Anyone have any idea how sales are going for CA?

Superbaldguy

QUOTE (Superbaldguy @ Jun 20 2012, 07:45 AM)
I can't recall the last time a new Rush disc was so anticipated and getting such positive feedback. In this day of downloads, can a CD actually sell well no matter how good it is? Safe to say this recording is an instant classic, IMHO.

I think the sales figures for last week get released today or tomorrow, but it was set up to be #2 behind the new Usher album, somewhere in the 90,000 range sold, which is about what Snakes & Arrows sold. Which is pretty good considering how much further cd sales have gone in the toilet since SnA came out.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 20 2012, 08:15 AM)
95K sold. I think that's about 2,000 more copies than S&A's first week?

I think 95,000 is only physical copies. RIAB is saying 103,000 total sold. Which would be an even 10,000 more than S&A's first week. So, are there 10,000 more Rush fans than there were 5 years ago, or is that the value of Roadrunner's promotional efforts?

It is Number 2 on Billboard, 103,000 copies

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 20 2012, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 20 2012, 08:15 AM)
95K sold.  I think that's about 2,000 more copies than S&A's first week?

I think 95,000 is only physical copies. RIAB is saying 103,000 total sold. Which would be an even 10,000 more than S&A's first week. So, are there 10,000 more Rush fans than there were 5 years ago, or is that the value of Roadrunner's promotional efforts?

S&A had 93,000 physical copies sold in its first week. So they are pretty much the same, give or take.

I heard that a site tracked the illegal torrent downloads and counted 680,000 copies of CA downloaded after the leak.

Apparently they've already sold 60 million copies in China.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 20 2012, 01:57 PM)
Apparently they've already sold 60 million copies in China.

What a bunch of slackers.

I can't recall the last time a new Rush disc was so anticipated and getting such positive feedback. In this day of downloads, can a CD actually sell well no matter how good it is? Safe to say this recording is an instant classic, IMHO.

Plenty of artists are selling millions of copies through digital downloads. Rush will sell somewhere around 500k like they always do. They arent that popular anymore so its not possible for them to sell a million copies anymore.

It doesnt matter what the reviews are. There isnt a million people in this world interested in new Rush albums. We have many years of proof of that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 01:27 PM)

Plenty of artists are selling millions of copies through digital downloads. Rush will sell somewhere around 500k like they always do. They arent that popular anymore so its not possible for them to sell a million copies anymore.

It doesnt matter what the reviews are. There isnt a million people in this world interested in new Rush albums. We have many years of proof of that.

Reeeally trennnnkennn... years of proof? Show me the proof! laugh.gif

Oh and while you're at it, goober is waiting for utube links in treeducks rate all 3 album thread. Don't be a troll.. help a goober out.

rofl3.gif

Sounds about right.

How many people would you guess attend Rush concerts in a tour? (average)

34 US shows X ~15,000/show = ~510,000

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jun 20 2012, 02:11 PM)

Sounds about right.

No sir, not looking for concert attendance. Not even album sales. trenken said there isn't a million people in the world interested in a new Rush album, and that there's proof. I think there is a million people on Earth interested in new Rush albums, but I have no proof. I'd like to see the available proof to the contrary.

I know I'm being a bit of a stinker, but ya know, when someone like trenken does some hit and run posting, well.. I had fun for a minute anyway. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 11:27 AM)

I think they're as popular as they've ever been. People just don't "buy" albums like they used to. Now people torrent new albums.

The fact that they regularly have very successful tours is proof that a lot of people love Rush enough to see them in person.

The fact that, as someone pointed out upthread, 6 times as many people torrented than bought the new Rush album is proof that... well.. many people would rather rip off an artist than pay $7.99 for art.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 01:50 PM)

Oh and while you're at it, goober is waiting for utube links in treeducks rate all 3 album thread. Don't be a troll.. help a goober out.

rofl3.gif

Uh pretty much everyone knows they havent sold much over 500k of any album in a loooooooooooooooong time.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jun 20 2012, 02:11 PM)

Sounds about right.

There are Rush fans who go to their shows who have no interest in their new music. I saw plenty of people at the S&A show at PNC that clearly didnt know the new songs or care about them.

There might be roughly 500k people in the world that still buy their new music, and a bunch that just go to the shows to see their old favorites.

QUOTE (pablorkcz @ Jun 20 2012, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 11:27 AM)

I think they're as popular as they've ever been. People just don't "buy" albums like they used to. Now people torrent new albums.

The fact that they regularly have very successful tours is proof that a lot of people love Rush enough to see them in person.

The fact that, as someone pointed out upthread, 6 times as many people torrented than bought the new Rush album is proof that... well.. many people would rather rip off an artist than pay $7.99 for art.

Why were they averaging around 500k before the internet even came along?

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 12:27 PM)

Number of people who find trenken interesting:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/redscaledpirhana/26b7854a1213149fd0dcfee2c5c56eb4.jpg

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 20 2012, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 12:27 PM)

Number of people who find trenken interesting:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/redscaledpirhana/26b7854a1213149fd0dcfee2c5c56eb4.jpg

There is only 1---himself, and i am not even sure about that rofl3.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 01:50 PM)

rofl3.gif

Uh pretty much everyone knows they havent sold much over 500k of any album in a loooooooooooooooong time.

You didn't notice a few posts down from this that I wasn't serious.. and you answered anyway? laugh.gif I think I liked you better when you were a spaz.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 20 2012, 02:55 PM)
Isn't the fact that they haven't sold a million copies of an album since Roll The Bones proof enough?

rtb actually sold a million copies?

Actually, several million. Best Selling Rush Album since Power Windows, and nothing after it has come close since.