James Bond

Ru5h F@n

I guess my favorite would be Diamonds Are Forever. My favorite scene is when Sean Connery is in a coffin trying to get out while they try cremating him.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 13 2005, 07:17 PM)
Is Live and Let Die the movie with the record setting boat jump?

Record setting? I heard they greased the ramp for that jump. It was that movie though.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 13 2005, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 13 2005, 07:17 PM)
Is Live and Let Die the movie with the record setting boat jump?

Record setting? I heard they greased the ramp for that jump. It was that movie though.

It was in the Guiness Book of World Records for a while.

I kind of grew out of the James Bond thing in the late 80's, but I did see a fair few. Even though most seemed to prefer Sean Connery, I'm more of a Roger Moore fan, only because those were the ones coming out when I was a kid. My favorite is The Spy Who Loved Me, but an honorary mention goes to Moonraker - haven't seen any of them in a LOOOOOOONg time though!

I like almost all of the Bond films. They're fun. Connery was more macho, and Moore was more refined. It wasn't quite the same after Moore retired. Brosnan does a decent job, though.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 13 2005, 08:09 PM)
I just watched "Diamonds Are Forever." Then came in and saw this thread. Funny.

Well I knew you would be here. laugh.gif I'm psychic.

When I was younger, I preferred the Roger Moore era. His two best are The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only, although Live And Let Die is good. Sorry, but Moonraker and The Man With The Golden Gun are way too campy and Moore appears too old in Octopussy and A View To A Kill.

As I got older, I found the Sean Connery era better. The two best from that era still have to be Goldfinger and Thunderball. You Only Live Twice is an interesting adventure, but it seems to be lacking something. Probably because Donald Pleasance doesn't seem to be a very sinister Blofeld, or because the spacecraft nabbing plot is kind of hokey. Dr No and From Russia With Love are an interesting start, and the most politically edgy.

Sadly, On Her Majesty's Secret Service seems to be the most panned of the Bond films, despite some decent writing. Telly Savalas plays Blofeld a little more sociopathic. Probably what really hurt this one was George Lazenby being cast. He just makes Bond appear as a tragic figure right from the beginning, which none of the other actors has done, and which fans don't want to see. Bond is an action hero and action heroes are not supposed to suffer emotionally. They sure had Bond coming back with a literal vengeance during the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever, and he sure doesn't seem to be mourning for Tracy at all.

I think Timothy Dalton did a great Bond. He played him a little more dark and sinister, especially in License To Kill, the only Bond film to get rated R. The Living Daylights is still one of my favorites. It has lots of globetrotting, lots of adventure, a tricked out car, a pretty good movie theme (Where Has Everybody Gone by the Pretenders; I know, The Living Daylights by A-ha was the opening theme, but Where Has Everybody Gone is heard through most of the score), and a more plausible plot.

So far, Brosnan seems to be the second most critically panned of the Bond actors, although I think the fault lies in the production, not in Brosnan. I'm sorry, but how can anyone truly believe that Denise Richards was a nuclear physicist? At least they cast Sophie Marceau correctly as Elektra King, and Robbie Coltrane as Zukovsky was pretty good too. Funny how Joe Don Baker was cast as the villain in The Living Daylights and as the CIA agent in Goldeneye. Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan (006) was kind of interesting.

Man, I could do a whole post on all the different Bond Girls, especially Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp, Miryam Dabo as Kara Miloviy, and Tanya Roberts as Stacy Sutton drool1.gif

I remember many Brosnan fans wanted him to start playing Bond after Moore quit, when Dalton was hired instead. Supposedly one reason he didn't was that Brosnan was considered too young at the time. I heard the reason originally was because Brosnan was still under contract obligation to NBC for Remington Steele. A similar issue happened when Spielberg and Lucas wanted to cast Tom Selleck to play Indiana Jones, but as he was contracted to Magnum PI, he couldn't.

Sadly, my wife still hates Bond. She hates the womanizing image and thinks the plots are stupid. But I guess it's difficult to find women who are Bond fans unless they are fans of the actor playing Bond.

Best line from a Bond film

Bond: Do you expect me to talk?

Goldfinger: No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.

QUOTE (Batman @ Jun 14 2005, 05:00 AM)
I would have to go with Dr. No

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/batman2112/Dr.jpg

Same here, and what about Die Another Day, Goldeneye, or Tommorow Never Dies. My Personal Top Four.

Just a few facts to add to your notebook:

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was originally supposed to be Sean Connery but he passed on it saying that he was disgusted with the script and wouldn't even bother making the movie. He told them to write another totally original movie script that would make him do it, alas Diamonds Are Forever.

Timothy Dalton was let go after 2 movies. MGM wanted to fire him after the first one "The Living Daylights" due to he was not the guy for the role as they had originally thought he would be in the first place but he was under contract so they let him do 1 more which was "Licence To Kill'. They said he was too sensitive for the role.

They wanted someone more colder and harder to do "Goldeneye", hence Pierce Brosnan came into the picture. He is actually irish but plays and looks like a great Englishman. His irish accent just fits perfectly when he talks British.

Edited by Ru5h F@n

I think that the Brosnan-era is the best. This may only be because he's the Bond I first got into, and all Bond films i've ever seen in cinema's are Brosnan films.

My fave would be Goldeneye, excellent for some reason i can't pin down, it just is. that may be helped by the fact the game tie-in, Goldeneye 007, was my first ever video game and is the best first person shooter ever!

I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond and loved it.

But Sean IS Bond He had the part down to a tee the tough womanizer with a slight touch of humor.

George was a last minute fill in with a bad script to work with.

NBC screwed Bronson they cancelled Reminton Steele then once he got the part decided to bring it back for a half season.

Tim just wasn't the right actor for the role and the scripts were not good by any means.

They really started going down hill with A view to a kill