trink39.gif

I know! I've been air drumming like never before! Neil is awesome on this album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

there is really no unique or creative fills on this album. since they approached this album in more of a jam style of writing it didn't give him time to think out cool ideas and fills. i like it when he thinks out his parts and rehashes ideas over and over until he comes up with something cool.

A cool fill is in The Wreckers at 3:40. Eighth note triplet's down the toms, but with ghost snare notes. All about "feel"...

QUOTE (shail @ Aug 3 2012, 02:33 PM)
there is really no unique or creative fills on this album. since they approached this album in more of a jam style of writing it didn't give him time to think out cool ideas and fills. i like it when he thinks out his parts and rehashes ideas over and over until he comes up with something cool.

I tend to agree with you. I like the more "inventive" and well-planned fills.

A lot of the fills on this album seem very "live" for want of a better term (which makes sense since he did them on the fly).

He does a lot of simple 8th and 16th note bass drum/cymbal "bashing" and snare drum/cymbal bashing (3:10 of Clockwork Angels; 1:21. 3:11 and 3:17 of The Anarchist; and a few other spots).

The fills are akin to what a lot drummers do at the end of songs when the band is just strumming.

Then again, a lot of his magic could be lost in the sort of muddy mix (but I'm not going to open that can of worms).

Edited by andrew28

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 14 2012, 01:48 AM)
A cool fill is in The Wreckers at 3:40. Eighth note triplet's down the toms, but with ghost snare notes. All about "feel"...

Yeah, I agree thats a pretty cool fill even if it's improvised.

wink.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 29 2012, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 28 2012, 10:56 PM)
As far as Neil being back, where did he go? What's lacking about his work on S&A?

The Neil Peart as creator of interesting and busy drum parts went into hiding after, I will argue, HYF. The Neil Peart of Presto - S &A just didn't create a whole lot of exciting drumming moments for me. Even Geddy says in BTS that Neil became much more conservative in his drumming as he aged.

S &A had promising flashes but even in the awesome TMMB he way underplays and leaves space that he could have filled up. Lots of drummers play straight 4-on-the-floor and great grooves...but with Peart less is definitely not more for me. He didn't earn the title of Professor because of restraint.

On CA, as I've said in other threads, his playing is vibrant, busy and exciting. Much different than the Neil Peart that spent hours crafting & refining drum parts but just as awesome & interesting.

I totally agree but another notable exception is the opening of one little victory!

I voted for the headlong flight on at 1:42 1022.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 30 2012, 08:22 AM)
As said before, the stick counting isn't counting, he can do that in his head. It's meant to represent a ticking clock.

Actually I'm pretty sure stick counting like that is to cue the other guys so they can start on the same beat (not that rush does this. They just look at Neil when they need to)

They left it in to represent the clock ticking..

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 15 2012, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 30 2012, 08:22 AM)
As said before, the stick counting isn't counting, he can do that in his head. It's meant to represent a ticking clock.

Actually I'm pretty sure stick counting like that is to cue the other guys so they can start on the same beat (not that rush does this. They just look at Neil when they need to)

They left it in to represent the clock ticking..

Clock Ticking. Great use of his sticks counting action then. Me likey!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif