Family Trees

Principled Man

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
I've never understood the interest myself. Who cares if my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a viking warrior who swept all before him?

confused13.gif

I totally understand that BUT as a person born a mutt, I've been forever curious as to which culture I can attach myself too. That's why I'm interested. I feel as if I have no culture since I'm a mix of so many.

Edited by Janie

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 10 2012, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 10 2012, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 11:24 AM)
I've never understood the interest myself. Who cares if my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a viking warrior who swept all before him?

confused13.gif

You're just afraid that you'd find out you were related to Roger Goodell.

I think you ARE him!

ohmy.gif

Roger?? unsure.gif My long lost grandfather aged 92? huh.gif Is that you? wacko.gif

Nope, not him.

If you think I was him, would I have ever said the words "With the eighth pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select Ryan Tannehill, quarterback, Texas A&M"?

no.gif

No you should really take a good player in the first round...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2012, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 11 2012, 02:24 AM)

confused13.gif

Some people like to brag. Some are just curious.

For whatever reason it always seemed to me that we yanks are more interested in this than most other nationalities. There've been countless times that I've heard Americans say that they're one-half [insert European nationality here], one-fourth [insert Native American tribe here], one-eighth this or that, and a little bit of tit for tat. All that and a bag of chips but they rarely meet their grandparents or first cousins. It's somewhat laughable.

Truth is, we're all related....and treeduck's the wild, mutant 2nd cousin that we keep a secret. wink.gif trink38.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 11 2012, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 10:24 AM)

confused13.gif

I totally understand that BUT as a person born a mutt, I've been forever curious as to which culture I can attach myself too. That's why I'm interested. I feel as if I have no culture since I'm a mix of so many.

You're the mystery woman...

ph34r.gif

Plus.... when we were thinking of names for baby #1, we wanted a familial name. We went through my family tree and could not agree BUT I bugged my Mother-in-Law for a family tree and we found the perfect name. She was only able to produce a few names though.

It struck me as odd that she knew nearly nothing about her family. She could not trace anything past her mom and dad. She had no idea who her own grandparents were. How do you not know that? How do you not have any interest into who you are or who your family is!? I do not understand this. She is from Dublin. I expected to see a long and very interesting line to trace. You know, she didn't even know the birthdates of her own parents. How the hell do you not know this stuff!?

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 11 2012, 03:55 PM)
Plus.... when we were thinking of names for baby #1, we wanted a familial name. We went through my family tree and could not agree BUT I bugged my Mother-in-Law for a family tree and we found the perfect name. She was only able to produce a few names though.

It struck me as odd that she knew nearly nothing about her family. She could not trace anything past her mom and dad. She had no idea who her own grandparents were. How do you not know that? How do you not have any interest into who you are or who your family is!? I do not understand this. She is from Dublin. I expected to see a long and very interesting line to trace. You know, she didn't even know the birthdates of her own parents. Who the hell do you not know this stuff!?

She's Irish... laugh.gif

My dad is from Dublin too...

English, Irish, German, Scottish, and Choctaw. True American.

Go 'Murica!

No, seriously my Mom has traced back to the 1700s, when my Dad's family came over before the revolution and settled in South Carolina. My Mom's family immigrated from Germany and Ireland respectively in the 1880s.

Pretty cool really...I have Choctaw skin, German nose, and red-tinted hair from the Irish.

Edited by MainMonkeyBusiness

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 11 2012, 10:23 PM)
I find it fascinating to a fault. I used to work with an Irish guy (meaning he was born and raised in Ireland, has the accent, etc...) who thought it was silly that so many Americans claim to be Irish at all. He's thinking is that unless you were born and raised in Ireland by two Irish parents, you are not Irish.

I see his point as well. And of all the possible ancestry that Americans have, it's those with Irish ancestors that seem to flaunt their "Irishness" (or their version of it).

Funny that you say that...was in a bar with a close Irish friend of mine when this idiot from Philly (who we knew through connections) came up to us and introduced himself to my buddy. The idiot was using an Irish accent (despite having a complete American accent) when he spoke. One of the first things the idiot asked was, "Have you seen the cliffs of Ireland?" with that badly faked accent. I was embarassed FOR him. The only reason my friend tolerated him was because that idiot kept buying him pints JUST because he was Irish. Shit, I should've said I was from Cork too.

This is a pretty cool thread!

I recently found out that my great-great-great grandfather

was the 11th great grandson of Henry Tudor (king Henry V11)

and Elizabeth of York, thru their son Henry the 8th's son out of wedlock, John Perrot..so that was kind of a trip to find out.

Ancestry.com is a good place to start, if you want'a do that.

The study of one's ancestor's is a pretty cool hobby, but all in all,

were all just related to one race....the HUMAN race.

No one is above anyone else.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 12 2012, 08:09 PM)
This is a pretty cool thread!

I recently found out that my great-great-great grandfather
was the 11th great grandson of Henry Tudor (king Henry V11)
and Elizabeth of York, thru their son Henry the 8th's son out of wedlock, John Perrot..so that was kind of a trip to find out.

Any Ackleys in your Family? I have an English ancestor named John Ackley (early 1800's), who was married to Catherine O'Connell from Ireland. I've been swimming thru the MANY listings for each name, and I'm drowning!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 12 2012, 07:05 AM)
I find it fascinating to a fault. I used to work with an Irish guy (meaning he was born and raised in Ireland, has the accent, etc...) who thought it was silly that so many Americans claim to be Irish at all. He's thinking is that unless you were born and raised in Ireland by two Irish parents, you are not Irish.

