I Think A Big Reason This Record Is So Good.....

presto123

Is because Geddy is playing bass like he did in the 80's and there is just such a flow to the record. At what point did he decide to change the style he had been playing on the last few records? I guess SnA had glimpses but not to this extent.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 09:24 PM)
I don't think any Rush album in the past 20 years has had such consistently awesome up-front bass.

trink39.gif It is good to have the old Gedster back. Although any Geddy is a good Geddy. wink.gif

Many reasons.

(1) Geddy Lee let it loose this album. The bass is primus quality.

(2) The songs flow, like you said.

(3) The lyrics work. They're not cheesy.

(4) The drums are loose without getting too flashy. Good balance.

(5) Geddy doesn't oversing as much as he did on Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.

(6) There is a lot of depth on this album. Lots of cool sound effects and little nuggets that help divert us from Lifeson's wall of sound.

(7) The album is -driving-: it's constantly propelling forward, for the most part. It's a lot like Grace Under Pressure.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 09:22 PM)
Is because Geddy is playing bass like he did in the 80's and there is just such a flow to the record. At what point did he decide to change the style he had been playing on the last few records? I guess SnA had glimpses but not to this extent.

Im a big time Geddy bass player lover and have been playing bass a very long time, and although he is busier at times on this album than some previous ones, it is definitely not on the level of what he was doing on PoW and HYF. I can guarantee that. Not even really close.

He's doing a lot of mid tempo scale runs now, but on those 2 albums he was doing some very creative jazz and chord work, some of which was very fast, like those runs at the end of The Weapon. Nothing close to that fast on this album.

I remember in the VT Rush in Rio vid he talked about his tendon problems in his plucking hand and since then he's never been quite as fast or complex as he was. The playing is better now, but not on the level it was.

Most of the tunes are boring. It doesn't have definition. It's one of their worst efforts. It just doesn't work for me. Wish it did cause I love the bands music catalog except for CA. Guitar just ain't cuttin it. Geddy should have put out another solo record instead. He's the main written anyhow. There are some tunes that are good. Just not one great song. SnA is a better listening experience. Even VT is better written. What happened. Age I guess.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 09:36 PM)
Many reasons.

(1) Geddy Lee let it loose this album. The bass is primus quality.
(2) The songs flow, like you said.
(3) The lyrics work. They're not cheesy.
(4) The drums are loose without getting too flashy. Good balance.
(5) Geddy doesn't oversing as much as he did on Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.
(6) There is a lot of depth on this album. Lots of cool sound effects and little nuggets that help divert us from Lifeson's wall of sound.
(7) The album is -driving-: it's constantly propelling forward, for the most part. It's a lot like Grace Under Pressure.

A RUSH masterpiece in other words...

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 4 2012, 10:14 PM)
Most of the tunes are boring. It doesn't have definition. It's one of their worst efforts. It just doesn't work for me. Wish it did cause I love the bands music catalog except for CA. Guitar just ain't cuttin it. Geddy should have put out another solo record instead. He's the main written anyhow. There are some tunes that are good. Just not one great song. SnA is a better listening experience. Even VT is better written. What happened. Age I guess.

i'm not sure if ca is better than vt, i'll have to revisit vt, but the few that i do like from ca, it's definitely better than anything on s & a.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think these songs are more exciting and full of life than anything on Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 10:17 PM)

i'm not sure if ca is better than vt, i'll have to revisit vt, but the few that i do like from ca, it's definitely better than anything on s & a.

Clockwork Angels > Snakes & Arrows > Vapor Trails > Caress of Steel !

tongue.gif

For some reason, I'm hearing this post spoken in the voice of Steven Wright...

http://www.clevescene.com/binary/437a/1297369320-steven-wright.jpg

tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 10:44 PM)

For some reason, I'm hearing this post spoken in the voice of Steven Wright...

http://www.clevescene.com/binary/437a/1297369320-steven-wright.jpg

tongue.gif

z7shysterical.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 4 2012, 09:14 PM)

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I hold the opposite opinion on... well, pretty much the majority of the sentences you wrote tongue.gif