Clockwork Angels Redeems Rush Even Further

rushgoober

While Clockwork Angels is heads and shoulders better than Vapor Trails, I don't think that Vapor Trails is that bad, except for some production issues.

I quite like it musically and lyrically.

I mean c'mon, there's nothing as bad as "Dog Years" on it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 19 2012, 04:24 PM)
[i mean c'mon, there's nothing as bad as "Dog Years" on it.[/b]

Hmm...you're wrong there IMO.

Peaceable Kingdom, The Stars Look Down, Freeze, and Out of the Cradle off the top of my head would rank lower for me personally.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:10 AM)
After a nearly flawless run from 1974-1987, there was the mediocre Presto and not so hot RTB.

Counterparts was a HUGE comeback album.

Then there was the seriously lackluster TFE, followed by VT, which was not only Rush's sole truly awful album, but one that is (IMO) a true embarrassment to their legacy, and not just because of the obvious sonic problems, although that certainly didn't help.

Thankfully, they turned it around AGAIN with another comeback album in S&A.

I was truly afraid the pattern would repeat: 2 sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album, then 2 more sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album... and yet CA broke the mold, with an album that's probably better than S&A AND Counterparts. It's probably (not quite ready to fully commit yet) their best album since HYF!

So anyway, with S&A, and now especially with CA, it's a HUGE step forward in redeeming Rush after VT, and while that wound will never truly heal, the scar is becoming less and less noticeable.

Have at it!

popcorn.gif

Agree with most of your post, with the following differences:

The flawless period is from 1974-1984, ending with Grace. PoW is ok, but far from flawless, and HYF (IMO) is soft rock.

Presto was mediocre for sure, RTB was just plain bad.

CP is the best album of the 90s and far superior to VT and SA, but wasnt a huge comeback. Unfortunately it wasnt noticed enough. (agree that TFE was lackluster).

VT is bad.

SA has not held up well at all.

Clockwork is a top 10 all time Rush album and a true return to form. The best overall Rush album since Grace and their best work since CP

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:10 AM)
After a nearly flawless run from 1974-1987, there was the mediocre Presto and not so hot RTB. 

Counterparts was a HUGE comeback album.

Then there was the seriously lackluster TFE, followed by VT, which was not only Rush's sole truly awful album, but one that is (IMO) a true embarrassment to their legacy, and not just because of the obvious sonic problems, although that certainly didn't help.

Thankfully, they turned it around AGAIN with another comeback album in S&A. 

I was truly afraid the pattern would repeat: 2 sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album, then 2 more sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album... and yet CA broke the mold, with an album that's probably better than S&A AND Counterparts.  It's probably (not quite ready to fully commit yet) their best album since HYF!

So anyway, with S&A, and now especially with CA, it's a HUGE step forward in redeeming Rush after VT, and while that wound will never truly heal, the scar is becoming less and less noticeable.

Have at it!

popcorn.gif

Agree with most of your post, with the following differences:

The flawless period is from 1974-1984, ending with Grace. PoW is ok, but far from flawless, and HYF (IMO) is soft rock.

Presto was mediocre for sure, RTB was just plain bad.

CP is the best album of the 90s and far superior to VT and SA, but wasnt a huge comeback. Unfortunately it wasnt noticed enough. (agree that TFE was lackluster).

VT is bad.

SA has not held up well at all.

Clockwork is a top 10 all time Rush album and a true return to form. The best overall Rush album since Grace and their best work since CP

goodpost.gif I couldn't have said it better myself. We have very similar opinions trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 19 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 19 2012, 02:34 PM)
If it's a battle between the S&A army and the VT army, no one will run out of bombs any time soon.

The S&A Army is much bigger, alas. sad.gif

But if it comes to aggression, VT could kick that pansy ass S&A up and down the block! 1287.gif

Well yeah...you guys would simply put up a wall of noise.

How could we compete? Maybe we'll call CA for backup? tongue.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif