KANSAS...the band

launchpad67a

Heard a Kansas tune on the radio today and thought this would make a good topic for Rush fans. I have always considered them one of my favorite bands. I have seen them in concert about 10 times, always an amazing musical show!

Anyone (young fans especially) who have never heard this group, please check them out. Great, great vocals, musicianship and song writting.

Forgot how much this band influenced my music career. A true inspiration! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite possibly the most underrated prog band from the '70s to mid-'80s. Most people know them from "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Dust In The Wind," but Kansas (on mainly their first five studio albums) belongs in the same category as Genesis and Yes for orchestral-sounding prog-rock. Kerry Livgren, who wrote most of their "deep, pondering" tunes, was equally adept at both lead guitar and keyboards, which when combined with Steve Walsh's searing organ playing and Richard Williams' "meatwall" heavy guitar, made the band sound both like a hard rock band and an art-rock prog band. Steve Walsh had an instantly recognizable voice, and he could sing his ass off. Having a full-time violinist in Robby Steinhardt also helped define their unique sound. In any one song they could go from a loud twin-guitar/organ attack to a soft piano/violin duet. Kansas was very diverse.

Growing up I was into Led Zep, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Boston, and the whole southern rock thing. Then I heard Kansas' Leftoverture album, featuring a 6:41 instrumental (with a small vocal section thrown in) named "Magnum Opus." It featured tricky time changes and insane playing. I'd never heard anything like it, and that album introduced me to prog rock. A couple of years later Rush's Permanent Waves came out, and I haven't listened to Ted Nugent since. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 9 2005, 10:44 PM)
Heard a Kansas tune on the radio today and thought this would make a good topic for Rush fans. I have always considered them one of my favorite bands. I have seen them in concert about 10 times, always an amazing musical show!
Anyone (young fans especially) who have never heard this group, please check them out. Great, great vocals, musicianship and song writting.
Forgot how much this band influenced my music career. A true inspiration! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think the band is awesome. Their CD box set is something worth owning. When my wife and I were first dating we went to go see them at some Sun Tan Jam thing. I was so blown away by their performance. These guys kicked ass. Their lead singer was astounding. He had so much energy, and never stopped moving for a moment. They played so tight, and like Launch said, their musicianship was out of control.

I kept saying that these guys belonged in an arena. A great show.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 9 2005, 09:44 PM)

I love "the wall" cool.gif I saw them only once back in 77" opening up for Sammy Hagar" I thought they were very good. I still like to listen to them when I am in the mood. Brings back the good ole' "High School" day's 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 9 2005, 11:49 PM)
I really MUST check this band out. smile.gif

Troutman's right about The Wall - one of my favs. You'd love it GG. Another one they played live when I saw them (and I believe is on the box set) is this song called Wheels. I really got into it.

Here's a topic right up my alley.Kansas and Rush, my 2 favorites neck and neck through the 70's. Ultimately though Rush would stand alone on top based mostly on consistency. Been to twice as many Kansas shows as they have been,of course,much more accessable playing fairs and festivals throughout the midwest.They are touring Europe right now.Look for Proto-Kaw, Before came After recent release from Livgren,s reincarnation of the original Kansas. Very ,very cool.Much like Rush,Kansas does not fit neatly in to any one category as the best description is simply their name,because no one else compares.The common theme here is that my favorite Kansas music are the deep cuts,especially from the first 3 albums. And as a side note,another well deserving rock band ignored by the ridiculously foolish RRHF.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 9 2005, 10:57 PM)
I really MUST check this band out.  smile.gif

Troutman's right about The Wall - one of my favs. You'd love it GG. Another one they played live when I saw them (and I believe is on the box set) is this song called Wheels. I really got into it.