I see his point as well. And of all the possible ancestry that Americans have, it's those with Irish ancestors that seem to flaunt their "Irishness" (or their version of it).

Funny that you say that...was in a bar with a close Irish friend of mine when this idiot from Philly (who we knew through connections) came up to us and introduced himself to my buddy. The idiot was using an Irish accent (despite having a complete American accent) when he spoke. One of the first things the idiot asked was, "Have you seen the cliffs of Ireland?" with that badly faked accent. I was embarassed FOR him. The only reason my friend tolerated him was because that idiot kept buying him pints JUST because he was Irish. Shit, I should've said I was from Cork too.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IrishIdiot-300x277.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 13 2012, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 12 2012, 07:05 AM)

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IrishIdiot-300x277.jpg

Somebody needs to tell this Irish dude that speed kills.....

Looks like he's seriously flyin' or fryin' !!!! unsure.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 11 2012, 06:23 AM)

Well, If you were born in America, but have an Irish last name,

you are an American of Irish descent...and you are definitely part Irish.

Your friend is full of Bull sheet..Not Irish?? That's laughable!! rofl3.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 13 2012, 06:54 PM)

coming from a true Irishman, I think I'll take his word for it. smile.gif

I'm not into this but someone in my family traced ours back to 1453, and my wife has spent a lot of money on ancestry.com with hers. There's no one famous in my lineage, but she's got a Revolutionary War soldier, and Pocahontas in hers.

This type of work is incredibly frustrating, with about 2/3s of the information being wrong in some way. She's had trees where we thought we knew something and then found out that everything from a couple of generations was completely wrong. For all we know, we still could have some of it wrong.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 13 2012, 05:54 PM)

Is that guy more Irish than me though?

cool10.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 14 2012, 06:51 PM)
I don't know if I trust ancestry.com.

You have to be very careful with ancestry.com. I started using it years ago and there was not that much information which proved in my favor. It was easy to narrow searches. Now, there is a lot on there and it takes forever to weed through pages and pages of similar names; however, I've researched known family lines and everything has come up correct except one item, which I caught and because of it, came across something really interesting...

A maternal great, great aunt was on ancestry.com with a picture. Wasn't her picture though. It was a picture of her younger sister. I have the family's collection of photo albums (since I'm so gung-ho on ancestry) so I knew right away the photo was wrong. Anyway, turns out there is a whole society involved around preserving the history of my great, great aunt (they were the ones who posted the wrong pic, not knowing the mistake they had made). I contacted this society and filled in about 85% of their gaps of info on her! (As a child, her beauty was such that a town had named themselves after her. The city name has since changed but there is a huge following of her and this old city and images of her - they even have a yearly gathering of everyone who is interested in her! No one in my family had ever contacted this society so I think they are happy that I could answer a lot of their questions and supply them with many photos of her.)

Totally long-winded way of saying... I think ancestry.com is a wonderful starting point but you do still need to do a bit of your own research verifying the info you are finding. If anything, start writing things down and making notes because you never know if someone down your family line is going to go ape for this stuff. Like me.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 15 2012, 12:03 PM)

A maternal great, great aunt was on ancestry.com with a picture. Wasn't her picture though. It was a picture of her younger sister. I have the family's collection of photo albums (since I'm so gung-ho on ancestry) so I knew right away the photo was wrong. Anyway, turns out there is a whole society involved around preserving the history of my great, great aunt (they were the ones who posted the wrong pic, not knowing the mistake they had made). I contacted this society and filled in about 85% of their gaps of info on her! (As a child, her beauty was such that a town had named themselves after her. The city name has since changed but there is a huge following of her and this old city and images of her - they even have a yearly gathering of everyone who is interested in her! No one in my family had ever contacted this society so I think they are happy that I could answer a lot of their questions and supply them with many photos of her.)

Sounds like the famous Hilda of TRF. Anyone with relevant info on Hilda should contact Tick, historian and Hilda following cult leader smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2012, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 15 2012, 12:03 PM)

Sounds like the famous Hilda of TRF. Anyone with relevant info on Hilda should contact Tick, historian and Hilda following cult leader smile.gif

Ok....Well, which one is it???? Hick the tic? or... Tic the hick?!?!??! laugh.gif

J/k.. Sorry, tic..couldn't pass that joke up! no.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 14 2012, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 14 2012, 06:51 PM)
I don't know if I trust ancestry.com.

You have to be very careful with ancestry.com. I started using it years ago and there was not that much information which proved in my favor. It was easy to narrow searches. Now, there is a lot on there and it takes forever to weed through pages and pages of similar names; however, I've researched known family lines and everything has come up correct except one item, which I caught and because of it, came across something really interesting...

Totally long-winded way of saying... I think ancestry.com is a wonderful starting point but you do still need to do a bit of your own research verifying the info you are finding. If anything, start writing things down and making notes because you never know if someone down your family line is going to go ape for this stuff. Like me.

We have official papers on our family tree regarding the Proctor side of my family (maternal side) so I feel like those are correct.

My father's side is not so easy.

There's really no reason to doubt Ancestry.com.

The site is the best one around, and they're accurate

85-90 % of the time...I trust the site completely.

It's been on the net for years..if it wasn't trustworthy,

it wouldn't be there, that's for sure.