Geddy's Backing Band

Jmo2112

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 19 2012, 12:45 PM)
Yep, no value in this thread. Just a lot of bashing Rush members by a few snooty know-it-alls. Gotta love the internet. yes.gif

So you're telling us that you love Lifeson's solos and tone on this album???

Yes sir I do. He's not soloing everywhere, but that's not what he does anymore. I love his work here, and his tone. What's to not like about his tone. Wait don't answer, I don't want to debate his tone or solos. Look at my user name & avatar. Trying to convince me Alex isn't shining on this album will be futile! 1287.gif And now this thread has even less value than before. I'm sorry I answered you. doh.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where this could be a "geddy" solo album. A lot of the melodies do remind me of 'My Favorite Headache"

Still soaking it all in. It is a great album.

Putting aside all the crap this thread has brought up about the supposed inferiority of the members of the band...

I do have to say that the playing is strong all the way through this album. The vocals, however, do not impress me.

And I agree that this has a lot of "My Favourite Headache" on it.

How anyone can complain or be unimpressed or unhappy or otherwise nonplussed about Peart's playing on CA is far beyond my comprehension.

I'd love to see you world renowned drummers handed the raw music and see what kind of drumming masterpiece you come up with.

CA is some of his finest drumming ever. Period. As for Ged, he's wailing on vocals and playing some killer bass. He's in top form too.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 19 2012, 08:31 PM)
How anyone can complain or be unimpressed or unhappy or otherwise nonplussed about Peart's playing on CA is far beyond my comprehension.

I'd love to see you world renowned drummers handed the raw music and see what kind of drumming masterpiece you come up with.

CA is some of his finest drumming ever. Period. As for Ged, he's wailing on vocals and playing some killer bass. He's in top form too.

Agreed. Peart in fine form here.....one of his finest performances....more improvisational and loose than recent albums and with great groove and flow. Gruber instructed him well. His parts are not as structured, but that is by design. Cannot believe how slick his chops are at this age and I definitely feel the spaces and air between the drum sounds much more.....very fluid and flowing.

I really could not disagree more with this. I think this is Alex Lifeson's album, and his cool licks, arpeggios, and solos carry the album. I haven't heard him play like this since Counterparts. I am no musician, so I can't comment on how technically difficult any of it is to play, I just know what my ears like from Big Al, and the dude can riff like no other

I actually think Geddy's vocals are the one part of the album that is lacking. Really not his fault, he just can't hit them like he used to. Specifically, there are moments on The Anarchist, Seven Cities of Gold, and Carnies that are a bit cringe worthy. Geddy is the man, and he is giving his all and his bass playing is phenomenal, but I think the vocals in some parts are just not there