Thanks Pags !!! applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif cheer.gif 653.gif trink39.gif Your "slacking off " GG rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 9 2005, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 9 2005, 10:57 PM)
I really MUST check this band out.  smile.gif

Thanks Pags !!! applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif cheer.gif 653.gif trink39.gif Your "slacking off " GG rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

blush4.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 9 2005, 11:09 PM)
I sent GG copies of "Magnum Opus" and "Miracles Out Of Nowhere" a while ago. Did she listen to them? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

I'm so ashamed... fists crying.gif

I sent GG copies of "Magnum Opus" and "Miracles Out Of Nowhere" a while ago. Did she listen to them? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

WELL HEY SLACKER laugh.gif rofl3.gif START HERE wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/Leftover1.jpg

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 9 2005, 11:13 PM)

WELL HEY SLACKER laugh.gif rofl3.gif START HERE wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/Leftover1.jpg

Yes...I will...

*properly chastised now*

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 9 2005, 09:09 PM)

'Miracles out of Nowhere' is one of the greatest tunes ever written.

Lets not forget 'Song For America'!

I would be happy to send a mixed cd of this band to Anyone, who wants to listen.

Steve Walsh is/was one of the best rock singers.

Edited by launchpad67a

While I obviously know Carry On By Wayward Son and Dust In The Wind, the only Kansas album I own is "Song For America".

I bought it in '82 in a record shop "bargain bin" on the basis that I loked the cover and the hairy lumberjack image of the band pic on the back.

It's an amazing album, but at the time I was building up my back catalogue of another band, and never really got into exploring Kansas more.

I must consider doing so.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 10 2005, 09:22 AM)
Listen to the 'Title' track!

"Across the sea there came a multitude, sailing ships upon the wave.

Filled with visions of Utopia, and the freedom that they crave.

Ravage, plunder, see no wonder, rape and kill and tear asunder,

chop the forest, plough it under"

I do.

Frequently!!!!!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 10 2005, 03:51 AM)

OMG - YES. I did not think about that song last night when checking out this thread. It's probably my favorite of them all. It's over 9 minutes long, and it just flys by. I love this tune.

Now it's playing in my head - AWESOME!! 653.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 9 2005, 08:28 PM)
Quite possibly the most underrated prog band from the '70s to mid-'80s. Most people know them from "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Dust In The Wind," but Kansas (on mainly their first five studio albums) belongs in the same category as Genesis and Yes for orchestral-sounding prog-rock. Kerry Livgren, who wrote most of their "deep, pondering" tunes, was equally adept at both lead guitar and keyboards, which when combined with Steve Walsh's searing organ playing and Richard Williams' "meatwall" heavy guitar, made the band sound both like a hard rock band and an art-rock prog band. Steve Walsh had an instantly recognizable voice, and he could sing his ass off. Having a full-time violinist in Robby Steinhardt also helped define their unique sound. In any one song they could go from a loud twin-guitar/organ attack to a soft piano/violin duet. Kansas was very diverse.

Growing up I was into Led Zep, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Boston, and the whole southern rock thing. Then I heard Kansas' Leftoverture album, featuring a 6:41 instrumental (with a small vocal section thrown in) named "Magnum Opus." It featured tricky time changes and insane playing. I'd never heard anything like it, and that album introduced me to prog rock. A couple of years later Rush's Permanent Waves came out, and I haven't listened to Ted Nugent since. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

I've always loved Kansas, Leftoverture is a phenominol album!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 10 2005, 03:51 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 9 2005, 09:09 PM)

'Miracles out of Nowhere' is one of the greatest tunes ever written.

I would be happy to send a mixed cd of this band to Anyone, who wants to listen.

"Miracles" is the prototypical Kansas song. Wonderful melodies and chord changes, two lead vocalists switching back and forth, a four-point counterpoint (melody against melody) section, and a heavy ending that literally comes "out of nowhere."

"Song For America" is amazing. A ten-minute melodic mid-tempo song with a very cool 9/8 instrumental break in the middle. Very typical of this band -- they make you think a song is going one way, then they completely change gears.