THE Rush song

Gedneil Alpeart

It depends on the person. For instance, when I started introducing my future wife to Rush, I was smart enough not to dump Hemispheres or Anthem on her. Started off with more 80's-type stuff, like Mission, Subdivisions, & Middletown Dreams. She got it immediately and now she digs it all. (well, except for some of Ged's 70's shrieking)

Otherwise, I'd have a tough time picking between Red Barchetta & The Spirit of Radio. TSOR more for musical content...the song just has everything musically great about Rush. RB more for lyrical content...I can see it clearly in my mind every time I hear it.

YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, Leave that Thing Alone, Main Monkey Business

Any instrumental to get em hooked, and then some songs The Pass, The Garden, Limilight, Subdivisions to keep em hooked.

The song that best represents everything I love about Rush isn't the song I'd play to someone to try to get them into the band. The song with that designation would be the Hemispheres suite which is obviously not a good place for most people to start.

If I was trying to turn someone on to Rush, the first song I would play for them would depend on who the person was, and what their interests were. Not that that is reliable. I have a friend in Wales who was into 70s prog and hard rock but hadn't really heard Rush, and I couldn't find a Rush song she liked until I gave her The Enemy Within!

This must be why I pretty much never try to turn people on to bands. laugh.gif

Natural Science (almost any version will do, but I'm partial to the Rio version at the moment).

I'm tempted to cheat and say "Side 3 of ESL" because it plays through (no gaps) like one long song and that's the way I've always treated it...this is the definitive piece of Rush music for me. But then that opens up an argument for 2112 and Hemispheres, so I guess I can't cheat.

Natural Science it is.

Freewill pretty much encompasses everything that makes RUSH great:

Amazing playing

Awesome singing from Geddy

Super-High screech "Each of us.. a CELL of awareness!"

Great Lyrics

The Camera Eye has it all... it encompasses everything they had learned up to that point... its lyrics and its concepts are big yet like the best Rush songs it has a personal quality to it as seen through the sharp eye of the narrator...