Second Nature

trenken

I had my ipod on shuffle today and Second Nature came on. I dont think Ive listened to that song in a couple years now. It really is a great song and I'm surprised they haven't played it live yet.

It has such a powerful chorus, it seems like it would work great live, so it would be really nice if they pulled that out of the vault for this tour. Just that 1 song to represent HYF. No real need to play anything else on that album IMO.

Really good song but it would kill the crowd live. It makes sense that they've never played it. I can't speak for any other shows on the S&A tour but Mission did not go over well at all at my show. So, i'm suspecting that Second Nature would get a worse reception.

I definitely like it. A great tune.

Now that you mention it, I actually do recall hearing on one of the previous tours (I think it was R30)...that they had actually tried it in sound-check to do as part of their 'acoustic set', but I guess in the end, they just didn't feel it.

I still much prefer Open Secrets, Prime Mover, and Lock & Key over this one...especially for the live setting, but I wouldn't be upset to hear this one either.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 28 2012, 06:03 PM)
Eh, considering I can still enjoy S&A, T4E, VT, and RTB entirely, I don't consider not liking one song from an entire discography much of a loss in comparison to most of the people on this forum.

I will take it any day over the tune RTB. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 28 2012, 06:43 PM)
Your loss, troutman!

Just kidding with ya, man. To each his own.  trink39.gif

laugh.gif

It's all good. Music is some thing we all have different opinions about. That's why I love 2.gif trink39.gif

Rush is far too diverse for everyone to like every single song, I understand this and that's why I never get into debates like "YOU DON'T LIKE HEADLONG FLIGHT?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" Diff'rent strokes. I can understand why someone would like Second Nature, it's a good song, just not something I prefer when I listen to Rush. To me, it just stands out like a sore thumb on their entire catalog. I mean, like it or not, gotta admit it is quite a departure in terms of average Rush song tempos. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a slow song, but it just sounds odd to me with Rush. Well, I've already totally over-analyzed the entire subject so I'll stop now. laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 28 2012, 09:12 PM)
I definitely like it. A great tune.

Now that you mention it, I actually do recall hearing on one of the previous tours (I think it was R30)...that they had actually tried it in sound-check to do as part of their 'acoustic set', but I guess in the end, they just didn't feel it.

I still much prefer Open Secrets, Prime Mover, and Lock & Key over this one...especially for the live setting, but I wouldn't be upset to hear this one either.

I remember reading that interview were Geddy talks about playing Second Nature live. It was during the R30 tour and he said something to the point where he thought that an acoustic version of it would be a great treatment for the song. I don't remember if they actually tried it out during soundcheck but they did consider playing it at one point during the development of the setlist that tour.

Honestly, I would've preferred an acoustic version of Second Nature over Heart Full of Soul. Not that I don't like the song or the original version, but that would've been a good opportunity to get in a song never performed live onto a live album, and other than the Feedback songs, every song on the R30 set was played live at some point.

While not a huge fan of HYF (the tour was the worst Rush show I've seen), I do like Second Nature. However, I concur with those who believe it would be like a Romanian Cheese Curd Fart in an elevator, live.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 28 2012, 07:18 PM)
While not a huge fan of HYF (the tour was the worst Rush show I've seen), I do like Second Nature. However, I concur with those who believe it would be like a Romanian Cheese Curd Fart in an elevator, live.

Well,

I would agree with you if it were You Bet Your Life or Neurotica laugh.gif

I have a really hard time audiolizing what an acoustic version of this song would sound like.

Really wish they played this instead of Resist (again) on the R30 tour.

Edited by savagegrace26

I can see it not working if done acoustically, it might be really dull, but on the album it's very powerful. That chorus just really kicks me in the gut, it's very high emotion with the chord progression and soaring vocal melodies.

I miss the fact that they dont write songs with powerful choruses like that anymore. Well they sort of did with Freeze, but I wish they would do it more. And I always feel like songs with strong choruses like that work well live, like Marathon, stuff like that.

"Now I lay me down in Dreamland" are arguably Neil's silliest lyrics ever. Couldn't he come up with something a little better than that? That one line makes the song laughable, IMO.