What is your favorite period of Rush?

LedRush

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite period of Rush?

• Early - Rush and FBN
    • Prog - CoS, 2112, aFTK adn Hemispheres
    • Classic - PeW and MP
    • Synth - Signals, GUP, PoW and HYF
    • Back to guitar - Presto, RTB, CP and T4E
    • Late - VP, S&A and CA

Hmm, interesting poll.

Early benefits from the presence of FBN (which is a very strong album - IMO) but its hurt by ST which I don't love all that much so Early feel right out of the running.

Prog benefits from the great 2112 and AFTK but it s hurt bad by CoS which I don't like at all (and thats putting it mildly). Hemispheres surprisingly does not really help this era all that much - for some reason I am not a huge fan of this album. Don't dislike but just not that much of a fan either. So this era is in the running but will have to hope for weaknesses in some of the other era's because it just can't win it on its own due to the above mentioned weaknesses.

Classic has 2 great albums - nothing to dislike so it passes prog by. If prog only had 2112 and AFTK that would have been very, very hard to pick. But again, for me the prog era is hurt by CoS.

The Synth era has 4 very, very strong albums. Nothing to dislike. So it and classic are neck and neck.

The Back to Guitar era has 3 very good albums but it hurt by the presence of RTB that I don't really love that much so it can't match classic or synth. Plus, as good as it's 3 good albums are, they don't stack up agains the best the synth era or the 2 classic albums or the best of the prog era

Late has the very good S & A but it also has the hideous VT. CA is just 2 new for me still so Late is not in the running.

It comes down to synth vs. classic with prog running a very strong 3rd. On the strength of the lyrics of the synth era (esp. Power Windows and HYF) my vote goes to synth by a hair over classic.

Back to guitar takes 4th with early in 5th.

Voted for synth.

I am surprised by all the synth love here, but perhaps I shouldn't be. Fans abandoned Rush throughout the synth period. But this site is for super fans and, presumably, those fans that stayed with Rush actually like the new output.

This may also explain the hate for RTB on this site. RTB was the first album in a long time to sell more copies than the previous one, and the fans who stayed with Rush through the synth period may have a bit of a backlash against Rush for going the popular route once again, or for the "new" or "returned" fans who abandoned Rush during the synth days.

All the above.

No offense to AC/DC or any band that always sounds the same, but my life is not one dimensional, so the soundtrack to my life must grow and change with me.

Your poll groupings match exactly how I see their musical history.

I first became aware of Rush during Classic and early Synth, and though I am a giant prog-head, I don't love Rush's Prog period more than the Synth period. (Because I had to go and discover the old Prog stuff, it has no nostalgic value for me.)

I feel the Classic period had the best of both worlds.