Tombstone Mountain's Review Thread

Tombstone Mountain

I don't know where this magazine comes from, but the link is below if you wish to visit the site.

http://rockandrollworld.net/rock/?p=8130

RUSH Clockwork Angels (Heavy Prog, 2012)

Progarchives.com | July 11, 2012 - 10:30 |

Review by sagichim

If I wouldn't have known Rush before and someone would have told me this album is from a three sixty year old dudes, I probably would say "get the [%*!#] outa here!!". Having not enjoyed any Rush album

from the last decade I probably wouldn't have bought this, but after listening to their surprisingly good 2010 single, I thought they might just pull it off afterall. Talking about it on our forum, I certainly approached this album with cautious and hidden expectations.

So as I listened to it for a few times, I knew it's a good album but it didn't really fully grabbed me and I was starting to think that I would end up eventually returning it to the shelf to collect a good amount of dust, just like it's predecessor is still doing. But just after a couple of listens it clicked!! and the melodies began to sink in deeper and maid me realize that this is a wonderful album.

What makes it so good are a few things, first it's the great melodies, the trio really out did themselves here, whether if it's the verses or the choruses it's all really good. Another thing I like and that's what drew me to this album in the first place, is the excellent heaviness unleashed

by Alex's distorted guitars and Geddy's 5 tons weighting bass, it all works so well under the conducting of the maestro Mr. Peart. Seriously I can't find any weak song or any uninspired moment that would remind me any of their previous albums.

That said, I wouldn't compare it to any of my favorite 70's albums by the band, that era is over, but placing it in the right perspective I have to say that I would be more than happy to receive this level of quality every two years or so.

So what's the album like? Well, arguing if it's going to be progressive or not before it has been released, now I can say... yes it is but also no it's not. It's more in the vein of structured songs with a cool twist or you can just call them interesting songs. The riffs are not your ordinary FM

radio stuff, it is certainly edgier, just take a quick look at UB2B's hammer like main riff and you'll get the picture. Other than that, still keeping it in the "song pattern" Rush have a lot to offer to our trained ears, delievering us with fantastic playing and such a high quality writing.

The album is again HEAVY but still holds a lot of emotion. Lee's vocals are very good and he doesn't sound like he strained his vocal cords for the past 40 years, but man...can he play that bass whoooohooo, he has a lot of groovy moments and overall a fabulous performance, he is one of my favorite bassists ever no doubt about it. Lifeson also manages to stay a live and produces some excellent riffing and some good solos every now and then, he also didn't loose his inspiration. Peart is like always a master but he is not a wicked machine as he was before, I can't help but feel that this time he hasn't stormed the drum kit and played like the good old days, he is more timid and relaxed than before but still not a single bad word can be said about him.

I'm very excited by this album and I'm very proud of Rush, they certainbly showed just what an amazing musicians and incredible writers they are. So if you are already a Rush fan, you can not go

wrong with this album since it has just about every thing we love about this band.

Great effort 4 solid stars.

Good. CA deserves five stars. To me, five stars means 'classic', usually ascribed to reviews of older albums, but rarely albums can recieve instant classic status. I know the album is only one month old, and it still has yet to stand the test of time, but in this day and age, CA is close enough to five stars for me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 12 2012, 09:34 AM)
Ok this guy seriously needs his own subsection of TRF. All of this stuff could be in just 1 thread. Posting random sites that noones ever heard of everyday.

Dearest Trenken

maybe not where you live dude...however you do not speak for Rush fans in Britain and Europe. allow yourself a little circumspection and realize that you are not the center of the universe. Our friends from across the ocean have a lot to offer us here in this part of the world.

This is a sight for those interested in Rush. Not for people interested in provoking Rush fans.

2.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 12 2012, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 12 2012, 09:34 AM)
Ok this guy seriously needs his own subsection of TRF. All of this stuff could be in just 1 thread. Posting random sites that noones ever heard of everyday.

Dearest Trenken

maybe not where you live dude...however you do not speak for Rush fans in Britain and Europe. allow yourself a little circumspection and realize that you are not the center of the universe. Our friends from across the ocean have a lot to offer us here in this part of the world.

This is a sight for those interested in Rush. Not for people interested in provoking Rush fans.

2.gif

Pretty sure the number of people you are annoying with these constant new threads that could have easily been put in the generic reviews thread goes far beyond trenken... he is just most vocal.

Tomstone Mountain defined

You continue to do this because 1 or 2 people actually like these threads, and you like the attention (negative or positive) all these silly little threads provide.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 12 2012, 08:47 AM)
I don't know where this magazine comes from, but the link is below if you wish to visit the site.
http://rockandrollworld.net/rock/?p=8130

RUSH Clockwork Angels (Heavy Prog, 2012)
Progarchives.com | July 11, 2012 - 10:30 |

Review by sagichim

If I wouldn't have known Rush before and someone would have told me this album is from a three sixty year old dudes, I probably would say "get the [%*!#] outa here!!". Having not enjoyed any Rush album
from the last decade I probably wouldn't have bought this, but after listening to their surprisingly good 2010 single, I thought they might just pull it off afterall. Talking about it on our forum, I certainly approached this album with cautious and hidden expectations.

So as I listened to it for a few times, I knew it's a good album but it didn't really fully grabbed me and I was starting to think that I would end up eventually returning it to the shelf to collect a good amount of dust, just like it's predecessor is still doing. But just after a couple of listens it clicked!! and the melodies began to sink in deeper and maid me realize that this is a wonderful album.

What makes it so good are a few things, first it's the great melodies, the trio really out did themselves here, whether if it's the verses or the choruses it's all really good. Another thing I like and that's what drew me to this album in the first place, is the excellent heaviness unleashed
by Alex's distorted guitars and Geddy's 5 tons weighting bass, it all works so well under the conducting of the maestro Mr. Peart. Seriously I can't find any weak song or any uninspired moment that would remind me any of their previous albums.

That said, I wouldn't compare it to any of my favorite 70's albums by the band, that era is over, but placing it in the right perspective I have to say that I would be more than happy to receive this level of quality every two years or so.

So what's the album like? Well, arguing if it's going to be progressive or not before it has been released, now I can say... yes it is but also no it's not. It's more in the vein of structured songs with a cool twist or you can just call them interesting songs. The riffs are not your ordinary FM
radio stuff, it is certainly edgier, just take a quick look at UB2B's hammer like main riff and you'll get the picture. Other than that, still keeping it in the "song pattern" Rush have a lot to offer to our trained ears, delievering us with fantastic playing and such a high quality writing.

The album is again HEAVY but still holds a lot of emotion. Lee's vocals are very good and he doesn't sound like he strained his vocal cords for the past 40 years, but man...can he play that bass whoooohooo, he has a lot of groovy moments and overall a fabulous performance, he is one of my favorite bassists ever no doubt about it. Lifeson also manages to stay a live and produces some excellent riffing and some good solos every now and then, he also didn't loose his inspiration. Peart is like always a master but he is not a wicked machine as he was before, I can't help but feel that this time he hasn't stormed the drum kit and played like the good old days, he is more timid and relaxed than before but still not a single bad word can be said about him.

I'm very excited by this album and I'm very proud of Rush, they certainbly showed just what an amazing musicians and incredible writers they are. So if you are already a Rush fan, you can not go
wrong with this album since it has just about every thing we love about this band.

Great effort 4 solid stars.

Keep em coming Tombstone....

esp. if these reviews piss off the haters!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 12 2012, 10:14 AM)
Keep em coming Tombstone....

esp. if these reviews piss off the haters!

laugh.gif

thanks for checking out the reviews and having my back. To some, these thread are just a waste of time. Yet when I go to the postings of those who are critical, I find stuff that is just par for the course and nothing really enlightening.

What people have to say from other countries is fascinating and important. They see the world in a wonderful way.

the haters can keep on hating...who cares?

trink39.gif

Bring 'em Duff. Love it dude! The 3 great german Rock magazines have all a Rush Cover and a titlestory this month. It's amazing and a very untypical printmedia presence over here.

Btw, haven't seen footage of the 'Incident at Loch Ness' yet. Even on Werner Herzog's side the damn thing is not available. Forgot about it as I ordered my CA vinyl from overseas.

Cheers Grey trink39.gif

Edited by greyfriar

This reminds me of those people that knock on your door trying to sell religion to you. Every day posting reviews from random underground sites that let their users post their own reviews. I have no idea why he's posting this stuff here. Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 12 2012, 06:35 PM)
This reminds me of those people that knock on your door trying to sell religion to you. Every day posting reviews from random underground sites that let their users post their own reviews. I have no idea why he's posting this stuff here.

Who care what you think confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 12 2012, 05:51 PM)
I've got news for you, you don't need to be trenken to think "Utterly flawless" is hyperbole.

i was a bit surprised to see it described as "utterly flawless", but hey it's music and everyone hears things differrently. wacko.gif

Especially when they're STONED smile.gif

I have yet to read a negative review or even a mediocre review from a national source. Why do you think that is? Maybe because it's a great record? The same few posters want to cry BS like a broken record on here. You guys are way too predictable. Edited by presto123

This reminds me of those people that knock on your door trying to sell religion to you. Every day posting reviews from random underground sites that let their users post their own reviews. I have no idea why he's posting this stuff here.

Gee, that being said, I have no idea why The Rush Forum lets you post. But, they do. We live in a great world don't we???

Utterly flawless

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

People across the pond know what's up!!!

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Utterly Flawless

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 09:25 AM)

Gee, that being said, I have no idea why The Rush Forum lets you post. But, they do. We live in a great world don't we???

Utterly flawless

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

People across the pond know what's up!!!

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Utterly Flawless

Are you employed by Rush, Tombstone?